banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 17:06 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Bought a PC-12 - still miss the B200!
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 01:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23613
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
you do have to take the Pilatus to a service center.

Why?

Does Pilatus withhold the manuals necessary to service the airplane outside the factory ecosystem?

There's noting in the FARs which would seem to require factory servicing for Pilatus.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 01:25 

Post Likes: +3082

Why?

Does Pilatus withhold the manuals necessary to service the airplane outside the factory ecosystem?

There's noting in the FARs which would seem to require factory servicing for Pilatus.

Mike C.

Some special tools and whatnot, having a random shop work on them often makes more issues

Id pay a more for a PC12 worked on by a service center, and I’d offer waaaay less for a Pilatus worked on by Rick and Bobby Inc

Having flown examples from both ends of the spectrum, for the high price point of the plane, trying to save a cent at the cost of dollar doesn’t make sense

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 02:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9074
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
I take our pc12ng to Martin at SNA which is a great Pilatus authorized service center. They're super organized and thorough and more than fair with prices and are willing to source used/refurbed parts to save money. Average for us has been about 30k /yr over the last 10 years with one outlier year which included the HSI and prop overhaul and some other stuff which came out to 110k.

The C90A I flew before averaged about 50k /yr in maintenance but could balloon up to 80 or so when the 6 year items came due. The KA also burns more fuel but about the same speed (Blackhawks) although slower down low. KA generally had higher ramp fees and had more mechanical problems although of course it was older. In favor of the KA, the lower hull value made it cheaper to insure and the Garmin avionics didn't require insurance like the Honeywell does. Well technically the HAPP program isn't required on an NG but stuff seems to fail at just the right rate to make having the program pay for itself, at least for us. Overall the PC12 has clearly better operating economics (charter operators have spoken) although the KingAir still an awesome plane and for most private operators the cost of money should really be factored in.

As for mom & pop KA maintenance to save a bit... ya ok maybe. maybe not. I flew a Blackhawk C90 today actually. For some years it was maintained by a small shop up in Montana at a "big cost savings"... however owner had constant squawks and finally took it over to Mather and had them go through everything soup to nuts and ended up with a 130k bill. Since then it's been tight and reliable, and subsequent maintenance has fallen back in line with what I experienced with the KA... in the 50ish per year range for normal years.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 10:16 

WWW  Profile

Id pay a more for a PC12 worked on by a service center, and I’d offer waaaay less for a Pilatus worked on by Rick and Bobby Inc

I don't see any Pilatus owned factory service centers in the USA. Pilatus doesn't seem to be in that business outside of their main shop in Switzerland. They are all "authorized service centers" meaning they are others companies that have applied for and received Pilatus blessing.

So Rick and Bobby could become a Pilatus authorized service center if they want to.

It also means the service centers are not interchangeable, they will vary in quality, experience, scope, and price.

Having to fly to maintenance is a major cost and time adder, so if you can avoid that, all the better.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 10:58 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7255
Company: Jet Acquisitions

Why?

Mike C.

It's primarily a tooling issue, but also parts and manuals may be a factor as well. Pilatus has been pretty stingy with those service center authorizations, so no Ricky Bobby can't be a service center.

Pilatus has promoted the image of exclusivity, it shows in their dealer network, their service network and in how the main company does business.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 16:56 

WWW  Profile

Pilatus has promoted the image of exclusivity

In this context, "exclusive" is closely related to "expensive" and possibly "inconvenient" as well.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 18:51 

WWW  Profile

Pilatus has promoted the image of exclusivity

In this context, "exclusive" is closely related to "expensive" and possibly "inconvenient" as well.

Mike C.

Absolutely. I'm a huge fan of the airplane, but the market has reached the point where the acquisition price combined with the op cost, no longer represents a reasonable value. PC-12NG's are selling for more than King Air 350i's... there is no way that makes sense.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 22:57 

WWW  Profile

Absolutely. I'm a huge fan of the airplane, but the market has reached the point where the acquisition price combined with the op cost, no longer represents a reasonable value. PC-12NG's are selling for more than King Air 350i's... there is no way that makes sense.

