banner
banner

16 Apr 2024, 01:53 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Bought a PC-12 - still miss the B200!
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2023, 13:31 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
I used to argue about the benefits of the B200 vs PC-12 but I'd say I generally lost the argument here on BT. In December I purchased 50% of a 2015 PC-12NG so now I'll get to see things from the other side - thanks Penman...

Sim school was hard to get into. A friend of mine asked a favor and got me a slot at Simcom and I just finished a week ago. I took an experienced PC-12 pilot along on my first trip as captain on Wednesday. I'm having a really hard time admitting it but it was "purdy nice". My favorite part is seeing three digit numbers (to the left of the decimal point) on my fuel receipts, coming from the CJ, I NEVER saw 3 digit numbers!.

The passenger experience in the PC-12 is incredible! I had another pilot so I went in back during cruise and worked with my team to get ready for our sales meeting. I sat in the club seating with the tables pulled out and it was extremely comfortable and productive. It is quiet, roomy, easy to move around, flexible, well lit and well...its the nicest passenger experience I've ever had. Who cares if it is slower than a jet, it is so much nicer back there I'm sure my guys liked it better than the CJ.

Is it fun to fly? No, everything happens so slowly it is not nearly as challenging or exciting as flying a single pilot jet. Any airplane is boring in cruise but the PC-12 is boring in takeoff, climb, cruise, descent and landing. OK, maybe its fun in some of those but it is so well mannered and easy to fly it just feels like a big 182.

Why do I still miss the B200? The B200 was the first turbine airplane I owned so you never forget your first girl. The King Air was also 5X cheaper to insure and 4X less capital cost - you can buy a lot of Jet-A for that. Also, I did a trip in the PC-12 (in the right seat) in December SDL-APA-SDL and on the return trip it was dark, over the mountains and light to moderate icing for most of the time. I asked the pilot how he'd feel about being a glider right now and he didn't like it either. I never worried about that in a twin. The thing about a twin is it is statistically the most dangerous for 20 seconds after takeoff so that is the pucker factor time - on that night my (admittedly mild) pucker factor happened for a lot longer time. I know it is just emotions but it was real to me.

In summary, if you want to burn jet-a and have the most fun, get a jet. If you are not going to fly a lot but want to have some fun, get a legacy turbo-prop. If you fly a lot and like to be bored, efficient and amazingly comfortable get a PC-12.

Post subject: Re: Bought a PC-12 - still miss the B200!
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2023, 13:41 

Post Likes: +302
Aircraft: M20J/R, Sr22, SR20
Username Protected wrote:
I used to argue about the benefits of the B200 vs PC-12 but I'd say I generally lost the argument here on BT. In December I purchased 50% of a 2015 PC-12NG so now I'll get to see things from the other side - thanks Penman...

Sim school was hard to get into. A friend of mine asked a favor and got me a slot at Simcom and I just finished a week ago. I took an experienced PC-12 pilot along on my first trip as captain on Wednesday. I'm having a really hard time admitting it but it was "purdy nice". My favorite part is seeing three digit numbers (to the left of the decimal point) on my fuel receipts, coming from the CJ, I NEVER saw 3 digit numbers!.

The passenger experience in the PC-12 is incredible! I had another pilot so I went in back during cruise and worked with my team to get ready for our sales meeting. I sat in the club seating with the tables pulled out and it was extremely comfortable and productive. It is quiet, roomy, easy to move around, flexible, well lit and well...its the nicest passenger experience I've ever had. Who cares if it is slower than a jet, it is so much nicer back there I'm sure my guys liked it better than the CJ.

Is it fun to fly? No, everything happens so slowly it is not nearly as challenging or exciting as flying a single pilot jet. Any airplane is boring in cruise but the PC-12 is boring in takeoff, climb, cruise, descent and landing. OK, maybe its fun in some of those but it is so well mannered and easy to fly it just feels like a big 182.

Why do I still miss the B200? The B200 was the first turbine airplane I owned so you never forget your first girl. The King Air was also 5X cheaper to insure and 4X less capital cost - you can buy a lot of Jet-A for that. Also, I did a trip in the PC-12 (in the right seat) in December SDL-APA-SDL and on the return trip it was dark, over the mountains and light to moderate icing for most of the time. I asked the pilot how he'd feel about being a glider right now and he didn't like it either. I never worried about that in a twin. The thing about a twin is it is statistically the most dangerous for 20 seconds after takeoff so that is the pucker factor time - on that night my (admittedly mild) pucker factor happened for a lot longer time. I know it is just emotions but it was real to me.

