banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 18:37 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Textron! We need an M3!! (Citation CJ2+)
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 16:45 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7255
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Username Protected wrote:

Yep, our client was quoted $180k for SP/ Owner flown!!!

How many hours did he have? How old ? What limits? Did he live in Utah?

He's got plenty of turbine time, in his 30's, it's not the pilot qual, it's the value of the airplane combined with him being the owner. I think it only dropped to $150k for his pro pilot to fly it SP, I'm not sure if that's just what it is or if that price factored in the fact that the owner is a pilot.

He ended up going pro crew.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 17:23 

Post Likes: +3577
Aircraft: Piper M600
Even at those rates, going to be a while paying off the recent P300 that went down with the high net worth owner pilot onboard. If I had a gazillion dollars to enter the airplane insurance market... I would seek professional psychiatric help and put my money somewhere else ;-)

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 17:43 

Post Likes: +2222
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Even at those rates, going to be a while paying off the recent P300 that went down with the high net worth owner pilot onboard. If I had a gazillion dollars to enter the airplane insurance market... I would seek professional psychiatric help and put my money somewhere else ;-)

If there are 400 P300s at that rate that is $60,000,000 per year in premiums. Not sure how many Phenom crashes there are on average each year but I am guessing something less than 1.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 20:35 

Post Likes: +1270
Aircraft: C501SP
Neither. Fractionals would be better. That's less than 100 hours a year. For the cost of capital/opportunity cost, time spent to be a competent and current pilot, potential AOG events, etc. it's not worth the effort, unless you enjoy the effort.

Mike C has laid out the case for how great and cheap it is to run legacy model jets. My opinion and I will let Mike opine for himself; he enjoys the job (even if it's frustrating at times) of managing a legacy aircraft.

All of Mike's arguments are pandering to a crowd of passionate pilots, who are willing to trade what is really valuable time, for the enjoyment of having 2nd job maintaining their aircraft.

Well, this is BeechTalk. By definition we are GA pilots and owning and flying your own plane (effectively) never makes economic sense when you factor in all of the time and money you spend maintaining yourself and your plane.

I LOVE spending time at the airport crawling around my plane doing this and that. I help my mechanic when he is working on my plane - I do it because I love it and it saves me money. He'll tell me to do things like pull up floor panels or something while he spends an hour on someone else's plane and then comes back to mine when I'm done. I also do things like reset the passenger oxygen masks after we drop them every year. That results in me having to catch up my day job at night but so far it's worth it to me.

I spend a ton of time reading BT and CJP, learning how to maintain my plane and improve my flying. It is a hobby and in that respect it is a time and money hole (the literal definition of a hobby) but I gain a lot of personal satisfaction from it.

All that being said, for a non-pilot, you are absolutely correct. Not everyone is capable of being a pilot and not everyone wants to put in the kind of time we do. They may want to work more or have other hobbies that they would rather spend their time on. For those people, a fractional is ideal.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 20:42 

Piaggio will eventually be bought, support will improve and they will put a garmin panel in it with autoland. It will fill the cj2 void :)

Flame away.

Half fuel burn, bigger cabin and better handling.
Support is fixable. New owner will do that to sell more planes. Cost fits nicely between m2 and cj3 etc.

I looked fairly hard at P-180s (being local to IJS is a plus) but I was too nervous about the parts situation to pull the trigger. My wife LOVED the cabin. I could definitely see one in my future if the company is well capitalized and fuel prices keep going up.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 22:52 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4410
Aircraft: B200, 500B
All of Mike's arguments are pandering to a crowd of passionate pilots, who are willing to trade what is really valuable time, for the enjoyment of having 2nd job maintaining their aircraft.

Well, this is BeechTalk. By definition we are GA pilots and owning and flying your own plane (effectively) never makes economic sense when you factor in all of the time and money you spend maintaining yourself and your plane.

I LOVE spending time at the airport crawling around my plane doing this and that. I help my mechanic when he is working on my plane - I do it because I love it and it saves me money. He'll tell me to do things like pull up floor panels or something while he spends an hour on someone else's plane and then comes back to mine when I'm done. I also do things like reset the passenger oxygen masks after we drop them every year. That results in me having to catch up my day job at night but so far it's worth it to me.

