Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Citation versus airline
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 09:38 

Post Likes: +2125
Aircraft: 1985 Bonanza F33A
Username Protected wrote:
Don't forget the 2 - 3 hours in advance for security checks either. Then there is finding a parking space, getting on the bus to the terminal, etc.

I never arrive 2-3 hours before. I arrive 1hr before boarding (about 1.5hrs before departure time).

I also just park in short term parking and pay the fee since it's a pain to deal with long term parking.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 10:36 

Post Likes: +3602
Aircraft: Piper M600
Don't forget the 2 - 3 hours in advance for security checks either. Then there is finding a parking space, getting on the bus to the terminal, etc.

I never arrive 2-3 hours before. I arrive 1hr before boarding (about 1.5hrs before departure time).

I also just park in short term parking and pay the fee since it's a pain to deal with long term parking.

That works sometimes. Even at sleepy BOI one day dropping the plane off there for service was an hour wait in security??? Go figure. Was going to miss my flight, but a nice TSA agent let us pop out of line and go through the crew gate. I did have a flight bag with me ;-). Worth it though, to see my girlfriend hauling butt barefoot through the terminal, high heels in hand. Made it as the gate gal was closing the door.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 14:05 

Post Likes: +2404
Company: retired corporate mostly
Aircraft: 1956 Champion 7EC
When we went to the Las Vegas race, team went airline... left at 6am from Asheville. Owner went in the B200 left at 9am, one stop for lunch (it's quick in Hutchinson,KS, buffet lunch) and we were usually in the hotel lobby when the team arrived.

soloed in a land of Superhomers/1959 Cessna 150, retired with Proline 21/ CJ4.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 15:42 

Post Likes: +960
Aircraft: A36
You can really optimize your airline experience. Nobody should be waiting in security lines. Priority access is really easy to get. I'm always amazed when I hear people talk about our long waits at security when all they would need to do is get an airline branded CC to get priority access.

I usually time it to get to security 30 minutes before boarding. Plenty of time to opt out of MMW machines (if I can't avoid them by selecting the line that doesn't have it), get something at Starbucks, and stroll to my gate.

Commercial flying is really all about knowing and playing the game correctly. Have at least basic frequent flyer status. That will put you ahead of 95% of all flyers during the holidays, which means that you will get to your destination while others will be stranded at the airport. Invest in a credit card that gives you free Global Entry (which also comes with precheck). Get a credit card that gives you free lounge access. Lounge agents are great resources during irregular operations since there will not be a huge line to talk to them. Sign up for free programs with car rental agencies. Nobody should be standing in line to rent a car, either.

And so on.....

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 18:31 

Post Likes: +739
Aircraft: Mooney 252/Encore
You can really optimize your airline experience. Nobody should be waiting in security lines. Priority access is really easy to get. I'm always amazed when I hear people talk about our long waits at security when all they would need to do is get an airline branded CC to get priority access.

I usually time it to get to security 30 minutes before boarding. Plenty of time to opt out of MMW machines (if I can't avoid them by selecting the line that doesn't have it), get something at Starbucks, and stroll to my gate.

Commercial flying is really all about knowing and playing the game correctly. Have at least basic frequent flyer status. That will put you ahead of 95% of all flyers during the holidays, which means that you will get to your destination while others will be stranded at the airport. Invest in a credit card that gives you free Global Entry (which also comes with precheck). Get a credit card that gives you free lounge access. Lounge agents are great resources during irregular operations since there will not be a huge line to talk to them. Sign up for free programs with car rental agencies. Nobody should be standing in line to rent a car, either.

And so on.....

I am precheck and Clear, and I have had times when it took 30 minutes to get through security, not normally, but it has happened. And Clear is $180 per year, unless you have a high status with an airline.

Most airline credit cards that give airline lounge access cost about the same as a standard airline card plus lounge access. And the fee is not cheap for most people at $500 per year or so.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 18:43 

Post Likes: +960
Aircraft: A36

I am precheck and Clear, and I have had times when it took 30 minutes to get through security, not normally, but it has happened. And Clear is $180 per year, unless you have a high status with an airline.

