banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 22:24 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Textron! We need an M3!! (Citation CJ2+)
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 10:47 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
You need a shit-ton of insurance.

There is no possible way to buy enough insurance that my net worth is protected for a worst case exposure.

Once you realize that, then it is a matter of where on the curve you want to be. My intuition tells me that liability is either relatively modest, say taxi incident into another airplane on the ramp, or extremely high, say fatal accident. In other words, kind of bimodal.

So I buy enough insurance to cover a modest liability exposure and accept that I can't cover the extreme case. The practical difference between $1M and $10M liability is rather small when something really goes wrong as I expect few judgments will fall in that range.

As for medical malpractice in the example given above, Indiana limits liability much in the same ay as workmen's comp.

https://www.ismanet.org/pdf/legal/Overv ... ummary.pdf

Indiana, at least, realizes that outrageous court cases awarding lottery sized judgments hurts everyone in the end, so it is a matter of state law to limit those awards to "reasonable" amounts.

As to workmen's comp, not all companies operating in Indiana allow travel of employees by company plane. We are careful to choose coverage which explicitly allows this. This is an indication that workmen's comp does apply to travel on a company plane. It is a well established matter of case law that an employee injured at work is bound by the state law for workmen's comp, and traveling as an employee is "at work".

The workmen's comp underwriter even wanted my training certificate at our last renewal. That's being very detailed about it. The number of potential underwriters increased when we got the jet, too, seems that's considered safer, which it is.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 11:00 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7324
Company: Jet Acquisitions
You need a shit-ton of insurance.

There is no possible way to buy enough insurance that my net worth is protected for a worst case exposure.

Once you realize that, then it is a matter of where on the curve you want to be. My intuition tells me that liability is either relatively modest, say taxi incident into another airplane on the ramp, or extremely high, say fatal accident. In other words, kind of bimodal.

So I buy enough insurance to cover a modest liability exposure and accept that I can't cover the extreme case. The practical difference between $1M and $10M liability is rather small when something really goes wrong as I expect few judgments will fall in that range.

As for medical malpractice in the example given above, Indiana limits liability much in the same ay as workmen's comp.

https://www.ismanet.org/pdf/legal/Overv ... ummary.pdf

Indiana, at least, realizes that outrageous court cases awarding lottery sized judgments hurts everyone in the end, so it is a matter of state law to limit those awards to "reasonable" amounts.

As to workmen's comp, not all companies operating in Indiana allow travel of employees by company plane. We are careful to choose coverage which explicitly allows this. This is an indication that workmen's comp does apply to travel on a company plane. It is a well established matter of case law that an employee injured at work is bound by the state law for workmen's comp, and traveling as an employee is "at work".

The workmen's comp underwriter even wanted my training certificate at our last renewal. That's being very detailed about it. The number of potential underwriters increased when we got the jet, too, seems that's considered safer, which it is.

Mike C.

I'm no more an insurance expert than I am a tax expert, but you are missing three points.

1. Indiana law isn't going to mean much unless the crash is in Indiana, and maybe not even then.

2. The idea is to have enough to feed the wolves, in other words, attorneys want to get paid, they're not out to bankrupt you, they just want a good payday. 33% of $1M won't cover their expenses. No attorney is gong to be happy with $330k... now $3.3M they might call good from you and focus on the other defendants.

3. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 11:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +787
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5

1. Indiana law isn't going to mean much unless the crash is in Indiana, and maybe not even then.

I would suggest MC discuss with his work comp broker/provider ramifications of crashing in NY or CA for instance and applicability of IN "state law" respects settling with employees/next of kin.

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 11:11 

WWW  Profile

I would suggest MC discuss with his work comp broker/provider ramifications of crashing in NY or CA for instance

We have done so since our employees travel a fair amount.

