Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: PT6's Sitting for Four Years
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 11:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1962
Aircraft: BE-TBD
Found it here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=180260&p=2617198

See Paul Sneden’s reply where he attached 2 pdf’s, one for long term storage procedure from Pratt and the other for parking, storing, return to service from Beech.

If these procedures were not followed and the aircraft was indeed stored for 4 years, I can’t see a legitimate a way forward without overhauls.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 11:39 

Post Likes: +4651
Can you share any numbers for estimates on the light OH cost?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 12:57 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Something to keep in mind: if you fly part 91, overhauls are never mandatory.

PWC can specify them all they want, but the FAA only cares about inspections (checking for airworthiness), not overhauls (adding new life), for being airworthy.

So that's the legal side of things.

For the practical side, turbine engines are fairly robust to idleness, far more so than piston engines, despite how detailed the idle instructions might be in the manuals. It is entirely conceivable these engines would operate fine in service, especially if they did get at least some periodic ground runs.

If I was buying into this situation, I'd make the deal assuming the engines will have to be gone through. Once past the deal, I'd do a borescope, general inspection, run them for a bit (say 30 minute ground runs), then do an oil analysis.

If the borescope, general inspection, ground run data, and oil come back clean, I'd go fly. I'd probably do 20 hour oil analysis just to keep tabs on the bearings and gears for a bit.

If they don't check out, or problems develop later, then you made a deal with the financial margin to handle it.

I lay odds the engine will be fine, or the problems they have are not due entirely to idleness.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 16:48 

Post Likes: +4002
Aircraft: Warbirds
Username Protected wrote:
Something to keep in mind: if you fly part 91, overhauls are never mandatory.

PWC can specify them all they want, but the FAA only cares about inspections (checking for airworthiness), not overhauls (adding new life), for being airworthy.

So that's the legal side of things.

For the practical side, turbine engines are fairly robust to idleness, far more so than piston engines, despite how detailed the idle instructions might be in the manuals. It is entirely conceivable these engines would operate fine in service, especially if they did get at least some periodic ground runs.

If I was buying into this situation, I'd make the deal assuming the engines will have to be gone through. Once past the deal, I'd do a borescope, general inspection, run them for a bit (say 30 minute ground runs), then do an oil analysis.

If the borescope, general inspection, ground run data, and oil come back clean, I'd go fly. I'd probably do 20 hour oil analysis just to keep tabs on the bearings and gears for a bit.

If they don't check out, or problems develop later, then you made a deal with the financial margin to handle it.

I lay odds the engine will be fine, or the problems they have are not due entirely to idleness.

Mike C.

Added to this would be Vibration Analysis. Could be done on initial ground runs and after 20 hours.
As I recall, they can pick up unusual wear on many of the bearings in the motors with it.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 20:30 

Post Likes: +622
Aircraft: Conquest
Can you share any numbers for estimates on the light OH cost?

The Prime Turbines rep said about 3/4 the price of a full overhaul, but that was in a very casual conversation.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 20:40 

Post Likes: +484
Aircraft: F33A
As a former PW (USA) and Garrett engineer, I dealt with lots of engines sitting idle for considerable periods of time.

Issues to consider:

Fuel system: fuel control seals failing, orifices getting gummed up etc
    Lube system: bearings showing corrosion, scoring (if allowed to windmill for extended periods of time)

The exterior of the engine may look unsightly, depending on the environment (moisture) oxidizing cases and controls. It’s a protective layer, but still upsets customers who want a bright shiny engine

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 20:48 

If I was buying into this situation, I'd make the deal assuming the engines will have to be gone through.

I agree with your plan here, however, I doubt the owner will accept an offer with engine overhauls subtracted from the price. Which puts the onus on me to decide if I'm willing to take the financial risk of an offer as if there was no issue with the engines.

