Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: New section about airports, hangars development etc
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 16:13 

Post Likes: +6452
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
Username Protected wrote:
I find this interesting and useful but think it deserves its own “heading” to keep it all in one place that can be found when needed.

This request should go to "Back Talk"
I agree that this would be a good area to start collecting this info.

Issues with Airport Management
Stories of new hangar builds
etc.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 20:15 

Post Likes: +10742
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I find this interesting and useful but think it deserves its own “heading” to keep it all in one place that can be found when needed.

This request should go to "Back Talk"
I agree that this would be a good area to start collecting this info.

Issues with Airport Management
Stories of new hangar builds
etc.

Looks like Ted Meyer has done just that.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 22:28 

Post Likes: +6452
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
He did...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=214283

Folks here should go upvote/like there!

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2022, 09:15 

Post Likes: +2114
Company: FlightRepublic
Aircraft: DA40, C182
I added my vote to the new thread, but felt this should go here: I watched Mike Patey’s latest video mentioning the FBO/business park development he is involved with at Spanish Fork. It sounds like he might have some good ideas about promoting GA to local officials.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2022, 10:51 

Post Likes: +152
Aircraft: 1959 Bonanza K35
Thanks, Antoni, I saw that too! An exciting development for folks at KSPC & in the KSLC/Provo area. Aside from promoting his new FBO venture, he referred to the work done with Spanish Forks airport management in getting to understand the specific needs of the GA community leading to success in getting the project approved. It underlines the importance of establishing/maintaining an active dialogue with the airport sponsor/leadership.

He introduces this prohect about 3:40 into this video: https://youtu.be/NkeyHWMT-Sg

Excited to watch that progress (as we can count on him to document and share it) and look for examples on how to do the same at other locations.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2023, 20:13 

Post Likes: +577
I just received a quote for a 60x60 hangar sliding door for $260k. Higher than I’d hoped. Lower than I’d feared.

I understand your fear!! :crazy: My goodness, that seems outrageous! A friend of mine just built a nice 70x70 w/ a Schwiess bi-fold door, several other walk-thru doors, a garage door, insulation, lighting and concrete pads outside for $170K. This is @ Bridgeport, TX (KXBP). It's already too small, so he's adding on the end now to put a shop and office area. Don't know what that'll come in at yet. It is a little less expensive per sq. foot the larger you go, but $260K for a basic 60x60 seems ludicrous. You must be in a highly desirable location. :doh: I'd give it a year and prices might come down a bit. Q1 '23 Recession, or some softer semblance thereof, looking highly likely. ~ ME

Addition for shop and office in progress @ KXBP: 30x15 (900 sq ft), two story, electrical, windows, doors, sheet rocked, heated/cooled, stairs, etc. = $60K.

Location, Location, Location... I guess. :shrug:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 23:26 

Post Likes: +2556
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A

I understand your fear!! :crazy: My goodness, that seems outrageous! A friend of mine just built a nice 70x70 w/ a Schwiess bi-fold door, several other walk-thru doors, a garage door, insulation, lighting and concrete pads outside for $170K. This is @ Bridgeport, TX (KXBP). It's already too small, so he's adding on the end now to put a shop and office area. Don't know what that'll come in at yet. It is a little less expensive per sq. foot the larger you go, but $260K for a basic 60x60 seems ludicrous. You must be in a highly desirable location. :doh: I'd give it a year and prices might come down a bit. Q1 '23 Recession, or some softer semblance thereof, looking highly likely. ~ ME

Your friend got a smoking deal. I built my steel 70X70 with a 64x18 (opening) Schweiss door in 2017 and I had $250k in it. I received an estimates last fall and it was estimated to be around $400k to build by the same builder.

