banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 21:41 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 51  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Talk me into / out of a Meridian
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 16:16 

Post Likes: +2213
Username Protected wrote:
Should all of the ZFW markers be at 0 miles range?

No if there is still fuel that can be loaded when you reach ZFW. It is your max load range as opposed to your max fuel range. The chart is entirely at max weight divided between fuel and cabin.

There are a lot of assumptions hiding inside it, though, like empty weight for each type, what altitudes are used, what power settings, what reserves, what mods are applied, etc. The 501, in particular, has gross and ZFW mods which changes things in terms of weight it can carry which would move its curve up higher on the chart (more cabin load).

For KBZN to KHWD, when I run Fltplan.com numbers for 501, at FL360, I get 36 knot headwind, 2:30 time, 358 gallons. So the chart does seem pessimistic for it. The 501 is the cheapest plane in the group. Buy one with an FJ44 conversion and it will go faster and use less fuel (but cost more to get and engine costs will go up).

For KBZN to KHWD, Citation V is 2:07 flight time, 430 gallons, at max cruise and FL400. This is into a 35 knot headwind (similar to the others plotted). With an adequate reserve, I can carry 3000 lbs in the cabin doing that.

If I slow down to long range cruise, FL430, flight time is 2:12, headwinds die down to 30 knots (they do this going higher in the 40s usually), and I use 363 gallons.

People who buy a 501 instead of a V to save fuel aren't really doing that if they fly the V higher, which is reasonable given the better climb it has. I can use about the same fuel, and arrive faster, in the V as the 501. This is a very satisfying thing to know!

Mike C.

Is there a legacy Citation that has the faster speed of the V, same or similar engines and same or similar capex, but the cabin size of the 501?

Owning the MU2 Marquise, I felt I was wasting money and space flying around with 9 seats and only 1 occupied. If I were to buy another MU2, I would buy a Solitaire or M model. I'm afraid I would have similar feelings flying the bigger V cabin by myself. It's great that you can burn the same fuel as the 501 per mile, but for me, it would feel most unnecessary.

I guess I could buy a Williams powered short body, but that brings in the added costs of operating a Williams engine.

Was there an engine upgrade in the later Citation Is, like the V was for the II, before they came out with the CJ?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 16:43 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23613
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Is there a legacy Citation that has the faster speed of the V, same or similar engines and same or similar capex, but the cabin size of the 501?

The V is priced out of bounds at the moment. I can't recommend that to anyone right now as it would take $2M to get a decent one. I should have bought a dozen of them in late 2020!

Big fuel capacity comes with big cabin. Just the nature of the beast. The Citation V is basically a 501 with a longer cabin. You have 4 more windows and a few extra seats. Otherwise, it is basically the same airplane. So the extra size really doesn't play into it that much. I don't think the tires or brakes last much differently, either. My brakes are showing very little wear and my tires have 300 landings and look pretty good still. So the extra weight isn't costing a lot, either. A 501 at 12,500 lbs versus a V at 15,900 lbs shows the weight increase isn't actually all that much, 27% more.

Quote:
Owning the MU2 Marquise, I felt I was wasting money and space flying around with 9 seats and only 1 occupied.

That's why I got a short body MU2. :-)

Quote:
I'm afraid I would have similar feelings flying the bigger V cabin by myself. It's great that you can burn the same fuel as the 501 per mile, but for me, it would feel most unnecessary.

Big fuel capacity comes with big cabin.

The FJ44 501 (Stallion) is a pretty good choice. Medium range, fast speed, engine is taken care of with payments, lower fuel burn. They used to be right around $1M but I don't know current prices.

I find I am flying with a lot of people, more than I expected. I've only made 7 flights solo over 280 hours, had 9 people once, and 7 people a number of times. My average head count is easily up by 1 person or more over the MU2. The willingness and interest for people to fly places with me is significantly higher in the jet, and I enjoy that.

Quote:
Was there an engine upgrade in the later Citation Is, like the V was for the II, before they came out with the CJ?

There was a change from JT15D-1A to JT15D-1B at some point in the 501 production run. I don't think that was a meaningful change in power, however.

I think the current best deal in legacy Citations is an S550 with stock engine. It is basically a V but shorter, has TKS deice, and underpowered, but will go much faster than a 501 or 550 and has major range. The TKS system is despised by much of the legacy Citation market, so you can pick them up cheap for that reason alone. Should be able to do ~380-390 knots on a good day, say at FL370 or so.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 17:17 

Post Likes: +2222
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Not having ready every post, it seems like a C425XP is the best of all of the above options considering speed, range, size, opex/capex and I don't see it mentioned much. G600 Txi / Garmin EIS / GFC600 is as good a panel as any GA aircraft flying.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 17:17 

WWW  Profile

If the Meridian does your mission BUY IT.

Just be aware of the cost of money and what is does to your true total cost of ownership.

It is a reality we tend to ignore and can dominate the overall economic equation for a low use owner operator.

Cost of money is quite high right now. $1.5M is about $100K per year economic impact.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 17:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7255
Company: Jet Acquisitions
If the Meridian does your mission BUY IT.

Just be aware of the cost of money and what is does to your true total cost of ownership.

It is a reality we tend to ignore and can dominate the overall economic equation for a low use owner operator.

Cost of money is quite high right now. $1.5M is about $100K per year economic impact.

Mike C.

Granted, which is why I mentioned the JetProp, my previous employer has one listed for $695k, G600 / 530 / 430 it has decent engine time and damage history, but looks pretty decent for the money.

