banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 22:04 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 36  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Spacex Starship OFT
PostPosted: 06 May 2023, 21:11 

Post Likes: +6882
Aircraft: Debonair C33A
Username Protected wrote:
Now that the real fallout has ended, the political fallout is just beginning:

https://www.flyingmag.com/spacex-starsh ... ly-by-faa/

"An anomaly occurred during the ascent and prior to stage separation resulting in a loss of the vehicle. No injuries or public property damage have been reported. The FAA will oversee the mishap investigation of the Starship / Super Heavy test mission."

What Musk sees as a successful test, the FAA sees as a mishap that needs to be investigated. I could even see this ending up in public hearings.

I'll be surprised if they fly again this year between the physical damage to repair, and the political damage which will take even longer to fix.

SpaceX didn't learn they need a flame diverter/suppression system from this test, they (and many others) knew that BEFORE they flew. Now that lack of preparation will cost them substantial delays.

Mike C.

I doubt this is going to be a big deal. Elon was pretty adamant that all he was hoping for with this test was to clear the pad. The crash was pretty much inevitable, the only question was how high it will go before it blows up.

He crashed what, 6 or 7 Starships in the initial, single stage tests before he landed one. Was there anything other than cursory investigation on those attempts? :shrug:

PostPosted: 06 May 2023, 22:43 

Post Likes: +22924
Aircraft: A33
How the heck is this thing supposed to take back off from the surface of Mars ?

PostPosted: 06 May 2023, 23:53 

Post Likes: +5807
Company: Malco Power Design
Aircraft: 1976 Baron 58

Last I heard Elon talk about it the first few trips to Mars are one way affairs.

How it will take back off from the moon is a better question. I’d assume the version of the ship that does that duty will have some sort of base to elevate the engines enough that they won’t be damaged by the debris it will inevitably stir up.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 01:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
I doubt this is going to be a big deal. Elon was pretty adamant that all he was hoping for with this test was to clear the pad. The crash was pretty much inevitable, the only question was how high it will go before it blows up.

The rocket exploding is not the mishap.

Throwing concrete boulders 1/2 mile and dust for 6 miles is the mishap.

The lack of adequate FTS is also a serious issue. Indeed, the fact the rocket DIDN'T blow up properly is far more serious than the fact it DID.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 08:23 

Post Likes: +19618
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55

Last I heard Elon talk about it the first few trips to Mars are one way affairs.

How it will take back off from the moon is a better question. I’d assume the version of the ship that does that duty will have some sort of base to elevate the engines enough that they won’t be damaged by the debris it will inevitably stir up.

First, “this thing” won’t be taking off from anywhere but Earth. Landers will be the Starship upper stage “only”. Those will have legs and in the case of Lunar Starship the landing thrusters at least will be high up on the side of the vehicle to minimize damage from the regolith flying around. In theory, these could be used to lift off to a safe height prior to main engine start.

The big issue with returning from Mars is the need for in-situ fuel production, but I don’t know how much emphasis is being placed on leaving.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 11:26 

WWW  Profile

The big issue with returning from Mars is the need for in-situ fuel production, but I don’t know how much emphasis is being placed on leaving.

Everyone who goes there will soon want to return. There's nothing on Mars anyone wants and plenty to drive you away including radiation, no water, no food, no air, no energy, little sunlight. Some people like the idea of living on Mars, but they won't like the reality.

Living on the Moon would be a LOT easier, closer, more sun, more energy, less gravity to overcome, no sandstorms, and just as useful.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 12:05 

Post Likes: +2703
Aircraft: B55 P2
Some people just like living in remote places on the edge. The guy who managed our telescope project over winter at the south pole, has gone there every winter for the last 10 years or more. He finds the main base too crowded so he mostly stays in the smaller building a quarter mile away that houses the telescope systems.

There is a long waiting list for working on the Antarctic tram which takes a multi-week drive from Mc Murdo to the pole.

I'm sure there will be enough people who like the idea of living on mars to keep the base occupied

Everyone who goes there will soon want to return. There's nothing on Mars anyone wants and plenty to drive you away including radiation, no water, no food, no air, no energy, little sunlight. Some people like the idea of living on Mars, but they won't like the reality.

Living on the Moon would be a LOT easier, closer, more sun, more energy, less gravity to overcome, no sandstorms, and just as useful.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 12:23 

Mike C.

Yep.