In summary, if you want to burn jet-a and have the most fun, get a jet. If you are not going to fly a lot but want to have some fun, get a legacy turbo-prop. If you fly a lot and like to be bored, efficient and amazingly comfortable get a PC-12.

So begs the ? why did you go from the twin to the PC12?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2023, 14:35 

Post Likes: +89
2 questions:

1. For larger people 6’ plus, do you have an opinion on cabin and cockpit comfort of the PC-12 vs. B-200 vs. CJ? CJ’s claim width, but that’s only at the hip. I personally like the King Air’s more vertical sides for shoulder room.

2. What’s your opinion on the ride quality in the PC-12 vs. B-200? A few I know that fly PC-12s, say it can be a little rough flying in turbulence or mountains.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2023, 14:51 

Post Likes: +2745
i've never flown a PC12, nor a "nice" KA200. i have a little time in the Navy C-12; but those were not like the customer version.

I have heard that the PC12 is like a Toyota, and the King air is like a BMW. Is it true?

There are incredible interior refurb materials now, better than ever. could you take a legacy 90 or 200 and really pimp out the rear to be as well lit, quiet, and comfortable as the PC12?

I was trying to help a group find a PC12 for all of 2022. it just didn't work out because of the market (2-3 year old planes were selling for $1M more than their new price). makes more sense to get a legacy B200, and put a $100k interior into it. you'd be waaaaayyyyy ahead.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2023, 15:07 

Post Likes: +565
Aircraft: 1981 F33A
Quote but it is so well mannered and easy to fly it just feels like a big 182 Unquote

Very accurate description, the build quality is incredible.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2023, 18:57 

Post Likes: +65
Aircraft: C501SP
I have heard that the PC12 is like a Toyota, and the King air is like a BMW. Is it true?.

I think it’s the other way around. New PC-12s have stunning interiors and the cockpit feels far more modern than a brand new King Air. I flew an empty leg home the other night with a another pilot and sat in the back to do some work. Feels far more spacious than any King Air. They are also insanely expensive right now, so agreed with your comment about buying a legacy King Air.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2023, 19:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +810
Aircraft: BE300 LR-JET DA-50
In the 6000 hrs+ I flew King Airs..........I had two PT-6s quit on me.

So it is a "no-brainer" for me. The other engine brought me home!!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 01:59 

Post Likes: +85
Aircraft: Aerostar 601P, AS350
I rode in a pc12 a couple weeks ago, I fly an Aerostar and normally climb at 150KIAS, get past 115kts asap after rotating at 90-95kts.

When I was sitting in the back I watched the guy rotate at 90 and climb at 100 for a while, major pucker factor for me… it’s unbelievable how slow that airplane can fly. I so badly wanted to go push the nose over a little bit to get the airspeed up.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 06:30 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5538
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V

Your problem has a solution:

P180 Avanti. The best of all the worlds. ;)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 07:47 

Post Likes: +397
Aircraft: Aerostar 600A
I rode in a pc12 a couple weeks ago, I fly an Aerostar and normally climb at 150KIAS, get past 115kts asap after rotating at 90-95kts.

When I was sitting in the back I watched the guy rotate at 90 and climb at 100 for a while, major pucker factor for me… it’s unbelievable how slow that airplane can fly. I so badly wanted to go push the nose over a little bit to get the airspeed up.

With no Vmc there's not much to worry about

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 11:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V

As long as the fan keeps turning...

Climbing at 100 is well below Vy (~130). Maybe PC-12 pilots are taught to climb near Vx so they don't get too far from the airport in case the fan quits?

Altitude is better than airspeed if you need to get back to the airport.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 11:29 

Post Likes: +3239
PC12 is a hoot, just got to start doing PC12 type things with it

Personally if the pay was the same I’d rather fly a 12 than most jets, but if the pay was the same I’d also rather fly a PA18 than a PC12 lol

Flying AOA full flaps I’d cross the fence slower than the average cirrus lol

Last edited on 29 Jan 2023, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 11:30 

Post Likes: +3239

Climbing at 100 is well below Vy (~130). Maybe PC-12 pilots are taught to climb near Vx so they don't get too far from the airport in case the fan quits?

Mike C.

You know the chance of that engine quitting?

You climb into the bars, transition to a enroute climb, with the climb rate and glide range of the 12 it’s not much of a factor

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 12:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
You know the chance of that engine quitting?

Not zero.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 12:53 

Post Likes: +2745

Mike C.

I do the same in the TBM. Upon take off, I usually climb at 120 until 1000’ or so. The climb way outstrips the glide. Hope I never need to deal with that, but I know the risk isn’t zero. Still better than the odds in my 340.

Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next