I love it too! I have the luxury of splitting the time and effort between two planes. The turbine takes me places I need to be, so it's maintained as well as I can in a constant status of readiness. That costs more.
The piston is my passion project that makes no economic sense, and if we have to wait while I hunt down NOS parts that came from Libya, then we wait while I hunt down NOS parts that came from Libya.

The *really* cool thing about this is we're all right. We each choose the plane and the maintenance style that makes sense to us.

Yes, Libya. I'm proud of this find. These parts made it out even after our F-111s visited on a goodwill tour. :D

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 01:06 

Post Likes: +3577
Aircraft: Piper M600

Kind of reminds me of something I heard. Customer to the mechanic: How much do you charge... Mech: $150/hour. How much if I help? Mech: $200/hr ;-)

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 10:58 

Kind of reminds me of something I heard. Customer to the mechanic: How much do you charge... Mech: $150/hour. How much if I help? Mech: $200/hr ;-)

LOL. Yeah, in the beginning, my "help" consisted of holding a flashlight, fetching tools, asking a million questions (which I'm sure added to my bill as it slowed him down), etc. Over time I graduated to turning tools myself and he always inspects my work before signing off. I also have pretty decent mechanical aptitude from fixing cars and roadracing motorcycles when I was younger. On that last point, my mechanic was shocked when I pulled out my own safety wire pliers and knew how to use them!

My mechanic is buried in work so he really appreciates it when I do the non-skilled tasks and in return I get to watch him work and learn more about my plane.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 11:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5520
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V

I’d say then that until someone builds and sells a 410 knot 6 passenger single pilot jet for $8 million (that splits it perfect between a 400 kt, 5 pax M2 and 420 kt, 7 pax CJ3), then there will only be a choice of M2/Phenom 100 or a CJ3+/Phenom 300. I think if there was a business case for an in between jet, both Textron and Embraer would be building it.

You'll get it in the HondaJet 2600. It will put Textrons complete lineup on the backside. No more being beholden to Williams, no more fuel stops between NYC and LA.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 11:20 

Post Likes: +60
Aircraft: V35
I did not realize the 2600 was selling for $8M. Great deal! When do they start delivering?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 11:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7255
Company: Jet Acquisitions

I’d say then that until someone builds and sells a 410 knot 6 passenger single pilot jet for $8 million (that splits it perfect between a 400 kt, 5 pax M2 and 420 kt, 7 pax CJ3), then there will only be a choice of M2/Phenom 100 or a CJ3+/Phenom 300. I think if there was a business case for an in between jet, both Textron and Embraer would be building it.

You'll get it in the HondaJet 2600. It will put Textrons complete lineup on the backside. No more being beholden to Williams, no more fuel stops between NYC and LA.

I predict that in ten years Textron will be wishing they had made very different decisions about the modernization of their light jets.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 11:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23613
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V

I was hopeful Honda would make a line of engines to compete with Williams and there would be a healthy mod program to update older airplanes with these engines. The Hondas would be fuel efficient, quiet and low cost.

Alas, no such line up has emerged.

Also, have you priced the Honda engine program? My understanding is that it is every bit the cost if not more than Williams. Sigh.

The Hondajet 2600 will require a new higher power engine. Maybe that will become an option for retrofit? It would be about the thrust class my V would take, 3000 to 3500 lbf.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 11:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23613
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
I did not realize the 2600 was selling for $8M. Great deal! When do they start delivering?

Long time from now when the price won't be $8M any more.

I think it is a vaporware concept to see what the market reaction is. It isn't clear they have an actual design program started on it.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 12:06 

Post Likes: +1819
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Unless they figure out a way to keep them on the rwy insurance mkt could be a problem!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 12:37 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2

Long time from now when the price won't be $8M any more.

I think it is a vaporware concept to see what the market reaction is. It isn't clear they have an actual design program started on it.

Mike C.

If the Honda Jet 2600 sold today, it would likely have a long line of buyers in the $13-$15 million range.

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next