banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 14:11 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Textron! We need an M3!! (Citation CJ2+)
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 19:03 

Post Likes: +89
Username Protected wrote:
I am confused, is the SF 50 not a jet? You say it's not a VLJ, what is it then?

I believe the FAA even treats it as such in the ATC system as far as not putting it on turbojet only arrivals.

It's all speed based. 501's and Mustangs can have the same problem. Look up some of the busier destinations, they will have minimum speeds to fly some STAR's.

I haven't heard this issue recently, but early on, one of the big complaints for Mustang owners was not being able to get to the high FL's, because ATC pinned them between the turboprops and the normal jet traffic (FL30-FL35) because of their speed limitations.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 19:21 

Post Likes: +412
Aircraft: Phenom 100
Agree with Bill on some points(disagree about the brakes, they are wonderful) - Cabin size, cockpit room, panel mounted yoke and air stair are what sold me on the Phenom over the M2. And that was even before I had ventured up off the runway in the M2. That cockpit and seating was not going to work for me in any seating position, unfortunately, as it's a sweet plane on paper otherwise.

The M2 door and stairs also just felt too much like getting into my Meridian and I was looking for an upgrade from that. I think passengers feel like they are getting on a much bigger jet when entering the Phenom because of the stairs and bigger door (and having 9' tall landing gear). And sometimes passenger perception becomes our reality especially when easing their flight concerns flying on a small(smaller than a 737) plane.

The speed and range of the M2 was nice, but for my 640 mile trip it equated to about 10 minutes in flight difference. Who wouldn't like more range like the M2 has for those longer than usual trips, but I'd rather stop than be that uncomfortable. Also the price delta made it an easy decision as the Phenom was (then) $2,000,000 less.

They got the cockpit right in the Mustang, would have been nice if they kept growing that platform instead of building on the 525 framework.

Chip-

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 19:24 

Post Likes: +3608
Aircraft: Piper M600
Also see some twin jet pilots moving into the SF50. Has a nice safety and social culture, easy to fly and comfy. Within its range payload limitations, it does its job quite well. Cirrus has the formula down for converting hearts and minds. I probably lean more toward the utility side of an airplane, and the SF50 just doesn’t fit some of my critical and some of my bucket list missions, so not right for me. I would guess it should classify as a VLJ. Where else would you classify it? Can’t argue with the fact they are outselling everything.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 19:41 

Post Likes: +89
Look at the numbers. In 2022, Textron 33 Citatoin M2s, Embraer sold 7 Phenom 100EVs. But then go up the ladder, in 2022 Embraer sold 59 Phenom 300/300Es. Textron sold 58 CJ3+ and CJ4s. At the bottom of the Citation line, Textron outsells Embraer almost 5:1. At the top of the Citation line Textron & Embraer are at parity. The 300 is a good airplane, great performance, great cabin, brakes a bit funky but they will work as advertised.

All the top manufacturers are maxed out in production. Total numbers and who is number one is a bit of red herring. Cessna and Embraer would love to be able to magically deliver more, but production lines don't work that way.

No need to bring back the CJ2+, if your maxed out in production capacity. There is also no need to fill a gap that no one else is competing for.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 19:45 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58
Look at the numbers. In 2022, Textron 33 Citatoin M2s, Embraer sold 7 Phenom 100EVs. But then go up the ladder, in 2022 Embraer sold 59 Phenom 300/300Es. Textron sold 58 CJ3+ and CJ4s. At the bottom of the Citation line, Textron outsells Embraer almost 5:1. At the top of the Citation line Textron & Embraer are at parity. The 300 is a good airplane, great performance, great cabin, brakes a bit funky but they will work as advertised.

All the top manufacturers are maxed out in production. Total numbers and who is number one is a bit of red herring. Cessna and Embraer would love to be able to magically deliver more, but production lines don't work that way.

No need to bring back the CJ2+, if your maxed out in production capacity. There is also no need to fill a gap that no one else is competing for.

Independent of the current backlog situations, those ratios have been true for a number of years. Not at all a red herring... look at the numbers for prior years,.... very consistent.

