banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 09:24 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 51  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Talk me into / out of a Meridian
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 21:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
The right wing probably got torqued into the ground when the blades hit the runway.

Nothing about fixing the nose gear? The prop? The engine?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 01:14 

Post Likes: +412
Aircraft: Phenom 100
The right wing probably got torqued into the ground when the blades hit the runway.

Nothing about fixing the nose gear? The prop? The engine?

Mike C.

No idea, probably available on request. Just letting you know how a right wing ends in damage after a nose gear collapse in an SETP.

Chip-

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 10:04 

Post Likes: +661
I'm not so sure about the prop torque theory. The PT6/prop in the Meridian has a downstroke on the right side. I would think this force, when impacting the ground, would raise the right wing and lower the left.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 10:17 

Post Likes: +3603
Aircraft: Piper M600
Just fly it first. I loved it on paper. In the plane the bottom sharp edge of that big metal panel rests at the top of my shins just beneath the kneecap. In turbulence it was like being disciplined in a Russian prison. Headset resting on the ceiling too... I could make an in ear set work maybe, although that's not my preference. I am 6'4" tho... if you're a midget you'll be ok.

Looking at that panel, is that a custom panel? It does look lower at the bottom than mine. Maybe Piper did something with the newer birds, mine looks a bit higher than that. Piper also widened the hip room a couple of inches, came up with higher density foam to lower the seats, extended the backrests over the wing spar (there is an STC to do this in older planes). Between that and reclining the seat, I am comfortable even with the seat 1 or 2 clicks toward the panel. Although I usually have it all the way back. Keeps the rear aft forward seat from reclining, so if I have someone there, I move up a little. I am 6'2

Attachment:
1 (12).jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 10:47 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +400
Company: Capella Partners
Aircraft: P35, TW Pacer
I'm not so sure about the prop torque theory. The PT6/prop in the Meridian has a downstroke on the right side. I would think this force, when impacting the ground, would raise the right wing and lower the left.

The cause of the never-ending pa-46 runway excursions, piston and turbine, is not a mystery.

If pilots do not neutralize the rudder pedals before allowing the nosegear to touch down, the nosegear steering will cause the airplane to dart sharply to the side of deflection. Either due to that deflection or an overcorrection, the aircraft will depart the runway on landing.

Compounding this issue, the pa-46 nosegear is a technically complex and delicate design. It is more prone to collapse than other simpler non-rotating nosegear assemblies. This was a design tradeoff to get the gear to fit where it needed to. In the case of a runway excursion or even extreme turning forces on the runway, this design is more likely to collapse, leading to expensive engine and airframe damage.

To fly a pa-46 without permanently modifying the insurance premiums of your brethren, you must be able to perform a crosswind landing, touch down on your main gear, neutralize your rudder pedals, allow the nose gear to touch, and only then use the rudder pedals for directional control on the ground. This, like so many airplane problems, is not an airplane problem. It's a training problem.

-J

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 13:12 

Post Likes: +1205
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
Any design that you need special technique on is not a great design. The PA46 nose gear is not well designed, period. The results show that. Sure you can blame the pilot but why make something that needs special treatment?

The best aircraft design does not require above average skills.

This is my opinion and no matter what you say it won’t change. LOL I have debated this over and over. Just sharing my perspective on the PA46 nose gear. I have plenty of perfect crosswind landings in a PA46 to show I understand the issue. Never had a problem. But it’s not a great design. The amount of PA46 that have had nose heat collapse is crazy.

Yes they improved it on the M600.

Mike

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 23:27 

Post Likes: +111
Sounds so close to the situation I was in several years ago, where my partner landed and diverted off the runway to the left, collapsing the gear, prop strike, etc., no wing tip strike luckily. I spent the next 10 months repairing the engine & plane, it actually flew and landed better than before the accident, but he wanted to sell and we had no choice, so we sold it for 900,000. Makes me sick thinking what that 2006 plane is actually worth right now.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2023, 08:57 

Post Likes: +587
Aircraft: Seabee Aerostar 700
sounds like a reason for a mod that has a free castering nose gear or one like on the aerostar that is controlled by a steering switch.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2023, 09:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
sounds like a reason for a mod that has a free castering nose gear or one like on the aerostar that is controlled by a steering switch.

Citation has traditional nosewheel steering by rudder pedals up to 20 degrees to each side, then it has a bungee to allow it to pivot up to 95 degrees. This protects it during towing and allows you to make very tight turns with differential braking.

So it is like a castering nosewheel in terms of tight turns on the ramp but like a regular nosewheel in terms of being steerable naturally when taxiing or during takeoff and landing.

I don't worry about people towing my Citation like I did for my MU2, and I don't have to disconnect the torque link like the MU2. I also don't worry about them not having he right tow bar for the dual MU2 nosewheel any more, either.