I am a big fan of the -34 engine, one of the most robust engines Pratt ever built.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 17:39 

Post Likes: +1270
Aircraft: C501SP

Owning the MU2 Marquise, I felt I was wasting money and space flying around with 9 seats and only 1 occupied. If I were to buy another MU2, I would buy a Solitaire or M model. I'm afraid I would have similar feelings flying the bigger V cabin by myself. It's great that you can burn the same fuel as the 501 per mile, but for me, it would feel most unnecessary.

I guess I could buy a Williams powered short body, but that brings in the added costs of operating a Williams engine.

There isn't a "short body" option without getting on engine programs - (FJ44 converted 501, CJ1, or M2). There was apparently an STC to put the JT15D-4 engines from the 550 onto the 501 but I have never seen one in the wild.

One of our major reasons for upgrading from the SR22 was to be able to take another family on trips. Extra seating is a plus for us. During my upgrade research I looked at MU-2s (being local to IJS was a huge plus) but was seeing $950k for a well-sorted Marquise (this was back in early 2021) while the 501 was a lot cheaper. I'm still building time but I can see myself upgrading to a II in a few years as the kids (and their friends) get bigger. Though it will depend on what prices do.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 18:14 

Post Likes: +187
Aircraft: Vans RV-6; Archer II
I did some quick math based on low utilization of 25,000 miles a year (realistic for me over the last few years given young kids and demanding work scheduling). Basically a $25,000 difference in fuel cost to fly those miles between a meridian and a 501.

The limiting factors you cite are based on time, not distance. You have a certain amount of *time* to fly. When you get the jet, you will fly more miles because you can. The actual cost of the jet will be higher per year than you'd get from calculating it just based on the number of miles you fly today.

How many pilots do you know who upgraded to a more capable plane and then flew fewer hours?

This is very true, but there are also numerous other time costs in the form of training, maintenance, etc.

I currently have an excellent situation handling maintenance with a very involved partner. Finding that same situation with a jet will be difficult.

This year we have the following trips on the books: Oregon wine country, Jamaica, key west, Turks and Caicos. It’s difficult for me justify the cost of ownership for these trips versus any other options. I’d also spend more to make more trips down to the family farm near the coast but I’m just not there. If I could find a 25% share of something, it would be way more attractive.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 20:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3819
Aircraft: B200, ex 58P
Mid way through this thread and I can't keep up with Mike and Chip's back and forth volleys, both at the net. The end keeps getting farther away. Maybe someday I'll get to the end of the thread. When I'll read this post.

And I took Evelyn Wood speed reading in high school.

Great info though. Love it.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2023, 14:24 

Post Likes: +312
Aircraft: 06 Meridian,SuperCub
Ouch, even after the wonderful trips we had in my Meridian?

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 11:35 

Post Likes: +281
Aircraft: BE36
Another saved listing price slashed. This one has damage history but still, 15%+ reduction is pretty mega.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 11:58 

Post Likes: +328
Aircraft: In market
Jason, good luck. Interesting reading in this topic and I will say, I kind of predicted where this would go, given aviation is an addiction and pulls at heartstrings so easily. My take with damage is, it should impact the overall value a little bit, BUT, if it was repaired properly, would not concern me. I used to deal with exotic and super cars and it was more common to find really old cars that have some damage (minor to major) than find pristine examples. Does that affect the price of a 1938 Bugatti? Not really. Does it affect a 2000’s Ferrari Enzo, a little. But not as much as you’d expect.

Be patient, maybe try to get some right seat time in one. Your significant other may love it or hate it.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 12:16 

WWW  Profile

Another saved listing price slashed.

"Right-hand wing outer section replaced"

And

"Repaired after nose gear collapse"

Don't go together.

I'd want more information about that incident.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 18:18 

Post Likes: +392
Aircraft: Phenom 100
The right wing probably got torqued into the ground when the blades hit the runway.

Chip-

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 18:22 

Post Likes: +500
Aircraft: Pitts S-2B
If I'm looking at the right listing it had a runway excursion 8 years ago but can't find any details.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/175000

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023, 18:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4410
Aircraft: B200, 500B
Not hard to find. It's a Meridian registered out of Meridian.

"PILOT MADE A VFR APPROACH AT KSTK TO LANDING RUNWAY 33 CALM WINDS REPORTED ON AWOS, SKY WAS CLEAR WITH UNLIMITED VISIBILITY. UPON TOUCHDOWN THE AIRCRAFT VEERED HARD TO THE RIGHT AND WITH A HARD LEFT RUDDER THE PILOT COULD NOT KEEP THE AIRPLANE FROM EXITING THE RUNWAY ON THE RIGHT. AFTER TRAVELING OFF THE RUNWAY THE NOSE GEAR COLLAPSED AND AIRCRAFT CAME TO A STOP NEXT TO RUNWAY. A FLAT RIGHT MAIN GEAR TIRE WAS FOUND AND RUBBER MARKS FROM THE POINT OF TOUCH DOWN TO WHEN THE AIRCRAFT EXITED THE RUNWAY INDICATED THE RIGHT TIRE WAS FLAT ON TOUCHDOWN. THE RUBBER MARKS WERE WIDER THAN NORMAL TIRE SKID MARKS, ANOTHER INDICATION THE RIGHT TIRE WAS FLAT. NO INJURIES AND NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO AIRPLANE. THIS WAS THE SECOND LANDING WITHIN 2 HOURS."

Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 51  Next