Last edited on 22 Mar 2023, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 19:49 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58
Agree with Bill on some points(disagree about the brakes, they are wonderful) - Cabin size, cockpit room, panel mounted yoke and air stair are what sold me on the Phenom over the M2. And that was even before I had ventured up off the runway in the M2. That cockpit and seating was not going to work for me in any seating position, unfortunately, as it's a sweet plane on paper otherwise.

The M2 door and stairs also just felt too much like getting into my Meridian and I was looking for an upgrade from that. I think passengers feel like they are getting on a much bigger jet when entering the Phenom because of the stairs and bigger door (and having 9' tall landing gear). And sometimes passenger perception becomes our reality especially when easing their flight concerns flying on a small(smaller than a 737) plane.

The speed and range of the M2 was nice, but for my 640 mile trip it equated to about 10 minutes in flight difference. Who wouldn't like more range like the M2 has for those longer than usual trips, but I'd rather stop than be that uncomfortable. Also the price delta made it an easy decision as the Phenom was (then) $2,000,000 less.

They got the cockpit right in the Mustang, would have been nice if they kept growing that platform instead of building on the 525 framework.

Chip-

Chip,
Agree on the ramp presence, door, stairs on the Phenom 100s. Rock solid.
Cabin also a big plus over the Citations.

The big issue for me was runway performance. My last four landings at home base, were at night in the snow. For a Phenom 100, the answer would have been No Go. Similar limitations when hot & wet.

For the life of me I don't know why Embraer does not retrofit the 100 with the same brake material that they use on the 300s. Also, why they don't provide a landing flaps position, not approach, but landing, on the ground, like the M2 has. Those two items should go a long way in improving runway performance on landing.

Demoed the 100 twice, so much wanted to have that plane.
When your home base is KLEB, 5,000' and winter weather... well...

Last edited on 22 Mar 2023, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 19:52 

Post Likes: +2400
Aircraft: Citation Mustang
It's all speed based. 501's and Mustangs can have the same problem. Look up some of the busier destinations, they will have minimum speeds to fly some STAR's.

I haven't heard this issue recently, but early on, one of the big complaints for Mustang owners was not being able to get to the high FL's, because ATC pinned them between the turboprops and the normal jet traffic (FL30-FL35) because of their speed limitations.

I haven't had those problems. When assigned a STAR that has crossing speeds above my max, I advise ATC of my max transition speed. 90% of the time they'll either tell me to fly normal speed or maintain max forward speed. Not a big deal.

Also, I've never been pinned down other than for normal level offs due to conflicting traffic, and it's usually brief. I fly at FL400 or FL410 often, and it's comfortably above the airline traffic. One key to flying a slower jet is to stay off the jet routes. Using more direct routes eliminates a bunch of traffic.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 20:50 

Post Likes: +412
Aircraft: Phenom 100
Bill reminded me also of another plus with the Citations and that is Cessna support which often gets put aside, but they really have it dialed in from everything I gather on forums and talking with owners.

As for the Phenom 100 vs 300 brakes, I wish it was as easy as a compound upgrade, but the P100 brakes are great and more stopping power won't help, it's their ABS logic that is the downfall. It calculates the amount of force allowed based on speed and grip and there's a few beats of a delay when you touch the brakes to when they engage. If you take your feet off the brakes because you don't feel them engaging and then re-engage the timer resets and it takes a few beats for them to engage again. Pilots took this to mean their brakes weren't working and pulled the parking brake lever. In reality they are just on "low" when friction is less than dry pavement, until you get below about 60 and then they seem to really engage.

If it had a lift dump that would probably help. I think the newer 100s have speedbrakes that can deploy on landing but I've heard the help is minimal.

Chip-

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 20:58 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +234
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
I'll second that - I can think of one occasion in 5 years, on a STAR into KAUS, that I was vectored off the arrival for about 3 minutes to let traffic pass, then rejoined. Otherwise no issues whatsoever in the Mustang.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 21:17 

Post Likes: +78
Aircraft: King Air C90
I manage and fly 10 aircraft, 8 of which are Citations. I just bid for a contract and compared it to their current (March 2023) 1/8th share fractional proposal. 100 hours in a P300 amounted to $640,000, or $6,400/hr. For the CJ2+, full ownership, 100 hours of flight time, fixed costs, management fees, maintenance and part time pilots (EVERYTHING) come in approx. 50% of their number. It's a no brainer.

