banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 19:09 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: V FJ44 wouldn't that be cool!
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 08:53 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7323
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Username Protected wrote:
You literally said that an owner shouldn’t worry about HT blades

No such statement exists.

I said you should not expect to replace all the HT blades every HSI and offered an estimate that they last 5 HSI periods on average.

Quote:
DOF shops. You forget StandardAero?

They are DOF only for PT6, not JT15D, and only in Canada.

Educate yourself on Pratt's service network, see page 8:

https://www.pwc.ca/-/media/files/suppor ... ities.ashx

Only USA based JT15D DOF is Dallas Airmotive. They are $$$$$.

Quote:
And sure owner flown aircraft go to DOF shops.

Owner flown legacy Citations almost never do that now, and there's only one DOF in the USA to go to, anyway.

Nobody with a $500K 501 is going to pay Pratt or Dallas Airmotive to do $1M overhauls on their engines. Doesn't make sense.

Mike C.

:lol:

Educate myself.

StandardAero OWNS Dallas Airmotive.

The link you shared is from 2018, this is the difference between researching this stuff and knowing this stuff.

Last edited on 19 Mar 2023, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 08:55 

WWW  Profile

https://standardaero.com/wp-content/upl ... Engine.pdf

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 10:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V

I do not believe buying Dallas Airmotive changed the status of StandardAero approval for its other shops. The change in ownership did not increase the number of DOF shops in the USA, it is still only one. Dallas Airmotive still operates under its original name.

Nothing you said contradicts what I said or what Pratt publishes. If you disagree, please list the other Pratt DOF shops in the USA that can overhaul a JT15D.

Quote:
The link you shared is from 2018

It is what Pratt puts on their website. You should tell them they are wrong.

Doesn't change the main point, owner operators of legacy Citations aren't going to Pratt or a DOF to "preserve" their aircraft value. That makes no sense.

You can help people buy Phenoms and CJs, but that market isn't like the owner flown legacy Citation one. It just isn't.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 10:28 

WWW  Profile

I do not believe buying Dallas Airmotive changed the status of StandardAero approval for its other shops. The change in ownership did not increase the number of DOF shops in the USA, it is still only one. Dallas Airmotive still operates under its original name.

Nothing you said contradicts what I said or what Pratt publishes. If you disagree, please list the other Pratt DOF shops in the USA that can overhaul a JT15D.

Quote:
The link you shared is from 2018

It is what Pratt puts on their website. You should tell them they are wrong.

Doesn't change the main point, owner operators of legacy Citations aren't going to Pratt or a DOF to "preserve" their aircraft value. That makes no sense.

You can help people buy Phenoms and CJs, but that market isn't like the owner flown legacy Citation one. It just isn't.

Mike C.

Mike, probably half or more of our pilots are owner pilots.

Again, you assume everyone is like you and you assume that what you read on the internet is true.

I’ll agree that a 501 probably isn’t going to a DOF shop, and sure 10k hour V’s probably aren’t… but what about the pristine Citation V’s with less than 8k hours? What about the Ultras that are owner flown? Those guys probably go to a DOF shop.

By the way, I had the pleasure of trying to sell an Ultra with fresh Hale overhauls on it about 10 years ago, we ended up taking a huge loss and selling it to a dealer who put it on a 135 certificate.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 10:57 

WWW  Profile

Again, you assume everyone is like you and you assume that what you read on the internet is true.

Ironically, everything you say is something I read on the Internet. You are the very definition of SGOTI which needs outside verification before trusting. Case in point: windshield pricing.

I trust that what Pratt publishes about Pratt is true. There is one non Pratt DOF in the USA and it is Dallas Airmotive. That statement is true and reading it on the Internet doesn't make it false.

Quote:
I’ll agree that a 501 probably isn’t going to a DOF shop, and sure 10k hour V’s probably aren’t… but what about the pristine Citation V’s with less than 8k hours? What about the Ultras that are owner flown? Those guys probably go to a DOF shop.

They generally don't for the low use owner flown market. One problem now is that the slots at Dallas and Pratt are full of corporate and charter customers, so there just isn't much available for the owner operators.

I'm curious why 2000 hours less makes a V "pristine". A 10K plane could be in far better shape than an 8K one. Weirdly, the 8K airplane might be more expensive to own since they aren't likely past the original 9000 cycle impeller replacement. I find it odd when I hear someone saying they want a "low time V" and end up buying one with an impending impeller issue. I think it is cheaper and better to get a 10K V than an 8K one. In my case, I have fairly new 12,000 cycle impellers, so I am set.

