Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Funny New Citation Fuel Sticker
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 05:56 

Post Likes: +299
Aircraft: M20J/R, Sr22, SR20
Username Protected wrote:
This sticker will be annoying to many because it's overtly political and makes fun of a young woman who is, with good intentions, trying to raise consciousness of human impact on global climate change. I sure would hate the annoyed person to be the one filling my gas tank.

Also, probably not the best idea to put any sticker near your fuel filler port except one that clearly says what may and may not go inside the tank. Enough people have trouble with this as it is even with stickers explaining such.

It's always those that talk about raising awareness, that want folks NOT TO be vocal about something. They want you to be afraid to speak up about your thoughts/opposition to idiots like this young lady and the others who think that the world will end in 1974/2000/2012... or whatever new date that Al Gore is throwing around. They want you to be afraid to speak up.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 07:47 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8869
Company: Schulte Booth, P.C.
Aircraft: 1958 Bonanza 35
I am all for "clean" energy whatever that may mean.

Petrol is dirty on many fronts.

But the fact is it powers the world right now and there is not suitable replacement in the near future, wish as we might.

I am not for a conversation that has one side demonizing the other for having the temerity to challenge some of the underlying and highly questionable assumptions of so-called "green energy" movement and the more militant proponents of it, such as Ms. Thornburg and her sponsors.

Energy is a complex issue.

Ms. Thornburg is simpleton and should be treated as such.

Robert D. Schulte
http://www.schultebooth.com

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 16:14 

Post Likes: +26
Aircraft: C421
I have to drive a Tesla. It's the only way I can afford to fuel my 421. Damn she's a thirsty girl.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 16:38 

Post Likes: +5183
Aircraft: V35A TC
Some of us need to expand our carbon foot print..... :bow: :peace:

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 22:42 

Post Likes: +766
Aircraft: C182R
Ah, classic "boomer humour". About 3 years behind the times, as always.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 23:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +333
Company: NetJets
Aircraft: 1977 Bonanza A36
Without getting too serious or political:

5) we are never going to change China or India, so crippling our country’s energy is going to do nothing except hurt us

This sums it up succinctly!!!

ABS Life Member

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 23:18 

Post Likes: +2114
Company: FlightRepublic
Aircraft: DA40, C182
Ah, classic "boomer humour". About 3 years behind the times, as always.

Meanwhile in Germany …

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2022, 15:01 

Post Likes: +5
Aircraft: TBM900 and C208
[quote="Michael Tarver"]
1) I think there is an unlimited supply of oil.

One of the dutch astronauts who stayed some time at ISS said that we are all astronauts on spacecraft earth. And we are, traveling at speeds of 67.000 miles per hour around the sun and at the same time traveling at speeds of almost 500.000 miles per hour around the centre of the Milky Way.

Now, tell me, how can anything be unlimited on board a spacecraft?

Personally, I do not like this Greta Thunberg character at all, but I also find this sticker bad taste. And I think the people who came up with this sticker will not be doing the GA community a favor.

Last year within my company we converted an agricultural terrain into a forest. We planted about 41.000 trees on 10 hectares. I fly a TBM900, only about 30 hours a year. So that means that I put about 60 Gph x 3,78 liter x 2,6 kg CO2/liter x 30 hours = 17.700 kg CO2 into the atmosphere annually. Our goal is to plant about 100 hectares of forest which will offset the CO2 footprint of my company.

A forest will take up between 4.000 kg CO2/hectare (young forest) and 11.000 kg CO2/hectare (older forest) every year. So by planting 3 to 4 hectares I can offset my flying. Perhaps I can offer an alternative text for a sticker: "My burn is offset by planting trees".

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2022, 15:44 

Post Likes: +108
Aircraft: 1973 Bonanza A36
We all have to understand the agenda behind the CO2 madness.

CO2 is 4% of the green house gasses (GHG), of these 4% only a tiny part (4%) is man made (antropogenic), which makes it 0,016% of total GHG, the rest of CO2 is generated by the earth, oceans, plants decaying, sand, vulcanoes, forest fires, etc.

Let's not forget that 96% of GHG is water vapor, good old H2O, coming from the sun heating the water in the ocean, lakes, meadows etc.

Billions of €, $ etc are being spent on subsidies for mechanisms to reduce CO2, even extracting it from the atmosphere as if that would make any difference. If we could magically eliminate 100% of anthropogenic CO2 (0,016% of the GHG) how much would the temperature of the earth drop? Would it even be measurable?

