Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Evolution Aircraft joins forces with JMB
PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 10:55 

Post Likes: +1310
Company: USAF
Aircraft: 1967 Bonanza V35
Evolution Aircraft joins forces with JMB
18. 5. 2022 media
This is a must watch! JMB Aircraft have announced that a collaboration deal has been made with the producer of the Evolution, a composite, four-seater, turbine powered aircraft.

“We have had discussions with Jean-Marie for over four years about the possibility of joining forces. This year I finally visited the production facility in Chocen, CZ and was quite impressed by what I saw.“ said Robert Wolstenholme, the CEO of Evolution Aircraft.

JMB will take over the production of the Evolution at their facility in Czech Republic, as well as help with the sales and marketing. The part of Evolution Aircraft based in the United States will handle research & development and service & maintenance.

“The idea was to make a mini PC-12, and when I first flew the Evolution I found exactly what I was looking for, I knew right away, it was just ‘BINGO’.“ added Jean-Marie Guisset, CEO of JMB Aircraft.

Longer version of the interview is available on @hirnklempner‘s Youtube channel. Stay tuned for more information coming soon.

https://news.jmbaircraft.com/2022/inter ... 9aj-3EKoX4

Post subject: Re: Evolution Aircraft joins forces with JMB
PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 15:19 

Post Likes: +4628
has a PC12 lost a window in the flight levels?

I love the concept of the evolution, but there are some aspects that have me :scratch:

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 20:58 

Post Likes: +1861
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7
So far they have only had a few that have cracked with the windscreen remaining intact, correct?

Do you know if those were from pressurization cycles, controller overtemp, pilot error?

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 21:31 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5705
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
Username Protected wrote:
The two lost windshields were installed at the factory on sequential builds and both showed the edges had been improperly prepared (the edges showed they had been rounded with a grinder rather than the no coarser than 40 grit sandpaper specified), which creates stress risers. Prism checks and other NDT have been done looking for similar marks on other planes, especially including the next one down the line, with none found. Shops now do a prism check at every annual.

The windshield manufacturer, LPS Aero, confirms the design is plenty strong enough for this application if properly installed.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 21:47 

Post Likes: +1861
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7
I was asking about the Pilatus PC-12 windscreens.

Related to the Evolution, I only know of the one that Dave reported on after working a small miracle with a full face of wind! I do recall that thread but didn't know two were affected.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 22:03 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5705
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
I missed the thread shift to the PC-12, sorry :oops:

The two Lancair incidents I know of resulted in one doing an emergency descent and landing in tact, and one written about in I Learned About Flying From That a few years ago that resulted in a gear up landing in a field.

PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 09:21 

Post Likes: +159
I believe there have been at least 3 Lancair Evolution fatal accidents (unrelated to the windscreen issue if memory serves, which resulted in the couple incidents discussed above). After the fatal in the Phoenix area, Evolution Aircraft was unable to obtain insurance and continue operating as before. I don’t know about insurance on operating aircraft, but the company itself has basically been shutdown for some time. I would expect JMB did the acquisition for the IP and to have a US base from which to do E/AB on its own aircraft … and perhaps to re-start the Evolution series.

But with a fleet of 80-something aircraft, 3 fatals and a couple other emergency incidents, that’s a fairly high rate of issues …

I hope this transaction works out, however, because the JMB aircraft are pretty cool and for those interested in a build-assist/EAB process, it would be much easier to do that somewhere in the US rather than trundle off to Europe and do it.

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 00:11 

Post Likes: +2329
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
Longer version of the interview is available on @hirnklempner‘s Youtube channel
Herewith
[youtube]https://youtu.be/5bawf0ByR3M[/youtube]

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 11:20 

The direction this merger is moving the needle is the entire basis of my investment/retirement strategy. I want a small (4 place) turbine powered aircraft I can buy as a builder assist/rapid complete aircraft.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2022, 16:04 

Spent some time with JMB at Oshkosh and flew the VL3 out of Fond Du Lac.