To make tires last longer, a big deal in with present supply chain issues, best not to pivot on one tire for the tightest turn. A turn where the wingtip is the center is about the tightest you should ever do and that keeps the inside tire rolling so it doesn't wear faster.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2023, 09:11 

Any design that you need special technique on is not a great design. The PA46 nose gear is not well designed, period. The results show that. Sure you can blame the pilot but why make something that needs special treatment?

Mike

Many aircraft need a special technique. There are several C172 gear collapses and landing accidents per week. Doesn't seem to make the news. There are an average of 2 gear collapses and landing accidents per month in the most popular selling GA aircraft in the world, the Cirrus. There have been landing clinics and in transition training a great deal of time and energy is spent on landing the aircraft. Nothing wrong with the aircraft, but you have to be a pilot. In the TBM, prop strikes, and fatal go arounds were epidemic. Until a combination of airframe modifications, like strakes and efforts were placed in training by the OEM and owners groups to understand airspeed, gasp landing on the mains first, adhering to stabilized approaches. None of those planes are designed poorly, they are designed with compromises that require the pilot to understand the airframe. Poor technique for the bird had bent a lot of those aircraft. I don't have TBM experience, but all the others, I have never thought had an issue with landing. Maintain the the aircraft, fly the appropriate speed, and fly the aircraft into the roll out.

Funny how there was a rash of PA46 excursions, and then Piper came out with earth shattering SB's about inflating the tires to the spec in the POH. Make sure the plane is rigged according to tolerances in the maintenance manual. And the owners group came out with fly Vref, don't land with the nose wheel cocked. And the excursions almost disappeared. Funny how if you do the things that you are supposed to do, the accidents don't happen ;-)

As to numbers, The PA46 is one of the most active cross country aircraft flying out there these days. The fleet has over 6 million hours, and there are in the neighborhood of 300,000 PA46 landings per year. You read about 6 or so with landing issues in a year, is still a pretty small number.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2023, 10:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4411
Aircraft: B200, 500B
There are several C172 gear collapses and landing accidents per week. Doesn't seem to make the news.

I haven't seen any Meridian crashes where the gear was strong enough to do this without breaking.

No special technique is needed to avoid collapsing the gear on a 172.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2023, 12:20 

Aircraft: 58
Had my meridian for a little over a year now. Love it! Tomorrow is an example of its benefits and limitations. KDNA—KBOI, BUT i have to stop at Abq to be comfortable going into BOI with fuel.

You can figure 1660 or so for UL. Full fuel is 1148 lbs.
Stupid simple to fly.
Insurance will be 1.5%-2% of hull probably.
Required training and mentor time to start. That was good.

Feel free to reach out.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2023, 10:17 

I don't think you could get a Meridian to nose over off field under any circumstance ;-) It will stay sunny side up on an off field landing that occurs at landing speeds. It is quite long and longitudinally stable. On a field like that, probably better off to land with the gear tucked. Or it will look like this. Hard to compare a 2000 lb aircraft with a stall speed of 49 knots to a 6000 lb aircraft with a stall speed of 60 knots. Not many cabin class aircraft will land in rutted mud and not take the gear with them. No matter how strong.

Attachment:
1.jpg

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2023, 10:29 

Post Likes: +4796
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
I don't think you could get a Meridian to nose over off field under any circumstance ;-) It will stay sunny side up on an off field landing that occurs at landing speeds. It is quite long and longitudinally stable. On a field like that, probably better off to land with the gear tucked. Or it will look like this. Hard to compare a 2000 lb aircraft with a stall speed of 49 knots to a 6000 lb aircraft with a stall speed of 60 knots. Not many cabin class aircraft will land in rutted mud and not take the gear with them. No matter how strong.

Attachment:
1.jpg

That was my home airport. Piper bought that plane back from the owner (who had no insurance) and it disappeared. It sadly rotted outside for 2 years. You can infer what you want with respect to Piper's culpability.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2023, 07:31 

Post Likes: +3

The cause of the never-ending pa-46 runway excursions, piston and turbine, is not a mystery.

If pilots do not neutralize the rudder pedals before allowing the nosegear to touch down, the nosegear steering will cause the airplane to dart sharply to the side of deflection. Either due to that deflection or an overcorrection, the aircraft will depart the runway on landing.

Compounding this issue, the pa-46 nosegear is a technically complex and delicate design. It is more prone to collapse than other simpler non-rotating nosegear assemblies. This was a design tradeoff to get the gear to fit where it needed to. In the case of a runway excursion or even extreme turning forces on the runway, this design is more likely to collapse, leading to expensive engine and airframe damage.

To fly a pa-46 without permanently modifying the insurance premiums of your brethren, you must be able to perform a crosswind landing, touch down on your main gear, neutralize your rudder pedals, allow the nose gear to touch, and only then use the rudder pedals for directional control on the ground. This, like so many airplane problems, is not an airplane problem. It's a training problem.

-J

Well said! The 3 point landing technique should not be used in any light aircraft IMO. The landing technique I use for PA46 is no different than C182. The nose wheel is for getting back to the hanger.

Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 51  Next