I just built a hangar/home and I can tell you that $170k likely wouldn't cover the basic 3700 sq-ft hangar/garage...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2023, 20:50 

Post Likes: +258
Aircraft: Cessna T206H
I’m in Denton which is a hop skip and jump from Bridgeport and there’s no way you’d get that built here for twice that.
Good for him.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2023, 10:39 

Post Likes: +928
Company: USAF Propulsion Laboratory
Aircraft: PA24, AEST 680, 421

Your friend got a smoking deal. I built my steel 70X70 with a 64x18 (opening) Schweiss door in 2017 and I had $250k in it. I received an estimates last fall and it was estimated to be around $400k to build by the same builder.

I just built a hangar/home and I can tell you that $170k likely wouldn't cover the basic 3700 sq-ft hangar/garage...

A really great deal compared to todays prices. I have one under construction now. Granted it has heated floors, hydraulic door., bathroom, mezzanine. Much closer to $100/ft^2 by the time everything is added up.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2023, 13:03 

Post Likes: +2556
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
I just received a quote for a 60x60 hangar sliding door for $260k. Higher than I’d hoped. Lower than I’d feared.

I just did some "back of the napkin" math. You literally could not buy the materials for a 70X70 with a Schweiss door today for $170k.

The best investment I ever made was when I (meaning personally) built a 50X50 Kentucky Steel Truss building in 2002. I had exactly $40k in it, insulated, heated and a High-Fold 46'X14' door. I've spent more time (awake) in that building than I have at home.

The way to have a hangar today is to buy one already built. They come and go from time to time. I've bought several for much less than it cost to build and then rent them out.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2023, 17:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +50
I've been watching videos on YouTube of concrete 3D printed structures. I can't figure out why these aren't being used to make hangars. You can setup the print to go wide enough in the X direction to make the hangar, and the Y direction is unlimited (you just need more track).

Any of you seen these in person? Hangars just makes sense in my head. Minimal insulation (concrete has a terrible R value), multiple construction in same axis, known width/height for any airfield. Seems perfect for a T-hangar. Just need to add a door to the front.

Maybe I'm just not versed enough in construction and "putting up the wall" is the cheap part, but if any of you all know I'm genuinely curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73BAyxiniPM

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2023, 18:05 

Post Likes: +10742
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I've been watching videos on YouTube of concrete 3D printed structures. I can't figure out why these aren't being used to make hangars. You can setup the print to go wide enough in the X direction to make the hangar, and the Y direction is unlimited (you just need more track).

Any of you seen these in person? Hangars just makes sense in my head. Minimal insulation (concrete has a terrible R value), multiple construction in same axis, known width/height for any airfield. Seems perfect for a T-hangar. Just need to add a door to the front.

Maybe I'm just not versed enough in construction and "putting up the wall" is the cheap part, but if any of you all know I'm genuinely curious.

Can they print the rebar as well. Without some steel or something similar I don't think just concrete would be all that strong unless the walls were a couple feet thick (with airgaps).

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2023, 08:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +50

Can they print the rebar as well. Without some steel or something similar I don't think just concrete would be all that strong unless the walls were a couple feet thick (with airgaps).

Not automatically from what I've seen, but there's typically a lot of people still around the build. From what I've watched there are a number of on-site construction staff required to add reinforcement, receptacles, etc. as the print is going.

I think it's still early (and maybe niche/non-scalable) but I'd think a row of hangars or something similar should be a leading use case. Seems far-fetched that it's cost competitive for a one-off home.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2023, 16:52 

Post Likes: +43
Aircraft: A big shiny one! 58
I was looking for a place for my Baron in the Orlando area. Got responses of $600K+ to $1.2 mil for 50X50's, or I could rent a community hangar space for $900/mo. :bugeye:

Fortunately, I was able to score a nice little T-hangar at KISM for $675/mo. Still more than I was hoping for but I can't seem to find anything better in central Florida.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 08:37 

Post Likes: +928
Company: USAF Propulsion Laboratory
Aircraft: PA24, AEST 680, 421
Getting close to completing my hangar. Has anyone used a white floor for their hangar?

Since I do a fair amount of work I really like the idea of something that will reflect light on the bottom side of aircraft. My wife says the white will show too much dirt. So she is thinking a light gray which may be fine.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next