First off, the build quality is absolutely top notch. I crawled around, under, over, shined my flashlight in all the openings... this is a very polished plane. The 915is variant I flew climbed out at 2,000fpm at 100kts (the fuel tanks were full, I weigh 165# and the other pilot was slightly heavier than me, the OAT was 88 degrees). Airflow inside the cabin is quite good. The controls were very light, very light. Fingertips only on the controls and just think about what you want the pane to do. My feet were flat on the floorboard during turns). We leveled off at 10,000' and accelerated to 174kts. I chopped the power and the plane was easily controllable all the way to the initial buffet at 38kts. The descent rate with 15 degrees of flaps was staggering! we went from 10k to base in 2 minutes. No problems slowing down to cross over the fence at 75kts and easily make the first turn off at Fond Du Lac. The fit and finish of this plane is much better than I see on other new planes. Builder assist for EAB is 10 days. I am 5'8" and my son is 6'3", neither of us had issues with the seating position although he did hit his head on the canopy in turbulence. the luggage area is limited to two carry on sized bags and the required aircraft support gear.

Downsides: limited luggage capacity, highest speeds are at high altitudes, no room for my dog or long guns.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2022, 16:17 

Pics or it didn't happen

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2022, 16:51 

Post Likes: +584
Aircraft: Seabee Aerostar 700
The Evolution is a great aircraft for a personal aircraft but for my mission 4 people and stuff I need a bigger aircraft. I had a ride in an Epic a few years ago and it was just the right size. a great owner flown aircraft and for some of my missions, a pro pilot and several people it would be great;

If I was going to build one with this capability, an Epic size would be my choice as the the incremental cost and work to go slightly bigger is very small.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2022, 23:57 

I would expect JMB did the acquisition for the IP and to have a US base from which to do E/AB on its own aircraft … and perhaps to re-start the Evolution series....for those interested in a build-assist/EAB process, it would be much easier to do that somewhere in the US
I was in the JMB/EAC Oshkosh booth all week and talked to both Bob (owner of EAC) and Jean-Marie (CEO of JMB) extensively. First off, it's not an acquisition, it's the formation of a separate, joint venture by JMB and EAC. No money has or will change hands, in either direction. Second, all build-assist will be at the JMB factory in the Czech Republic, none in the US. The Evo molds are already on ships headed to Europe.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2022, 00:00 

If I was going to build one with this capability, an Epic size would be my choice
Epic is no longer producing kits, they're all certified now. I don't know of any other kits in that size/performance category.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2022, 21:45 

Post Likes: +75
Aircraft: AA5B Tiger
Spent some time with JMB at Oshkosh and flew the VL3 out of Fond Du Lac.

First off, the build quality is absolutely top notch. I crawled around, under, over, shined my flashlight in all the openings... this is a very polished plane. The 915is variant I flew climbed out at 2,000fpm at 100kts (the fuel tanks were full, I weigh 165# and the other pilot was slightly heavier than me, the OAT was 88 degrees). Airflow inside the cabin is quite good. The controls were very light, very light. Fingertips only on the controls and just think about what you want the pane to do. My feet were flat on the floorboard during turns). We leveled off at 10,000' and accelerated to 174kts. I chopped the power and the plane was easily controllable all the way to the initial buffet at 38kts. The descent rate with 15 degrees of flaps was staggering! we went from 10k to base in 2 minutes. No problems slowing down to cross over the fence at 75kts and easily make the first turn off at Fond Du Lac. The fit and finish of this plane is much better than I see on other new planes. Builder assist for EAB is 10 days. I am 5'8" and my son is 6'3", neither of us had issues with the seating position although he did hit his head on the canopy in turbulence. the luggage area is limited to two carry on sized bags and the required aircraft support gear.

Downsides: limited luggage capacity, highest speeds are at high altitudes, no room for my dog or long guns.
I was supposed to a demo flight with them on Wednesday but because of the crosswinds they cancelled the flight. I talked to the East Coast dealer down in NC and might try and squeeze something in this fall. The 915is version is a definite head turner and with only the missus and I now set in stone, two seats is more than enough.

I talked to the JMB guys about pricing and got the price if they build it, but can’t find the E-AB pricing anywhere (unless I’m blind). Did you get any info on that?

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next