Most airline credit cards that give airline lounge access cost about the same as a standard airline card plus lounge access. And the fee is not cheap for most people at $500 per year or so.

All true. Most of the cards that give lounge access are about $500 a year. Those come with free precheck and global entry, saving $100. They also come with elite status for hotels and car rentals. Easily worth $200. They also come with priority boarding and security; another $100 easily.

Again, it’s about playing the game. These benefits make up for the annual fee and probably a lot more. Even just flying 4x a year gives useful frequent flyer status. But most people aren’t even signed up.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 19:50 

Post Likes: +4650
I am currently delta diamond and have precheck and clear and global entry

I’d take a ragged out 50 year old straight wing citation anyday, or- to me, even better, a KA

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 09:38 

All true. Most of the cards that give lounge access are about $500 a year. Those come with free precheck and global entry, saving $100. They also come with elite status for hotels and car rentals. Easily worth $200. They also come with priority boarding and security; another $100 easily.

Again, it’s about playing the game. These benefits make up for the annual fee and probably a lot more. Even just flying 4x a year gives useful frequent flyer status. But most people aren’t even signed up.

Pre-check Priority for security. Do any give you free Clear?

I get Priority boarding but to FF status. Lifetime Gold with United and Delta.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 12:18 

Post Likes: +818
Aircraft: C55 baron

Amex Platinum

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 13:01 

Post Likes: +6882
Aircraft: Debonair C33A
Just returned from a trip down south in my Citation . What a wonderful trip no problem scheduling & cancelation nightmares of the airline . Makes you feel sorry for the people that must fly commercial. Especially Southwest.

That's right, let them eat cake! :cross:

Seriously, Citation vs. airlines is a no-brainer. Bonanza vs. airlines, that's a whole different kettle of fish...

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 13:35 

Post Likes: +2217
One other factor to consider is cost difference. Maybe I'm in the minority and overly conservative fiscally (not true :) ), but when I can fly commercial for $200 R/T vs spending $5000 to fly my jet or turboprop, it is difficult for me to choose to fly private, especially if I'm the only one onboard. If I'm taking family, then the cost difference is less and less of a concern.

Additionally, where you live factors in as well. I was based in southern Missouri for a long time and had no convenient airline options, so the cost difference was less of a consideration. It was very inconvenient to fly commercial.

But then I moved to the Dallas area and have a plethora of cheap, convenient airline options.

After I moved to Dallas I owned an MU2 Marquise and was planning a trip to Las Vegas, by myself. I opted to fly commercially because I just couldn't make myself spend 15-20x to fly the MU2. I think when one lives in an area that is well served by airlines, the Citation vs Airlines debate less clearly favors the Citation.

Of course if you have $100 million+ in the bank, you can't spend all the interest so cost doesn't matter.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 15:56 

Post Likes: +1828
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
It’s the rare day I see a sub 500 ticket on timing that works for me that is not via Spirit. I see our teams travel expenses, it is very difficult to fly inexpensively on shortish notice anymore.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 22:02 

Amex Platinum

Hmm, $700 a year. Clear is $180. Yeap, that is a deal. :D

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 15:49 

Post Likes: +51
Company: Rubi Aviation, Inc.
Aircraft: CE-560 (V)
I find every emergency I prepare for doesn't happen, so I prepare for them all. It's working so far!

Mike C.

:scratch: except for this week's trip.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 16:46 

Post Likes: +3602
Aircraft: Piper M600
One other factor to consider is cost difference. Maybe I'm in the minority and overly conservative fiscally (not true :) ), but when I can fly commercial for $200 R/T vs spending $5000 to fly my jet or turboprop, it is difficult for me to choose to fly private, especially if I'm the only one onboard. If I'm taking family, then the cost difference is less and less of a concern.

How much do you value your time? I have a number in my head as to what my time is worth to me, and about the only thing you can’t buy on earth is more time. When I factor in my time, flying commercial is never cheaper than my own aircraft.

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next