banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 14:01 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Textron! We need an M3!! (Citation CJ2+)
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2023, 15:34 

Post Likes: +350
Company: Cessna (retired)
I think we did SFAR on the 406, not due to weight or pilots, but to get more seats.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2023, 22:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
The Single Pilot Exemption came considerably later.

The first SPE was requested in 1983 and first issued in 1984:

https://downloads.regulations.gov/FAA-2 ... ment_2.pdf

That's a lot older than most people think it was. It was different than today in many respects.

Cessna's request was only 5 years after the 551 was certified (1978).

The SPE system is approaching 40 years in existence. That's a really long time and it means we really should migrate this odd ball thing to a CE-500S type rating. That would make a lot of sense.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2023, 22:58 

WWW  Profile

if things continue on the path we're on, the insurance companies will eventually mandate that all jets are manned by a crew.

Meanwhile, a pilot such as myself, low time in type, flying a Citation V, single pilot, has no trouble getting insurance. It costs me less than my MU2 for a higher hull coverage.

Bunches of other Citation pilots are flying single pilot, too.

If you want to fly a jet single pilot, don't be scared off by Chip. I don't believe his crystal ball is working on this prediction.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2023, 23:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7329
Company: Jet Acquisitions
if things continue on the path we're on, the insurance companies will eventually mandate that all jets are manned by a crew.

Meanwhile, a pilot such as myself, low time in type, flying a Citation V, single pilot, has no trouble getting insurance. It costs me less than my MU2 for a higher hull coverage.

Bunches of other Citation pilots are flying single pilot, too.

If you want to fly a jet single pilot, don't be scared off by Chip. I don't believe his crystal ball is working on this prediction.

Mike C.

Insurance rates have increased dramatically for owner flown, single pilot jets… I’m surprised you don’t know this?

I’m not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out that even though we have new single pilot jets like the Phenom 300E and PC-24, the cost of insurance for an owner to fly single pilot is all but prohibitive.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 03:02 

Post Likes: +302
Aircraft: M20J/R, Sr22, SR20
Is there any topic, any, that Chip and Mike won’t argue and disagree about?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 06:15 

Post Likes: +1829
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Chip/ isn’t that a function of hull value?

2% of a 2mm plane is a lot less money per year than 2% of a 10mm one.

Insurance doesn’t seem to have gone up any more than everything else in aviation.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 07:55 

WWW  Profile

Chip/ isn’t that a function of hull value?

2% of a 2mm plane is a lot less money per year than 2% of a 10mm one.

Insurance doesn’t seem to have gone up any more than everything else in aviation.

Hull value is a portion of it, but it’s not linear and insurance does charge a premium for single pilot, plus if you’re the owner, some carriers won’t write you at all. So that limits you to underwriters that will, at a less attractive rate.

(I hope I explained that correctly, one of our insurance guys can clarify if I didn’t)

There’s also steps in value that drive up cost, over about $3M seems to be a step, over about $7M another, and yes when you get north of $10M and want to fly single pilot, it gets really expensive.

So, it is hull value, but it’s also single pilot and the insurance companies do charge owner pilots a higher premium.

In my opinion, the insurance companies know they can charge a premium for owner flown SP because it’s cheaper for the owner to pay the higher insurance rates than it is to hire a SIC, and as Mike has pointed out, it’s not just paying them, it’s all of the hassle that goes with it.

Insurance has gone up overall, but it’s not bad for typical situations, which is my point, when you go atypical like owner SP, owner flown or turbine transition, it gets expensive, mainly because of lack of competition for those customers.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 08:26 

WWW  Profile

Insurance rates have increased dramatically for owner flown, single pilot jets… I’m surprised you don’t know this?

My insurance this year didn't go up hardly at all from last year. Under $12K/year. Owner flown single pilot. Not prohibitive.

This actual data from an actual owner.

Quote:
I’m not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out that even though we have new single pilot jets like the Phenom 300E and PC-24, the cost of insurance for an owner to fly single pilot is all but prohibitive.

Those are $10M airplanes. Anyone with that budget won't be deterred by the insurance premium, or hiring an SIC. That end of the spectrum is not representative of the majority of owner flown jets.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 09:30 

WWW  Profile

My insurance this year didn't go up hardly at all from last year. Under $12K/year. Owner flown single pilot. Not prohibitive.

This actual data from an actual owner.

Quote:

Those are $10M airplanes. Anyone with that budget won't be deterred by the insurance premium, or hiring an SIC. That end of the spectrum is not representative of the majority of owner flown jets.

Mike C.

Under $12k is really good, assuming you have adequate coverage.

I think most folks are paying a lot more than that.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 09:38 

Post Likes: +412
Aircraft: Phenom 100
Mike C.

Is that at a hull value of what you bought it for or a hull value of what it would cost to replace today? Our rates went up to cover the hull value increase but it wasn't substantially more. Liability limits stayed the same.

Chip-

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 09:39 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +787
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
Chip your post is spot on - there is a massive insurance landscape difference between a legacy Citation being owner flown and a new 300E, PC24, CJ4 owner flown - massive difference. Plenty of capacity for sub 3m owner/flown jets to secure "reasonable" premiums in the market versus very limited capacity in the above $5m hull value segment owner/flown. Your thresholds are also fairly accurate in terms of where the market tightens on owner/flown risks.

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

Last edited on 28 Mar 2023, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 09:42 

Post Likes: +3805
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Chip your post is spot on - there is a massive difference between a legacy Citation being owner flown and a new 300E, PC24, CJ4 owner flown - massive difference. Plenty of capacity for sub 3m owner/flown jets to secure "reasonable" premiums in the market versus very limited capacity in the above $5m hull value segment owner/flown. Your thresholds are also fairly accurate in terms of where the market tightens on owner/flown risks.

You are saying “owner flown”. Just to clarify, these are single pilot jets - if an owner hired a pilot who flew it single pilot, does that get the same insurance treatment? Or is it just “owner pilots” who get the higher rates?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 09:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +787
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
Chip your post is spot on - there is a massive difference between a legacy Citation being owner flown and a new 300E, PC24, CJ4 owner flown - massive difference. Plenty of capacity for sub 3m owner/flown jets to secure "reasonable" premiums in the market versus very limited capacity in the above $5m hull value segment owner/flown. Your thresholds are also fairly accurate in terms of where the market tightens on owner/flown risks.

You are saying “owner flown”. Just to clarify, these are single pilot jets - if an owner hired a pilot who flew it single pilot, does that get the same insurance treatment? Or is it just “owner pilots” who get the higher rates?

Owner flown - means the owner of the aircraft operating the aircraft in some capacity and insured to do so. A hired pilot would not be an owner. Professionally flown risks see more favorable insurance rates overall and typically higher limit options (depending on quals of course). :cheers:
E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

Last edited on 28 Mar 2023, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 09:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +230
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
Owner flown vs pro pilot flown amount to different premiums in my experience. Our policy specifies pro pilots only.

-The Citation Jet Exchange

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2023, 10:52 

WWW  Profile

Chip your post is spot on - there is a massive insurance landscape difference between a legacy Citation being owner flown and a new 300E, PC24, CJ4 owner flown - massive difference.

Exactly my point.

Completely different ecosystems and markets.

People who can't get owner flown insurance in a $12M PC-24 bear no reflection on those who are trying to do the same in a legacy Citation. Don't mix those two.

Mike C.

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next