This is also supposing CO2 is a driver of global warming instead of a result. Remember, when you heat a kettle of water for tea or coffee, more water vapor is generated when the water is boiling than when the water is cold.

In the met office in the air force, I spent many nights watching the recording thermometer, on clear nights I could see the temperature dropping gradually after sunset, when it suddenly started to rise again, it was a sure sign that a cloud bank had rolled in, reflecting the heat loss from the earth just like a blanket.

Man can do a lot to improve the environment by reducing pollution, about climate: not much.

Last edited on 04 Sep 2022, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2022, 17:25 

Post Likes: +5264
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
We all have to understand the agenda behind the CO2 madness.

CO2 is 4% of the green house gasses (GHG), of these 4% only a tiny part (4%) is man made (antropogenic), which makes it 0,016% of total GHG, the rest of CO2 is generated by the earth, oceans, plants decaying, sand, vulcanoes, forest fires, etc.

Let's not forget that 96% of GHG is water vapor, good old H2O, coming from the sun heating the water in the ocean, lakes, meadows etc.

Billions of €, $ etc are being spent on subsidies for mechanisms to reduce CO2, even extracting it from the atmosphere as if that would make any difference. If we could magically eliminate 100% of anthropogenic CO2 (0,016% of the GHG) how much would the temperature of the earth drop? Would it even be measurable?

This is also supposing CO2 is a driver of global warming instead of a result. Remember, when you heat a kettle of water for tea or coffee, more water vapor is generated when the water is boiling than when the water is cold.

In the met office in the air force, I spent many nights watching the recording thermometer, on clear nights I could see the temperature dropping gradually after sunset, when it suddenly started to rise again, it was a sure sign that a cloud bank had rolled it, reflecting the heat loss from the earth just like a blanket.

Man can do a lot to improve the environment by reducing pollution, about climate: not much.

Let’s, um, take a look at the earths natural discharge of greenhouse gases and then draw a parallel to humans fossil fuel uses why don’t we. Perhaps we can convince Mother Earth to stop polluting herself because we humans don’t like it.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2022, 20:01 

Post Likes: +5264
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
Hunga Tonga Ha Apia volcano caused more climate change in seconds than humans have done in decades. But facts are irrelevant when money is attached to climate initiatives.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3204/tong ... atosphere/

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2022, 20:33 

Post Likes: +3435
Aircraft: PA-30 Twin Comanche
Last year within my company we converted an agricultural terrain into a forest. We planted about 41.000 trees on 10 hectares. I fly a TBM900, only about 30 hours a year. So that means that I put about 60 Gph x 3,78 liter x 2,6 kg CO2/liter x 30 hours = 17.700 kg CO2 into the atmosphere annually. Our goal is to plant about 100 hectares of forest which will offset the CO2 footprint of my company.

A forest will take up between 4.000 kg CO2/hectare (young forest) and 11.000 kg CO2/hectare (older forest) every year. So by planting 3 to 4 hectares I can offset my flying. Perhaps I can offer an alternative text for a sticker: "My burn is offset by planting trees".

How many people will now go hungry because you removed a field that produced their food from production?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2022, 21:34 

Post Likes: +6409
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
How many people will now go hungry because you removed a field that produced their food from production?

Eric,

An interesting counter-point, but my first thought leaned towards housing affordability. As in. "We could build more housing, but we need these forests for carbon offsets".

I'm not sure who is right, but, if it gets bad enough, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Jim

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2022, 22:17 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2

One of the dutch astronauts who stayed some time at ISS said that we are all astronauts on spacecraft earth. And we are, traveling at speeds of 67.000 miles per hour around the sun and at the same time traveling at speeds of almost 500.000 miles per hour around the centre of the Milky Way.

Personally, I do not like this Greta Thunberg character at all, but I also find this sticker bad taste. And I think the people who came up with this sticker will not be doing the GA community a favor.

I don't know much about forests vs. hectares. What I DO know is that flying a TBM 900 only 30 hours a year is most definitely wasteful.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2022, 23:18 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: Shopping

Congratulations. You can rest well. However converting food generating land to a forest to offset your flying does not let you enjoy the philosophical high ground. It means you took food from peoples tables and took productive land away from someone who makes a living farming that agricultural terrain.

Not all solutions are neat and tidy. Maybe the sticker should say - my burn is offset by planting trees and displacing farmers.

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next