CA and NY have full reciprocity with Indiana on workmen's comp laws as they apply to us. This means that as long as my employees don't work "too much" in another state, Indiana law applies. Too much varies with each state but the shortest is WV at 30 days and most are 90 days or 6 months. We never reach those limits.

International is another story that is more complex, but I don't fly internationally.

Quote:
applicability of IN "state law" respects settling with employees/next of kin.

Indiana Code 22-3-2-6:

"The rights and remedies granted to an employee subject to IC 22-3-2 through IC 22-3-6 on account of personal injury or death by accident shall exclude all other rights and remedies of such employee, the employee's personal representatives, dependents, or next of kin, at common law or otherwise, on account of such injury or death"

The state code explicitly deals with next of kin.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 11:27 

WWW  Profile

It does make a difference, per workmen's comp reciprocity agreements among states. My employees are not considered to be employed in other states based on those agreements and their limited time in those states.

Quote:
2. The idea is to have enough to feed the wolves, in other words, attorneys want to get paid, they're not out to bankrupt you, they just want a good payday. 33% of $1M won't cover their expenses. No attorney is gong to be happy with $330k... now $3.3M they might call good from you and focus on the other defendants.

I think you have this backwards.

If I have a $10M liability policy, the lawyers will be MORE interested in suing than if I have a $1M policy. Once they get past the policy limits, they know personal bankruptcy may make their judgment moot. In other words, the bigger the steak you carry around, the more the wolves will be after it.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 11:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4411
Aircraft: B200, 500B
If I have a $10M liability policy, the lawyers will be MORE interested in suing than if I have a $1M policy. Once they get past the policy limits, they know personal bankruptcy may make their judgment moot.

You're not bankrupt until your assets are gone, and you said earlier your net worth is such that insurance to protect your assets isn't possible.

They'll happily sue you for $10M even if it comes from your assets. It's what they do; it's their business model.

Last edited on 10 Apr 2023, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 11:56 

WWW  Profile

They'll happily sue you for $10M even if it comes from your assets. It's what they do; it's their business model.

Of course they will. They'll sue for $100M.

It doesn't matter if they sue for $1 more than your net worth or $100M more.

The lawyers know, however, that collecting from other than insurance is harder. Bankruptcy will occur, they will be one of many unsecured creditors, certain assets are protected (in some cases, primary residence, retirement accounts), and so forth.

You can bet all injury lawyers seek to find out the policy limits as a first assessment of the suit potential. Personal assets are much harder to find and collect.

Case in point:

Tamarack had a huge liability from the 2018 fatal crash where their winglet thingy was blamed. Following that, they declared bankruptcy which firewalled their liability. The suit was settled out of court, and while no details have been released, I strongly suspect the settlement was equal or less than the liability policy limits since the bankruptcy essentially limited what other funds could be collected. They reorganized and are back in business.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 12:03 

WWW  Profile

Of course they will. They'll sue for $100M.

It doesn't matter if they sue for $1 more than your net worth or $100M more.

The lawyers know, however, that collecting from other than insurance is harder. Bankruptcy will occur, they will be one of many unsecured creditors, certain assets are protected (in some cases, primary residence, retirement accounts), and so forth.

You can bet all injury lawyers seek to find out the policy limits as a first assessment of the suit potential. Personal assets are much harder to find and collect.

Case in point:

Tamarack had a huge liability from the 2018 fatal crash where their winglet thingy was blamed. Following that, they declared bankruptcy which firewalled their liability. The suit was settled out of court, and while no details have been released, I strongly suspect the settlement was equal or less than the liability policy limits since the bankruptcy essentially limited what other funds could be collected. They reorganized and are back in business.

Mike C.

Now you seem to be arguing against yourself.

You okay Mike?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 13:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +151
Aircraft: 2008 Bonanza G36TN
Question to the Jet guys!

Is there any VLJ that can be safely operated on a 2400ft runway, no obstacles and 1350ft elevation?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 13:58 

WWW  Profile

Question to the Jet guys!