I fly a Citation V.

I can't afford a PC-12.

Literally. Not a joke.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 23:26 

Depends on where you place value

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 00:40 

Post Likes: +28
Aircraft: 8KCAB / C510
I don't see any Pilatus owned factory service centers in the USA. Pilatus doesn't seem to be in that business outside of their main shop in Switzerland. They are all "authorized service centers" meaning they are others companies that have applied for and received Pilatus blessing.

So Rick and Bobby could become a Pilatus authorized service center if they want to.

It also means the service centers are not interchangeable, they will vary in quality, experience, scope, and price.

Having to fly to maintenance is a major cost and time adder, so if you can avoid that, all the better.

Mike C.

Actually, that is changing.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-09-23/pilatus-acquiring-us-aircraft-sales-mx-firm-skytech

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 00:41 

Mike C.

Actually, that is changing.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-09-23/pilatus-acquiring-us-aircraft-sales-mx-firm-skytech

The one I most recently was in charge of, it was a 10 minute flight to a service center

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 01:49 

WWW  Profile

The one I most recently was in charge of, it was a 10 minute flight to a service center

That costs you two cycles on the engine.

Hard to maintain the desired hour/cycle ratio of about 1 when that happens. It takes it takes a 2:40 flight to balance that out afterward.

The cycle life on turbine engines is not designed around a lot of short hops. You will end up cycling out parts early.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 02:07 

That costs you two cycles on the engine.

Hard to maintain the desired hour/cycle ratio of about 1 when that happens. It takes it takes a 2:40 flight to balance that out afterward.

The cycle life on turbine engines is not designed around a lot of short hops. You will end up cycling out parts early.

Mike C.

“The bitterness of poor quality will last long after the sweetness of low cost has been forgotten“

“Lo barato sale caro”

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 10:52 

WWW  Profile

Depends on where you place value

Range, speed, payload, number of comfortable seats... Yes, if you value versatility and the cargo door the Pilatus wins. But, it is still slower than the 350i and won't carry eight passengers in comfort.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 11:20 

Post Likes: +560
Aircraft: PC-24 Citabria 7GCBC
I agree with the sentiment that acquiring a Pilatus aircraft comes with a significant upfront investment in both capital costs and maintenance. However, it's important to consider the long-term value that the investment can bring, especially for high utilization owners or those who prioritize the reliability, accessibility, and some of the unique missions of Pilatus aircraft.

Regarding the market trend of PC-12NGXs selling for more than King Air 350i's, it's a matter of demand and supply dynamics. The market price is determined by the forces of demand and supply, and it's possible that the demand for PC-12NGXs has been higher than that for King Air 350i's, leading to a higher price. All PC-12NGXs are sold through 2025 representing 150+ aircraft. Nevertheless, it's important to assess one's individual needs and budget to determine the most suitable aircraft option.

Overall, the Pilatus aircraft system has been designed to provide a high level of quality and reliability, and the Pilatus authorized service centers play a crucial role in maintaining these standards. Becoming a Pilatus authorized service center requires a significant investment for a company. Pilatus has stringent requirements for its service centers, including the provision of the proper factory tools and equipment, investing and maintaining sufficient inventory of essential parts, and thorough paying Pilatus to train the technicians. The quality of maintenance technicians is maintained by training them by Pilatus at the Pilatus completion center in Broomfield CO. These requirements ensure that the Pilatus brand reputation for quality and reliability is upheld at all of its service centers. Companies that are interested in becoming a Pilatus service center must be prepared to make the necessary investments to meet these requirements and provide the highest level of service to Pilatus aircraft owners.

John will benefit from these benefits while smartly sharing the upfront costs with a partner. Ultimately, the value of a Pilatus aircraft depends on the priorities and needs of the individual owner.

Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next