As to "pristine", I don't think any V could qualify more than mine which had only two corporate owners since new and entirely factory service center maintained. But the crap I found in my airplane that was done at the service center is amazing. The irony is that my plane is being maintained at a little tiny no name shop but is in WAY better shape than when it was at the service center. The attitude of the owner is more important than the shop, IMO.

When any seller says "pristine", I interpret this to mean it has shiny paint and nice interior so the average buyer doesn't see the warts underneath.

Quote:
By the way, I had the pleasure of trying to sell an Ultra with fresh Hale overhauls on it about 10 years ago, we ended up taking a huge loss and selling it to a dealer who put it on a 135 certificate.

You never get back every dollar you spent on an overhaul. If you had Pratt do it, the loss would have been greater due to the higher cost of the overhaul. Selling reputations is always fraught will potential value collapse. Spending $1M to save $500K makes no sense.

That plane is probably still flying just fine and doing its job. What was its serial number?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 11:19 

WWW  Profile

Ironically, everything you say is something I read on the Internet. You are the very definition of SGOTI which needs outside verification before trusting. Case in point: windshield pricing.

I trust that what Pratt publishes about Pratt is true. There is one non Pratt DOF in the USA and it is Dallas Airmotive. That statement is true and reading it on the Internet doesn't make it false.

Quote:

They generally don't for the low use owner flown market. One problem now is that the slots at Dallas and Pratt are full of corporate and charter customers, so there just isn't much available for the owner operators.

I'm curious why 2000 hours less makes a V "pristine". A 10K plane could be in far better shape than an 8K one. Weirdly, the 8K airplane might be more expensive to own since they aren't likely past the original 9000 cycle impeller replacement. I find it odd when I hear someone saying they want a "low time V" and end up buying one with an impending impeller issue. I think it is cheaper and better to get a 10K V than an 8K one. In my case, I have fairly new 12,000 cycle impellers, so I am set.

As to "pristine", I don't think any V could qualify more than mine which had only two corporate owners since new and entirely factory service center maintained. But the crap I found in my airplane that was done at the service center is amazing. The irony is that my plane is being maintained at a little tiny no name shop but is in WAY better shape than when it was at the service center. The attitude of the owner is more important than the shop, IMO.

When any seller says "pristine", I interpret this to mean it has shiny paint and nice interior so the average buyer doesn't see the warts underneath.

Quote:

You never get back every dollar you spent on an overhaul. If you had Pratt do it, the loss would have been greater due to the higher cost of the overhaul. Selling reputations is always fraught will potential value collapse. Spending $1M to save $500K makes no sense.

That plane is probably still flying just fine and doing its job. What was its serial number?

Mike C.

Too much to bother refuting. I showed you StandardAero is a DOF shop for JT15D’s…

You’ll argue the minutue instead of just admitting that not everyone is like you.

I had to look the airplane up, it was actually a V, serial number 165… sorry I misspoke… I have bought and sold a LOT of legacy Citations.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 12:53 

WWW  Profile

I showed you StandardAero is a DOF shop for JT15D’s…

Buying Dallas did not make StandardAero other shops automatically JT15D DOFs. That's just wrong. There is only one USA DOF for JT15D, Dallas Airmotive, and they still operate under the Dallas Airmotive name.

Quote:
I had to look the airplane up, it was actually a V, serial number 165…

Still flying happily today, N619HP.

Someone got a deal not paying extra for DOF reputation.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 13:35 

WWW  Profile

I showed you StandardAero is a DOF shop for JT15D’s…

Buying Dallas did not make StandardAero other shops automatically JT15D DOFs. That's just wrong. There is only one USA DOF for JT15D, Dallas Airmotive, and they still operate under the Dallas Airmotive name.

Quote:
I had to look the airplane up, it was actually a V, serial number 165…

Still flying happily today, N619HP.

Someone got a deal not paying extra for DOF reputation.

Mike C.

Are you saying that Standard isn’t a DOF shop because their overhaul facility is in Prince Edward Island? Well of course it is. I’ve been to that facility, have you?

I don’t believe Standard overhauls PT6’s or JT15D’s in the US, but I could be wrong. You saying “only in Canada” is amusing! Where the heck do you think the engines come from!!

