Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: T-51 Mustang ?
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2023, 12:13 

Post Likes: +477
Aircraft: P35, Pitts S1S
Username Protected wrote:
But for myself, I rather keep the dream of owning the real thing, versus having a cheap copy.

Agreed, never understood scale replica aircraft or kit cars that look like a Ferrari but are powered by a VW. But I also never understood people buying a fake Rolex.

I can't help but feel that the time and energy spent building a scale replica could be spent building a plane of the size you want with better flying characteristics. I get that if you like the looks, you just like the looks... But I'd rather have a good flying plane than a good looking one... But that might because I am ugly!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2023, 12:25 

Post Likes: +8014
Aircraft: C-182
Gamebird GB1, +/-10Gs, +200KTAS.

Butch

"+/- 10g's"

Definitely not an old man's airplane. ;)

Have you seen one fly a routine? It's insane. The airshow routine looks like an RC plane, just bigger and louder.

Maybe someday they'll hang a big enough engine on one and someone will make it hover in place.[/quote]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This sounds like a plane for our BT fighter jocks; probably the only ones of us who could handle those g's, or maybe used to be able to handle those g's. ;)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2023, 12:31 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5754
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
I can't help but feel that the time and energy spent building a scale replica could be spent building a plane of the size you want with better flying characteristics.

Ron, the simple answer is cost. I think any builder would do a full-scale replica if they could, but a full-scale Mustang would cost as much (or more) as buying a flying one, and you'd need a gigantic space to fabricate and build everything. Building to scale also allows you to size it to the available engine and materials cost that fits a desired budget.

Don't forget that a large number of homebuilders are doing it on a relatively small budget. Someone building a T-51 wants fun flying at an affordable price.

Timber Tiger Aircraft released a scale kit of the Ryan PT-22, and it's gorgeous. It's 95% scale. Here's their FAQ on the subject:

Quote:
WHY 95% SCALE AND NOT 100% SCALE?
What is the point in downsizing to 95% scale? The answer here is quite simple: cost and simplicity. After all, most people can’t drop 150k on a full size replica, much less 250-500k on the real deal.

The Rotax 912UL/ULS line of engines is the current front-runner for engine options. Because these options don’t offer the big power of a Menasco, Tigre, or LOM engine that a full size ST would require, a weight reduction was mandatory. Less weight means less power required which means we now have less expensive engine options. No need to plunk 30k on a Menasco and then worry about parts availability.

The empty weight range of the ST-L is 800-830 lbs, depending on the build and pilot weight. With 125 horsepower, we have a higher power-to-weight ratio and lower wing loading than the ST-A. Shoulder and leg room are increased, as well. Pilots of 6'5" have tried on the ST replica and have confirmed the cockpit is roomier than the original.

So, it is a small difference in size with huge implications on weight, performance, cockpit size, and cost to build/operate/maintain. Even parked next to a full size ST, most people will never notice the size difference. At 100% scale, there would be no possible way to meet our cost, engine, performance, and baggage goals. That 5% is the difference between a $75,000 replica that meets customer criteria and a $150,000 replica that under-performs.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2023, 13:02 

Post Likes: +477
Aircraft: P35, Pitts S1S
I can't help but feel that the time and energy spent building a scale replica could be spent building a plane of the size you want with better flying characteristics.

Ron, the simple answer is cost. I think any builder would do a full-scale replica if they could, but a full-scale Mustang would cost as much (or more) as buying a flying one, and you'd need a gigantic space to fabricate and build everything. Building to scale also allows you to size it to the available engine and materials cost that fits a desired budget.

Sorry Sir, I obviously was not clear. What I don't personally understand is why someone would spend the time and money on a scale replica aircraft when they could spend that same time and money on a different plane that arguably flies better... For example, I'd bet that an RV3 flies better than most replica P51's.

I'd rather have better flying than better looking.

And that is not to say my way is "right", just that I don't personally get it.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2023, 13:40 

Post Likes: +4416
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
The T-51 looks and sounds like a little barking dog.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2023, 13:54 

Post Likes: +6848
Company: Self Employed
Aircraft: V35B
.[/quote]

never understood people buying a fake Rolex.

[/quote]
I've never understood women buying fake boobs, either. Sure, their BIG AND FIRM, but they're NOT REAL...

Be Kind, Rewind...

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2023, 16:57 

Post Likes: +2114
Company: FlightRepublic
Aircraft: DA40, C182
I've never understood women buying fake boobs, either. Sure, their BIG AND FIRM, but they're NOT REAL...

In both cases, the purchaser feels like the purchase will improve their chances of attracting (or keeping) a mate.
Many people are willing to spend a lot of money to buy something that makes them feel a certain way. In general aviation Cirrus do an excellent job of making prospective pilots and their spouses feel safe, and we can learn from them about how they are doing their bit to grow the pilot population.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2023, 22:07 

Post Likes: +481
Aircraft: 2020 Gamebird GB1
Over 60 GameBirds are in the street right now.

New orders are over a year out I’m told.

This airplane was at Palatka, FL last week, I picked it up from annual last Thursday.

I didn’t buy it for advanced/unlimited aerobatics, I bought it to go fast, and day trips around Florida and the Southeast.

I don’t know how long I’ll be able to fly it. It’s a simple airplane, but it is definitely a challenging airplane to fly well, but more fun than I’ve ever had. I would not recommend it for a beginner tail wheel pilot.

Butch

KTPF/KVDF

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4