Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: New section about airports, hangars development etc
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 10:19 

Post Likes: +191
Aircraft: Beech 35 / C310F
Username Protected wrote:
Getting close to completing my hangar. Has anyone used a white floor for their hangar?

Since I do a fair amount of work I really like the idea of something that will reflect light on the bottom side of aircraft. My wife says the white will show too much dirt. So she is thinking a light gray which may be fine.

She loves you enough to let you have a couple airplanes and lets you build a hangar.... let her pick the floor color. :angel:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 10:32 

Post Likes: +2504
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Getting close to completing my hangar. Has anyone used a white floor for their hangar?

Since I do a fair amount of work I really like the idea of something that will reflect light on the bottom side of aircraft. My wife says the white will show too much dirt. So she is thinking a light gray which may be fine.

I used ArmorPoxy's ArmorUltra on my hangar floor in pure white.
https://armorpoxy.com/armorultra/

It wasn't cheap, but it has been a great product. We had a few application errors (first time I've painted a floor), but overall it came out great in the end. It was installed in August 2018 and still looks great.

I do get a few hot tire marks on it, but only from a turbine airplane. I haven't figure out why that airplane specifically does that. The tires are well cooled by the time it's been put in the hangar. Otherwise, I've found it to be durable. There are a few chips in it from when stuff was dropped on it, but I wouldn't expect anything to hold up to that.

White will show dirt, but it also looks very nice when clean. I use a floor scrubber on the floor, and once a year I use a mop and bucket with a stronger cleaner such as Simple Green, Purple Power, etc. I scrub it with a normal mop then run the floor scrubber over it to pick up the soapy water. Otherwise, a 4' duster mop works good for day to day cleaning.

My big suggestion is based on the manufacturer's recommendation, I had the option of using muriatic acid to etch the floor, or grind it by renting a diamond bit grinder. I chose to etch it since it was new concrete. On my next floor, I'll grind it because that would eliminate some of the swirl marks that are present from finishing the concrete. Muriatic acid sounded easier in the beginning, but hindsight being 20/20 I'm not sure it was.. I wasn't happy with the first application, so I bought more locally and applied it. I have a few marks in the floor from over etching it in places.

The two downfalls I have of the floor are I had thought about putting a floor drain inside of the garage door, but then decided not to. So when I pull a snowy vehicle or tractor in there, the water/mud wants to run all the way to the center floor drain and is a mess to clean up later. The other issue with we put anti-skid (that was included) in the floor. When it's wet it's fine, but if you have snow on your feet, the floor is slicker than whale %#$@ on an ice flow. I put commercial style rugs at each door to wipe your feet on and that made a big difference.

I would not install it on a hot summer day. We had no choice (we had 250 people and were married on the floor a week after installation) and in the hot weather the material setup almost instantly. A cooler temperature would allow it to flow better and would have provided for a better finished product.

In the end, I'll do a white floor again, likely next year at my new hangar/home. The garage section will be a different color to hide the dirt between the cars and the floor drains that are under them.

Attachment:
RNP_Hangar.jpg

Attachment:
2020-08-10 16.41.24 copy.jpg

Attachment:
2018-07-28 13.10.07 copy.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 10:41 

Post Likes: +922
Company: USAF Propulsion Laboratory
Aircraft: PA24, AEST 680, 421

She loves you enough to let you have a couple airplanes and lets you build a hangar.... let her pick the floor color. :angel:

Good point. I am blessed!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 10:45 

Post Likes: +3735
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti

Great hangar!

I used a “white” epoxy on my hangar, though in reality it is more of an off white. Love the light in the hangar. Other things to be aware of, it does yellow some where exposed to sunlight. This is most noticeable near the hangar door where I have a door mat - under the door mat is still pretty white, surrounding it is pretty yellow.

Sure it shows some dirt. But… it’s a floor. :shrug: I find I still like the overall light and the ability to find screws that fall.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 10:53 

Jason, you convinced me. We use gray in some of our laboratories, but that just looks very industrial to me. I'll show my wife the photos with white.

Normally I would do this myself. We decided to have a company come in and knock it out. They plan to grind the floor even though it is just six weeks old. Then they put a vapor suppression coating, followed by a 20 mil solid epoxy and then a 4 mil top coat enamel.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 12:32 

Great hangar!

I used a “white” epoxy on my hangar, though in reality it is more of an off white. Love the light in the hangar. Other things to be aware of, it does yellow some where exposed to sunlight. This is most noticeable near the hangar door where I have a door mat - under the door mat is still pretty white, surrounding it is pretty yellow.

The ArmorPoxy had a UV protectant for the top coat that they use with colors that yellow (i.e., whites). We dropped a couple of drips of the base coat on the ramp and that yellowed, but the floor that had the top coat is still pure white after five and a half years. There is a small section that is outside of the hangar and garage style door and there is no color difference between the outside, under the door seal and the inside hangar floor.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 13:01 

Showed those photos to the wife. First thing she said, looks like an Aerostar in there. I did not even pick up on that. How embarrassing! She is fine with the white.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 13:04 

Post Likes: +6410
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
Regarding the subject of this thread....

Didn't the Jeff's try to start a new forum/website with one sub-forum per airport? I did a quick search and reviewed my bookmarks, but can't find it.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 22:20 

Regarding the subject of this thread....

Didn't the Jeff's try to start a new forum/website with one sub-forum per airport? I did a quick search and reviewed my bookmarks, but can't find it.

It was still online a few months ago. I stumbled on the link in my bookmarks someplace...

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2023, 22:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +768
Aircraft: Piaggio P180, TTx
I prefer my floor...../Users/lorendawyant/Desktop/IMG_0038 2.jpeg

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2023, 01:52 

Post Likes: +10538
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I prefer my floor...../Users/lorendawyant/Desktop/IMG_0038 2.jpeg

Posting a link to your local drive won't work.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4