Yep, he got a good deal because the owner of the company I worked for made a mistake and tried to save a few bucks.

Every phone call “who did the engines?”

Me: “Hale, they’re great… blah, blah, blah.”

Them: "Ok, thanks. Bye.”

Your perception does not change reality and your research does not equal my hands on experience.

Last edited on 19 Mar 2023, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 13:44 

WWW  Profile

By the way, PEI is an amazing place, love the culture and the people! StandardAero’s facility and the people who staff it are second to none!!

I’m sorry you’re missing out.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 17:40 

WWW  Profile

Are you saying that Standard isn’t a DOF shop because their overhaul facility is in Prince Edward Island?

Not a JT15D DOF in the USA. Just like Pratt says in their document. It is dated 2018 because it is still valid.

Sending an engine to PEI costs more money. causes delays in customs, and potentially subjects it to duties and taxes that won't afflict a US located shop. Being foreign and far away, makes it hard to monitor the process.

Again, DOF means $$$$$ to somehow recover $$ on market value. Doesn't make sense. Also means very limited choices.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 17:51 

WWW  Profile

Are you saying that Standard isn’t a DOF shop because their overhaul facility is in Prince Edward Island?

Not a JT15D DOF in the USA. Just like Pratt says in their document. It is dated 2018 because it is still valid.

Sending an engine to PEI costs more money. causes delays in customs, and potentially subjects it to duties and taxes that won't afflict a US located shop. Being foreign and far away, makes it hard to monitor the process.

Again, DOF means $$$$$ to somehow recover $$ on market value. Doesn't make sense. Also means very limited choices.

Mike C.

I’ve managed engines through overhaul at PEI, no big deal.

We’ve not had any issues or delays because of customs.

What’s your acronym? FUD?

You misspoke when you said they weren’t a DOF shop, so now you’ve made the US vs Canada an issue, just one more attempt to hide a mistake and refuse to admit you were wrong.

As far as cost, there’s no difference caused by work being done in Canada, in fact depending on exchange rate they may have an advantage. When you’re talking a million dollars in overhauls, a few thousand in shipping matters not.

As far as value, you might be talking an actual 10% savings going non-DOF, all other things being the same. If your airplane isn’t worth investing in factory supported overhauls, then save the money. In this market it may not even effect resale.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 17:59 

WWW  Profile

You misspoke when you said they weren’t a DOF shop

Pratt says the only JT15D DOF shop in the USA is Dallas Airmotive.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 18:02 

WWW  Profile

You misspoke when you said they weren’t a DOF shop

Pratt says the only JT15D DOF shop in the USA is Dallas Airmotive.

Mike C.

You said that Standard Aero is not a DOF shop for JT15D... that is not true. You said " only in Canada" which makes zero sense. Is StandardAero a DOF shop or not? Yes, they are.

What difference would it possibly make that the actual facility is in PEI?

Standard Aero is a US company, they own Dallas Airmotive.

Your attempt to muddy the waters about a meaningless point, instead of just admitting you were wrong is astonishing.

Last edited on 19 Mar 2023, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 18:21 

WWW  Profile

You said that Standard Aero is not a DOF shop for JT15D...

My first statement on DOF in this thread:

"The only JT15D DOF in the USA that isn't PWC is Dallas Airmotive"

I stand by that statement.

You should check things before making accusations particularly when it is written down black and white.

In any case, whatever you call it, there is only one DOF shop in the USA for JT15D. Just one. And it is expensive. That's all anyone needs to know about sending your engine to a DOF shop.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 18:34 

WWW  Profile

You said that Standard Aero is not a DOF shop for JT15D...

My first statement on DOF in this thread:

"The only JT15D DOF in the USA that isn't PWC is Dallas Airmotive"

I stand by that statement.

You should check things before making accusations particularly when it is written down black and white.
Mike C.

Maybe you should check things out, you rely on Google. I rely on our long term relationship with Standard Aero and the people who I know well that work there.

Can you provide a link to the Pratt website where it says that? Not a PDF from 2018, but the actual website, because it does not list DA as a DOF shop, in fact it doesn't currently list them at all.

You had an out, I told you what you shared was outdated. Standard Aero is the only JT15D DOF shop in the US, they are only using the Dallas name for the Grapevine location until the FAA signs off on the Repair Station transfer.

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next