The best description I’ve heard of Mars is to take Antarctica in the winter. Make it slightly less hospitable. And then take away the ability to breathe the air.

That said there are plenty who will want to go. Freedom and adventure are strong draws to our species. If I didn’t have kids I’d be on the list for the first flight.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 12:30 

WWW  Profile

Some people just like living in remote places on the edge.

Not permanently.

And Antarctica is heavenly compared to Mars.

Quote:
I'm sure there will be enough people who like the idea of living on mars to keep the base occupied

Agreed, they like the idea.

They won't like the reality.

I can build a Mars simulator here on Earth. It will be a dark, super cold room underground that if you step outside you get bombarded by radiation and die of asphyxiation. You will get no water, food, or air.

Good luck!

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 15:52 

Post Likes: +10715
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

Not permanently.

Quote:

I can build a Mars simulator here on Earth. It will be a dark, super cold room underground that if you step outside you get bombarded by radiation and die of asphyxiation. You will get no water, food, or air.

Good luck!

Mike C.

I wonder what the midday sun feels like on Mars. Is it perceptibly warming or just not as dark as nighttime. Is there a place/time on Earth where the watts per square meter matches the equatorial irradiance when the sun is directly overhead on Mars?

I assume the thin Martian atmosphere attenuates the solar flux quite a bit less than the Earth's atmosphere and if so the ratio should be less than the square of each planet's orbital distance.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 16:06 

Post Likes: +2703
Aircraft: B55 P2
South pole is less hostile than mars by a lot, but its also less interesting. Fun for a week, but then its just flat and white. You can walk as far as you want and nothing changes. Mars OTOH has very interesting scenery.

You don't need a full space suit in the Antarctic winter, but close. Adding pressurization wouldn't change it much.

The point is actually being somewhere remote. The same people who enjoy working in the remote ataractic in winter would not want to sit in a refrigerated chamber for 6 months. Its not so different from people who enjoy flying real airplanes, but have no interest in simulators (except for training to fly real planes).

Not permanently.

Quote:

Good luck!

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 16:27 

Post Likes: +19618
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
I wonder what the midday sun feels like on Mars. Is it perceptibly warming or just not as dark as nighttime. Is there a place/time on Earth where the watts per square meter matches the equatorial irradiance when the sun is directly overhead on Mars?

I assume the thin Martian atmosphere attenuates the solar flux quite a bit less than the Earth's atmosphere and if so the ratio should be less than the square of each planet's orbital distance.

What I’ve read says that the relative intensity of the sun on Mars is half of what we get on Earth. It’s not accurate, but I’m guessing that if we assume 100% sunlight at our equator and zero at the poles, then 45° Latitude would have about the same relative solar intensity as the equator on Mars.

The problem on Mars isn’t distance and intensity, it’s that there is no magnetosphere on Mars to deflect the incoming solar wind, which is a bunch of high energy particles and what Mike C. is talking about when he says “radiation”. It’s a serious problem, and one way to mitigate it is to live underground, though as he points out, that would be unpleasant.

There are other less extreme options. The bottom of the Valles Marineris is 7km (4 mi) deep in places, and the shadow that the walls cast also provides shelter from the solar wind. There are some other options.

Mike’s not wrong, but it is not impossible to live there, and I would bet not as miserable as he makes it out to be. I would not want to be a colonist, but I would sure love to visit for a year.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 16:46 

Post Likes: +399
Aircraft: 1980 M20J Missile300
That said there are plenty who will want to go. Freedom and adventure are strong draws to our species. If I didn’t have kids I’d be on the list for the first flight.

Perhaps - If you don't think about the possible (certain?!) outcome too much.....

Rod Serling/Damon Knight had a pretty humorous take on it over 60 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DAzo6rHxGw&list=PLgsn43CcDOc3-COrlUvLQtVl3pLt_fDNh&index=13

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 17:20 

Perhaps - If you don't think about the possible (certain?!) outcome too much.....

We are too comfortable in our modern world. The first colonists of North America left Europe with a not much different idea. There was really no practical return possible (many had mortgaged the next several years of their lives to pay for the one way trip).

PostPosted: 07 May 2023, 17:28 

Post Likes: +1195
Aircraft: Breeezy, 182,601P
We have a comfortable life here in the first world on earth....
Given that:
Humans are explorers....

History has lots of example of people leaving comfort for an uncertain future in an inhospitable place.

The "Comfortable Normal" people all thought these people were crazy too....

Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 36  Next