-Citation Jet Exchange

We run 10 airplanes also, and I would agree, especially prior to the run up in purchase prices. However with the insane run up…different story today when you factor in cost of capital for purchase.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 21:28 

Post Likes: +110
Aircraft: SF50
I am confused, is the SF 50 not a jet? You say it's not a VLJ, what is it then?

It is a turboprop in capability and performance.

I believe the FAA even treats it as such in the ATC system as far as not putting it on turbojet only arrivals.

Mike C.

Your statement relative how the FAA treats the SF50 is incorrect. The SF50 is assigned the same arrival and departure procedures as any other jet. As best I can recall, I have never been assigned anything other than a turbojet procedure. I have been vectored off of the procedures a handful of times, but never for anything other than a few minutes.

I agree that it is more akin to a reasonably fast turboprop in terms of speed, and I would concede that it is generally less capable in terms of runway performance. It’s also quiet, comfortable, and damn easy to fly/operate/maintain, as compared to most turboprops.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023, 23:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7339
Company: Jet Acquisitions
I don't know what Textron pays for a set of Pratt PW615F-A's, but I will guarantee you it is considerably less than what they pay for a set of Williams FJ44-1AP-21's.

Forgive me if I take your proclamations of what things cost with skepticism given recent statements refuted with actual evidence.

It would not surprise me at all if a pair of PW615F costs more to the OEM than FJ44-1. All the initial promises about how low cost the PW600 series was going to be to operate have not come true and they turn out to be pretty expensive to maintain due to lack of robustness. PWC has had some warranty expenses that I am sure exceeded their budgets, like burner cans not lasting even one HSI interval. The overhead for a small fleet like the Mustang is also higher.

Meanwhile, Williams has the FJ44 dialed in and gets substantial revenue from their engine programs which can offset some of the OEM cost. Williams could just give the engines away to OEMs just to get the hourly payments.

There is no VLJ market right now. The SF 50 doesn't cut it, Mustang isn't being sold, Eclipse failed, all the other entrants failed (Diamond Jet, Piper Jet, etc). The dream of a small economical personal jet remains unfulfilled. The best you can do it buy a used Mustang right now. Controller has 20 of them, pricing in the $2.0 to $2.8 M range, not exactly cheap and makes it compete with other alternatives like CJs.

Mike C.

First of all, you have no more of a clue what Textron pays for engines than I do, but you go straight into a bunch of BS about issues with the PW615. You get much of your info from listening to people complain on forums and it shows.

If Williams can give their engines away and make money off programs, why can’t Pratt? The Pratts are on a Pratt & Whitney engine program… what’s the difference?

You say there’s no VLJ market, but Cirrus is selling SF50’s as fast as they can build them. The CJ and the Mustang do not compete, at least not to anyone who knows the airplanes. If you need the range and extra space in the CJ you buy it, everyone else would rather have the Mustang. You probably don’t realize how many Mustangs sell each year, the demand is high and the number of people who move up is impressive.

The VLJ market is as hot as it’s ever been.

I have to say Mike, you’ve been factually wrong more in this thread than I’ve seen you be.

Leif got you on three errors all by himself.

I got you on a couple.

And Mark just straight up said you were incorrect.

One last word… don’t ever brag about your own safety record.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 00:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
I just bid for a contract and compared it to their current (March 2023) 1/8th share fractional proposal. 100 hours in a P300 amounted to $640,000, or $6,400/hr.

1/8th ownership is easily $1M capital outlay, or about $1.2M. That's $80K per year cost of money, plus $640K/year to fly, or $720K.

Clearly I can fly my own Citation V for way less than that.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 00:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
The SF50 is assigned the same arrival and departure procedures as any other jet.

Can you show a recent example? Give tail number and ate and we can see the flight?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 00:27 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7339
Company: Jet Acquisitions
I just bid for a contract and compared it to their current (March 2023) 1/8th share fractional proposal. 100 hours in a P300 amounted to $640,000, or $6,400/hr.

1/8th ownership is easily $1M capital outlay, or about $1.2M. That's $80K per year cost of money, plus $640K/year to fly, or $720K.

Clearly I can fly my own Citation V for way less than that.

Mike C.

Ok, but that’s a Citation V… not a Phenom 300E… big difference.

The insurance on a new Phenom 300E is more than $80k a year.

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next