29 Mar 2024, 08:50 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Difficulties with local airport
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2022, 01:04 

Post Likes: +1280
Aircraft: F8L Falco
I've only got two words of advice: Drew Coates.

George

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2022, 01:36 

Post Likes: +270
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
The FAA has gotten involved and we are filing in Federal Court. I decided to abide by their suspension as violating it would make subsequent legal matters more murky. Back in Mits Dec 8th. Husky was out for annual and couldn’t bring it home so left it in a hangar in nearby city or at my home strip as needed.
The name of our ranch and home strip was given to us by my wife’s dad before he got ALS and passed. He visited from Connecticut shortly after we bought the land. My wife told him we now had our very own “Green Acres.” Being used to the dense green grass of horse farms back east he looked at our land and said the Wyoming pasture looked more like “Rock in a Hard Place.” And the name stuck.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2022, 22:17 

Post Likes: +85
Aircraft: Aerostar 601P, AS350
Thomas, I ran into some issues like you. Had a business that wasn’t able to build a facility or operate out of the municipal because of political issues and the airport board/manager being employed by my competitor.

I ended up pouring a 4,000’ concrete runway of my own, 6NE3 airport was born and my problems went away.

The FAA regional airport compliance team reached out to me and has been investigating discriminatory action by the municipal airport for the last couple years.

Huge undertaking to go build an airport but I’m glad I did, that thing will still be here when I die.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2022, 08:24 

Post Likes: +22860
Aircraft: A33
Username Protected wrote:
Tarver’s comment of a private strip has merit, but I’ll add that it’s tough to fly in hard IMC off a private strip

Lighting systems and paying for approaches are pricey and time consuming

you don't need lighting or approaches to operate from your private airport on an IFR flight plan

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2022, 08:45 

Post Likes: +85
Aircraft: Aerostar 601P, AS350
https://hughesaerospace.com/designing-t ... rocedures/

This is the guy that can give you your own approaches, public or private (non-published)…: like net jets aspen approach.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2022, 14:32 

Post Likes: +10540
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Tarver’s comment of a private strip has merit, but I’ll add that it’s tough to fly in hard IMC off a private strip

Lighting systems and paying for approaches are pricey and time consuming

you don't need lighting or approaches to operate from your private airport on an IFR flight plan

Unless you build your runway directly under the final approach path to a nearby airport I think you legally do if you want to arrive when the weather is worse than 700 ft and 1 mile. Personally I'd be uncomfortable scud running for a visual approach if the ceiling was less than 2000 or the visibility was less than 3 miles.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2022, 16:18 

Post Likes: +350
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza 36
File a part 16 complaint

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2022, 18:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4410
Aircraft: B200, 500B
A rock and hard place. It is as poetic as it is ironic. You must be a futurist. Might a recommend a change to “Sawbones” or “Bone bender.”

Bonebender Airport (41NY) was used by Doc Josh (AME) for many years to commute to his office at the airport in Burlington, VT. It was 16 mile flight, or a one hour drive (including a ferry that did not start running early enough for him to open the office at 8am.) Avoiding the ferry turned it into a 1:50 drive.

Having your own airport is the end goal for many of us.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2022, 22:43 

Post Likes: +1862
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7
Good luck!
…good thing they didn’t find a water pipe leak under the tarmac in front of your hangar!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 00:29 

Post Likes: +4354
Aircraft: 182, A36TC
A rock and hard place. It is as poetic as it is ironic. You must be a futurist. Might a recommend a change to “Sawbones” or “Bone bender.”

Bonebender Airport (41NY) was used by Doc Josh (AME) for many years to commute to his office at the airport in Burlington, VT. It was 16 mile flight, or a one hour drive (including a ferry that did not start running early enough for him to open the office at 8am.) Avoiding the ferry turned it into a 1:50 drive.

Having your own airport is the end goal for many of us.

I knew and flew with Josh S. His wife, who is a pilot is still with us.

He was full of energy and always pushed the limits. Airplanes never caught up to him.

He and his wife let me land at his airport very early in my flying career. My kids first flight was in his 180 on skis into Stillwater. One day, out of the blue he called me to ski at Le Massif via the 180. I don’t know why I didn’t and I still regret not going.

Somewhere he is buzzing the crap out of someone. My time with him was short and yet I have numerous stories.

Ryan Holt CFI

"Paranoia and PTSD are requirements not diseases"

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 00:53 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4410
Aircraft: B200, 500B
I knew and flew with Josh S. His wife, who is a pilot is still with us.

He was full of energy and always pushed the limits. Airplanes never caught up to him.

He and his wife let me land at his airport very early in my flying career. My kids first flight was in his 180 on skis into Stillwater. One day, out of the blue he called me to ski at Le Massif via the 180. I don’t know why I didn’t and I still regret not going.

Somewhere he is buzzing the crap out of someone. My time with him was short and yet I have numerous stories.

I heard him come in on a special more than once as I was preparing to leave. As you said, he pushed the limits but airplanes never caught up to him. I never got the chance to fly with him.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 09:35 

Post Likes: +270
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
File a part 16 complaint

I have spoken with the Denver FAA representative overseeing airports and asked about Part 13 and Part 16 complaints. He advised that things generally work better and faster with an informal process. He has asked that me and other local pilots put our complaints in a letter to him, he will meet with the airport, then host a 3 way meeting between the airport manager, pilots, and the FAA…progress.

Also, two days ago I learned that the airport had filed a formal complaint with the FAA Airman Division against me. They were able to listen to the ATC tapes I had asked them to save, and luckily, the local airport’s penchant for security cameras watching everything had worked against them because the FAA was able to review the video from inside the FBO that morning including the UNICOM radio transmissions between me, the FBO and the plow trucks.
The FAA determined that I departed an open runway in a safe manner with a valid instrument clearance and waited for all trucks to call clear of the runway. They told the airport that if they had wanted pilots to not use the runway, they should have closed it with a NOTAM.
The airport manager will not rescind the suspension even after this finding of fact and the admission that the “Airport Rules and Regulations” they accuse me of violating do not, in fact, exist.
Oh well, more fodder for the federal case. I’ll see if my attorney can subpoena the video record from the FBO. I’m sure they will “accidentally” misplace it.
My “suspension” is up on Dec 8th anyway and I can bring my Husky home and return to flying the Mitsubishi.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 11:37 

Post Likes: +584
Aircraft: Seabee Aerostar 700
thanks for fighting the good fight.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 12:43 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5522
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
What a nightmare, Thomas. Seems like WY is still the Wild Wild West, at least if you're an airport manager!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 16:49 

Post Likes: +30
Aircraft: Bonanza
This has been a crazy read.

I'm thankful to have a small, generally calm airport, just an 8 minute drive from my home.
It has no night operations, and is short, especially with the 400' displacement they put on it, but doesn't matter to me, as I regularly fly into even shorter strips.

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next