Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: T-51 Mustang ?
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2023, 21:52 

Post Likes: +2114
Company: FlightRepublic
Aircraft: DA40, C182
Is there a rehab program for people like me who want a P-51?
That’s a beautiful airplane, Rich. And that sound is glorious …

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2023, 22:09 

Post Likes: +345
Aircraft: Citabria
Once you get the itch for owning a P-51, there is only one proven cure: embalming fluid.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2023, 23:40 

Post Likes: +6867
Company: Self Employed
Aircraft: V35B
Username Protected wrote:
Is there a rehab program for people like me who want a P-51?
That’s a beautiful airplane, Rich. And that sound is glorious …

Reminded me of a friend of ours, back in the 90s, bought a twenty year old project T-28, and spent seven years refurbishing it.

When he finished, he had suffered two hear-attacks in two years, he was going through a divorce, he was bankrupt, and he wrecked his pick-up truck and his dog died. (Yes really, both those happened in the same week.)

My dad and I were sitting in his hangar with him and that beautiful T-28, and Dad asked him what he was going to do next.

He said, I think I need to go to Warbird Owners Anonymous Rehab.

Poor guy, he finally got back in the black in the 2000s, made some successful stock trades, and got back to flying. The first day he lined up at the end of the runway in the 28 to takeoff, he advanced the throttle and threw a rod on the takeoff roll.

The tractor came out and towed him back to his hangar. The T-28 sat there for the next two years until the man died of a broken heart. I don't know who bought it from the family, but whoever did, hopefully got it flying.

Be Kind, Rewind...

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2023, 23:56 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7399
Company: The French Tradition
Aircraft: 89 A36 TN, 78 Tiger
Hum...
One of the sexiness / attraction is the sound of the Merlin... It just grabs you....

That replica's tiny engine is just not that.
It would be weird flying this thing.
You would probably get looks at the local breakfast place, because it is very nicely done.

But for myself, I rather keep the dream of owning the real thing, versus having a cheap copy.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 02:17 

Post Likes: +2352
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
DougR, the author of that article, is here on BT, you should PM him for a first-hand opinion

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 09:16 

Post Likes: +12477
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,
If you can afford a Mustang, buy one. There are few if a y safer investments. Budget $100K a year to fly it.

Ifyou can't afford a Mustang...

If you want to fly a Warbird, buy a T-6. Its a Great airplane. Its a reat community. It is a blast to fly.

If you want fighter performance, buy an Extra or a Rocket. 90 percent of the performance on less than 10% of the $.

If you're interested in the Titan, read my article carefully. There is nothing wrong with the airplane, but it is not a Warbird, and it doesnt have anything like fighter performance.

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 09:30 

Post Likes: +6510
Aircraft: OPAs
I do not have enough "plusses" for Doug's comment. I've owned a Mustang, and he is spot on about the cost, and the investment of it. Worst financial decision of my life (other than the ex-wife) is selling my Mustang.

A T-6 is a tremendous 'bang for the buck" in warbird flying. Does nice "gentleman acro", and there are good people to fly formation with.

The only addition to what Doug said is that I really like an L-19. It's Cessna easy to maintain, and challenging enough that it's fun to fly.

And, to quote Doug...."it's the ground-looping-est SOaB that exists".

(I have no comment, or experience with the topic which started the thread...but I cannot emphasize enough Doug's comments)

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 10:24 

Post Likes: +6867
Company: Self Employed
Aircraft: V35B
If you can afford a Mustang, buy one. There are few if a y safer investments. Budget $100K a year to fly it.

If you want to fly a Warbird, buy a T-6. Its a Great airplane. Its a reat community. It is a blast to fly.

If you want fighter performance, buy an Extra or a Rocket. 90 percent of the performance on less than 10% of the $.

If you're interested in the Titan, read my article carefully. There is nothing wrong with the airplane, but it is not a Warbird, and it doesnt have anything like fighter performance.

I remember, when I was about 13, and my dad was in a YOLO phase in his life (not doing dumb stuff, but reevaluating his goals, and deciding to not put off things that he could do today, but might not be able to do tomorrow). He almost bought a P-51.

Back then, they were running about 500 AMUs in Trade a Plane, so the purchase price wasn't the issue, it was the upkeep. He said, to fly it enough to stay proficient and keep it running, it would cost him over 50AMUs a year, and that was mostly fuel costs (AVgas had just reached the God awful high price of $3/gal) Insurance was another major cost factor. He also would have to sell the Bonanza, buy a bigger hangar, and buy a tug to move the plane around with.

I suppose it worked out better that he decided forego that experience, and instead, use the money to enjoy the Bonanza more, but dang, that would have been awesome had he bought a -51.

Be Kind, Rewind...

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 11:39 

Post Likes: +1963
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
The only addition to what Doug said is that I really like an L-19. It's Cessna easy to maintain, and challenging enough that it's fun to fly.

And, to quote Doug...."it's the ground-looping-est SOaB that exists".

(I have no comment, or experience with the topic which started the thread...but I cannot emphasize enough Doug's comments)

I'll second that. I've found mine to be fun to fly and very practical but as you've noted, not the most user friendly plane ever made. It's fast enough, about 115 MPH, with a lot of space for two and some bags, to use for travel too.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 12:09 

Post Likes: +1155
Aircraft: C 210
Hum...
One of the sexiness / attraction is the sound of the Merlin... It just grabs you....

You would probably get looks at the local breakfast place, because it is very nicely done.

But for myself, I rather keep the dream of owning the real thing, versus having a cheap copy.

Agreed but this one sounds ok :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7tC4kAhtQ

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 12:37 

Post Likes: +8020
Aircraft: C-182

Doug,

I always thought a T-28 was a cool airplane. Are they in demand like some of the other war birds? Are they good for acro? It seems that they wouldn't have the ground handling issues of the tail wheel T-6. Any BT'ers have one?

Evergreen had a T-28 that Bob Hoover flew for us, but I never saw his demo flights in it. Of course he would fly acro in just about anything. ;)

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 12:43 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3605
Company: AssuredPartners Aerospace Phx.
Aircraft: IAR823, LrJet, 240Z

Not a warbird! Shots Fired!

Or for cheap warbird-like experience: a Yak 52 or Yak 50. Especially if you like oil.

C: 602-628-2701

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 13:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4200
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza
Hum...

While I agree, that one sounds great, it is a Stewart S-51 with a big block Chevy V8.....not the Honda V6.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 15:40 

Post Likes: +998

Can't stand videos like this. Didn't make it very far. Jump, jump, jump on the scenes and loud obnoxious music...

Show me the aircraft, let me listen to the aircraft and shut the F up and dump the music.

Dan

Last edited on 25 Jan 2023, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2023, 15:40 

Post Likes: +62
Company: Charwood Partners

So then what are your thoughts on a T28?

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next