banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 13:34 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Can used turbine aircraft prices get any crazier?
PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 10:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
I just sold half my plane to an entrepreneur who values his time, flexibility and ease of travel. Didn’t want to fly the airlines anymore and can afford not to. Just like me.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 11:00 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Baron 58
I am in the turbine engine aftermarket for business and GA and we have seen supplies of used engines to be much more scarce. I predict a slow reversal with the airline mask mandate lifted and fuel prices on the rise. There are lots of factors in play, but those two will drive a significant shift in my opinion.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 11:10 

Post Likes: +3998
Aircraft: C195, D17S, M20TN
Username Protected wrote:
I just sold half my plane to an entrepreneur who values his time, flexibility and ease of travel. Didn’t want to fly the airlines anymore and can afford not to. Just like me.

:D Well done Tony. Helps that prices are so high right now.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 11:10 

Post Likes: +5224
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
Covid both changed the perception of private aviation and caused folks to explore options.

This is the key point. Private aviation is great for a lot of things, but non-business big-city to big-city isn't it. Wealthy people going from NY to Florida were really pretty well served by first class airline travel. Covid changed that.

Plenty of people who could easily pay $50,000 for a Citation trip but chose to pay $5000 for a 737 trip have moved to the citation. That's probably a stable and fundamental change in the market that will take a generation of airframe, pilot and infrastructure production to support.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 11:24 

Post Likes: +1270
Aircraft: C501SP
We will be entering a fairly nasty recession later this year or early 2023. The Fed does not want to be seen as bailing out the rich people (more QE to support the stock market) while the middle and lower classes are being hammered by inflation.

I believe the "Fed Put" is much lower than it has been in the past (around 3,000 for the S&P).

The layoffs have already started at some of the dodgier companies (Netflix let some people go today).

I agree that the disaster that was PPP and other COVID relief bills were just giveaways and there is/was a metric ton of cash sloshing around. But I think a lot of it was invested and those investments are going to sour. Plus, the cost of running a jet has gone up an insane amount in a very short time.

It will be interesting to watch.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 12:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9073
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
A friend was planning on a 500k remodel on their house, contractor came back and said the price is now 750k. Why? Inflation! Needless to say they pumped the breaks... will either find a new contractor or just wait. Everything will come back to earth, now is not the time to buy an airplane.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 12:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7252
Company: Jet Acquisitions

The layoffs have already started at some of the dodgier companies (Netflix let some people go today).

Netflix should lay off all of their people based on lack of content!

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 12:31 

Post Likes: +23513
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22

Yep. They only have 3800 movies and 1800 TV shows.
Nothing to watch there...
- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 12:47 

Post Likes: +4137

Hard to believe that I used to schedule my life around "Mork and Mindy" (Yes, I admit it).

Amazing time to be alive.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 13:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7252
Company: Jet Acquisitions

Sorry, I should have said lack of NEW content. Other than Ozark it seems that most of the 3800 movies and 1800 TV shows are the same ones they've had for years.

I have also noticed that they do a horrible job of presenting their new content. I assume this is because they want people to dig for it and watch something else they find along the way?

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 14:44 

Post Likes: +328
Aircraft: In market
A friend was planning on a 500k remodel on their house, contractor came back and said the price is now 750k. Why? Inflation! Needless to say they pumped the breaks... will either find a new contractor or just wait. Everything will come back to earth, now is not the time to buy an airplane.

We were planning on doing some major renovation of our modest farmhouse. 3 years ago we did all the planning and architecture. Then this hit and we decided to wait because your house is currently worth double what we paid for it. Now when this market corrects I figure it will adjust and we’re ok with that at this point, as we were planning on about $200k. Now the materials have nearly doubled the estimate and by the time we’re done (if it would get finished with the supply chain issues) our tax assessor would likely have a field day as our house is already small by the community average. I assume once the taxes hit they won’t go down (here in Illinois) so we’ll save the money. Unfortunately we were going to shop for a plane with the idea of a turbine in 5-6 years and that has been shot to hell if prices stay the same too. Oh well. I know this will adjust itself some eventually but I don’t know how soon.

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 15:53 

Post Likes: +1270
Aircraft: C501SP
Sorry, I should have said lack of NEW content. Other than Ozark it seems that most of the 3800 movies and 1800 TV shows are the same ones they've had for years.

Stranger Things Season 4 is out next week!

PostPosted: 18 May 2022, 16:18 

Post Likes: +4509
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless

We were planning on doing some major renovation of our modest farmhouse. 3 years ago we did all the planning and architecture. Then this hit and we decided to wait because your house is currently worth double what we paid for it. Now when this market corrects I figure it will adjust and we’re ok with that at this point, as we were planning on about $200k. Now the materials have nearly doubled the estimate and by the time we’re done (if it would get finished with the supply chain issues) our tax assessor would likely have a field day as our house is already small by the community average. I assume once the taxes hit they won’t go down (here in Illinois) so we’ll save the money. Unfortunately we were going to shop for a plane with the idea of a turbine in 5-6 years and that has been shot to hell if prices stay the same too. Oh well. I know this will adjust itself some eventually but I don’t know how soon.

Florida has a "Save our Homes" law on the books that restricts property tax increases to 3% year precisely because of the current situation. During a previous run up, people were getting taxed right out of their homes because of runaway property value increases.

It works pretty well, there is some amount of in-state portability, but even if values fall off a cliff, chances are the state will still get their 3% because your home value has risen above that minimal baseline.

Best,
Rich

PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 12:40 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2
An article from last month. Add to that what the markets are doing, and I'd say crazy pricing is on the way out. At least of the high variety....

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-04-26/

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 11:55 

Post Likes: +631
Company: B777, 767, 757, 727, MD11, S80
Aircraft: Thrush S2R, AC500B,
Then I think about how it has grown my reach and shrunk the world around me and I quickly come to my senses. Ain't no way I'm selling my turbine.

Agree, Chip can bring a buyer with $2m over market for my plane and I wouldn’t part ways, wouldn’t even consider it

Good luck out there

In my case if you bring a buyer for 2M over market you own it, then I can replace it at market price. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next