Is there any VLJ that can be safely operated on a 2400ft runway, no obstacles and 1350ft elevation?

The answer you want, but don't want: Yes! (with a big fat asterisk)

The questions that the asterisk asks: How much do you want to carry, and how far do you want to go?

Once you answer those second two questions, we can give you an idea of whether or not there's a real-world answer to your first question.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 15:45 

Post Likes: +960
Aircraft: A36
I'm no more an insurance expert than I am a tax expert, but you are missing three points.

This is just not how the legal world works. It's a bit like arguing with medical professionals when one lacks the medical background. Here, what's lacking is the legal background. Law is not intuitive and cannot be understood without training and domain knowledge.

For example, whether or not Indiana law applies is a very complicated question. Whether or not the crash is in Indiana is not even close to the first consideration. Attorneys don't get paid expenses. And they don't simply get paid by the defendant in any case. And finally, what can and cannot be used in a court is another complicated topic that has little to do with "whatever you say".

I think we should stick to our lane here, which is not insurance, and certainly not law. With all due respect.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 16:13 

WWW  Profile

This is just not how the legal world works. It's a bit like arguing with medical professionals when one lacks the medical background. Here, what's lacking is the legal background. Law is not intuitive and cannot be understood without training and domain knowledge.

For example, whether or not Indiana law applies is a very complicated question. Whether or not the crash is in Indiana is not even close to the first consideration. Attorneys don't get paid expenses. And they don't simply get paid by the defendant in any case. And finally, what can and cannot be used in a court is another complicated topic that has little to do with "whatever you say".

I think we should stick to our lane here, which is not insurance, and certainly not law. With all due respect.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but I do think I know enough to back up each of these statements.

1. Indiana Worker's Comp laws are probably not a sufficient shield for liability, no matter what state the accident were to occur in.

2. I didn't say that attorneys charge for expenses, I said a fee based on a million bucks wouldn't cover the expenses of taking on such an action. I also didn't say that they get paid by the defendant, a lawsuit of this nature would typically be handled on a contingency basis, that's where I came up with the 33%, not saying that is the number, it's just an example.

3. I'm not making a statement about what is or is not admissible, that's up to a Judge. I'm saying that if I were Mike I would not be making statements on a public forum that might come back and haunt me later.

On #3, if Mike was your client, what advice would you give him? Would you advise him that it is ok to makes statements such as “my liability is limited because of Indiana Worker's Comp laws”?

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2023, 11:15 

Post Likes: +173
You guys are giving lawyers, judges and the rest of the bottom feeders way too much credit. Most of them don't know the law, that is what appeals courts are for. They are only looking for the easy money, no easy money no lawsuit.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2023, 11:48 

WWW  Profile

Where does this idea that personal assets aren't easy to get come from?

At the end of a 3.5 year lawsuit with a half dozen continuances, 2 appeals, dozens of expert witnesses and reams of testimony, the sheriff will take approximately 3 days to repossess the Ferrari in the garage and put it up for auction. The lake house will take a little longer. Nobody will be able to hide either one in the Caymans.

Assets are assets, and smart people who are looking for money don't care what form they take. That big law firm didn't pay for their downtown office building by only going after easy money. They paid for it by going after ALL the money.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2023, 13:42 

WWW  Profile

At the end of a 3.5 year lawsuit with a half dozen continuances, 2 appeals, dozens of expert witnesses and reams of testimony, the sheriff will take approximately 3 days to repossess the Ferrari in the garage and put it up for auction. The lake house will take a little longer. Nobody will be able to hide either one in the Caymans.

Bankruptcy impedes all that.

A $50M judgment on a $5M net worth person will never be fully collected.

The limits in the insurance policy, however, are assured and collectable.

Ask any injury lawyer about that. If the defendant is well insured, nice target. If not, they will more often pass since collecting is harder and not assured.

Mike C.

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next