banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 16:54 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Tarver, they're on to you!
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 19:23 

Post Likes: +6456
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
Thought of MT when I read this article:

https://bjtonline.com/business-jet-news ... d=35186984

Post subject: Re: Tarver, they're on to you!
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 20:14 

Post Likes: +1063
Aircraft: V35
And MC, and MH, and the young guys on YouTube.

They really are quite interesting; the whole 500/550/560 line. You can knock them if you want, but Cessna really nailed the market with them.

That article was interesting. I had not thought of it before, but it really did kill all the twin turboprop market. The King Air soldiers on, but for most buyers the Citation makes more sense.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 21:04 

Post Likes: +4797
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
Username Protected wrote:

WAHAHA!! We bought out most of the entire US Customs fleet awhile back, over 10 of them. We murdered them all given they're impossible to put back into any sort of executive configuration.

But yes, the 550 is a wonderful machine!

Mike

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 21:13 

Post Likes: +1298
Aircraft: C501SP
WAHAHA!! We bought out most of the entire US Customs fleet awhile back, over 10 of them. We murdered them all given they're impossible to put back into any sort of executive configuration.

You are a gentleman and a scholar my friend. Love that whenever I need something I can call you up and the yellow tagged part arrives a few days later. Thanks for salvaging the birds that are too far gone and stockpiling the remaining parts to keep us in the air!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 19:25 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: In market
I wish they (YouTube personalities) wouldn’t showcase the benefits of all these planes and drive the market up. Pretty soon a 501 will be 1.1 mil and a Meridian will be 3.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 19:30 

Post Likes: +2218
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90

Mike

Interesting - I stumbled onto that airplane a few days ago, and I'm curious if it will get sold.

Appears the CPB airplanes have a hump (ok, not a technical term) on the bottom of the fuselage behind the copilot seat for a camera turret - Does anyone know if you can mount a camera there and if the planes themselves are still standard category with that modification on them?

Would make for a heck of a photo airplane (like Cinejet or similar air to air platforms) but I doubt there's enough business out there to make it really worthwhile.

Robert

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 19:36 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
I stumbled onto that airplane a few days ago, and I'm curious if it will get sold.

It is an organ donor. Someone will buy it for that.

This is one reason the legacy series can be inexpensive to maintain, a fairly steady supply of used parts out there.

The low hull values means when accidents occur, the plane is more likely to be totaled, and then you get more parts in the supply chain.

A fairly new airplane doesn't have this supply, and fewer of them get totaled due to high hull values.

Its good to own an airplane with a large ecosystem around it. Gives one choices.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 20:35 

Bastard 550s, 2 air cycle machines; one plumbed to radar to cool F-16 radar, giant camera hole. They don’t usually pressurize very well., they have all sorts of weird avionics, the gyros usually don’t work, but yes, they are still in standard category. They usually have had excellent maintenance.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 21:35 

Post Likes: +412
Aircraft: Phenom 100
That supply will dwindle to zero at some point and probably faster than most think, then what? Does Textron hang on to the old tooling machines for legacy planes and do they ever spin them up when someone needs a part? Have they sold off machines to other companies to take over production?

The flip side is having a plane still in production with tooling machines still running every day. 525s, Phenoms, SF50, PC24, well, I guess that's all that has survived the single pilot market thus far. The downside from buying direct - $$$ even though they are still in production and even with parts programs, the prices are still crazy and drive monthly costs up. :thumbdown:

Chip-

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 22:46 

That supply will dwindle to zero at some point and probably faster than most think, then what? Does Textron hang on to the old tooling machines for legacy planes and do they ever spin them up when someone needs a part? Have they sold off machines to other companies to take over production?

The flip side is having a plane still in production with tooling machines still running every day. 525s, Phenoms, SF50, PC24, well, I guess that's all that has survived the single pilot market thus far. The downside from buying direct - $$$ even though they are still in production and even with parts programs, the prices are still crazy and drive monthly costs up. :thumbdown:

Chip-

Supply of parts is never dwindling to zero on Legacy Citations. I think there are enough parts to last the next hundred years for these airplanes. I would be much more worried about them stopping making the phenom 100 than supporting a legacy Citation.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 23:09 

WWW  Profile

That supply will dwindle to zero at some point and probably faster than most think, then what?

Lots of them out there. It will take a very long while.

Quote:
Does Textron hang on to the old tooling machines for legacy planes and do they ever spin them up when someone needs a part? Have they sold off machines to other companies to take over production?

A surprising number of parts are shared between a 510 and a CJ3. So yes, Textron hangs onto the "old" tooling because, in some cases, it is on new production planes.

This is one reason Textron stopped making Mustangs. They were a new clean sheet design which shared almost noting with the rest of the Citations so it was complex to keep spares. And, guess what, Mustang owners have a hard time finding parts (can you say "intercooler"?) despite being pretty recent when no legacy owner is suffering the same issue.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 23:39 

Supply of parts is never dwindling to zero on Legacy Citations.

The math disagrees. Unless new parts are being produced it takes a plane to keep a plane airworthy. You’re losing tails 2:1. Plane A needs parts from plane B to make it airworthy. Plane A is now airworthy, Plane B is not. Plane C is now needed to keep Plane A airworthy when any part Plane A took from Plane B needs replacement. You’re losing tails 3:1.

Are there parts suppliers entering the market to produce needed parts? Seems like there will be some good demand for high occurrence items.

Stopping the Phenom 100 line? :coffee: I’m mechanically inclined but I don’t think you’d want me working on jets!

Chip-

Last edited on 09 Mar 2023, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 23:48 

WWW  Profile

The math disagrees. Unless new parts are being produced it takes a plane to keep a plane airworthy. You’re losing tails 2:1.

That's not true.

A single salvage airplane can keep many dozens of airplanes operating since they don't all need the same part.

Any part they all need is in high demand and those kind of parts are still being produced. Examples are batteries, tires, filters, lights, deice boots, windows, etc.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 23:48 

Quote:
Mustang

And they realized they could sell the same amount of M2s for twice the price. Hard to want to continue building the Mustang with its unique parts.

Maybe a dumb question but is there an age cutoff for Cessna’s parts program? I know the Mustang is still available, are the people who are waiting on intercoolers not on the parts program?

Chip-

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 23:56 

A single salvage airplane can keep many dozens of airplanes operating since they don't all need the same part.

Mike C.

And if 2 or 3 or 4 of those dozen do need the same part? Does the aftermarket have enough demand yet to be reproducing parts? And do they need Cessna’s blessing or does it not matter yet since donor planes are still so plentiful?

Chip-

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next