And then there's the resale side of the equation. Let's say I own the airplane for five years with no engine problems. Will the airplane be less attractive and have a lower value when potential buyers see the period of inactivity in the logbooks? Or by then will it be a big "meh..."?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 20:51 

As a former PW (USA) and Garrett engineer, I dealt with lots of engines sitting idle for considerable periods of time.

Issues to consider:

Lube system: bearings showing corrosion, scoring (if allowed to windmill for extended periods of time)

The exterior of the engine may look unsightly, depending on the environment (moisture) oxidizing cases and controls. It’s a protective layer, but still upsets customers who want a bright shiny engine

The airplane has been stored inside a heated hangar.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 21:46 

Issues to consider:

The airplane has been stored inside a heated hangar.

The oil system should be of concern. Even stored in a heated hangar, the oil film covering the bearings will eventually break down (if the engine has not been operated in a while). All it takes is for humid air to enter the oil sump to start a corrosion pit on a ball or roller. You won’t be looking at anything catastrophic, but the bearing life may be significantly reduced if a pit forms.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 23:22 

Post Likes: +3811
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti

Issues to consider:

Is there something field mechanics can/should do on a PT6 that has been sitting to ensure these items are A) recognized and B) taken care of? Also saw your other follow on post about oil system, same question. Thanks!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2022, 23:45 

Post Likes: +30
If the plane has not been flown in 4 years, you must get a healthy discount off current market value or walk away. There is no way you will not spend significant money fixing stuff … FCU, transducers, wiring, rigging, several oil analysis, possible starter gens, calibration of guages, fuel selector valves and fuel cutoff valves, electric fuel boost pumps. borescopes etc … not to mention the time and effort it will take to put it back into service and do all the aforementioned repairs and fine turning…

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2022, 07:40 

If the plane has not been flown in 4 years, you must get a healthy discount off current market value or walk away.

Yes, I agree.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2022, 08:42 

Issues to consider:

Is there something field mechanics can/should do on a PT6 that has been sitting to ensure these items are A) recognized and B) taken care of? Also saw your other follow on post about oil system, same question. Thanks!

Your mechanic needs to check the maintenance manual specific to this model of PT6. Some engines allow you to borescope into the sump (via a vent tube, for example); some are inaccessible unless the engine is torn down. You can also do a ground run, take a SOAP sample, and hope you don’t get anything alarming showing up. However, the SOAP sample won’t tell you if the bearing has been compromised

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2022, 14:25 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +832
Aircraft: TBM850
Quote:
Pratt & Whitney maintenance manual ch 72-00-00 page 306

(1) Engines inactive 0 to 7 days.

(2) Engines inactive 8 to 28 days.

(3) Engines inactive 29 to 90 days.

There is an updated version of this procedure that adds a new option for engines inactive for 91-365 days (see attached).

After that, a light overhaul is required, per Pratt. As others have said that is recommended but not required for Part 91.

If I were going to fly it, I would at least do the work in the new 91-365 day inactive procedure in this doc.

Also, the avionics would have recorded any actual engine runs (depending on configuration), so ask for the data cards to check the logged data for analysis using FlySto, CAMP, FlightData or equivalent.

Quote:
(4) For period greater than 91 days to less than 1 year:
(a) Do the 0 to 7 day unpreserved engine procedure requirement.
(b) Prior engine start, do a Total Acid Number (TAN) test of oil in engine per related lubricating oil SB13001.
1 If TAN test is above limits, remove the engine and send to an approved facility for light overhaul.
2 If TAN is acceptable, inspect the internal of the AGB and RGB using a borescope for presence of corrosion or internal coating flaking. If corrosion and/or flaking are found, remove the engine and send to an approved facility for light overhaul.
(c) Replace the oil filter.
(d) Drain and flush oil (Ref. Para. 5. E.).
(e) Rotate propeller with your hand and check for binding. If binding, inspect per applicable EMM requirements (Ref. Inspection).
(f) Inspect the engine externals and linkages for condition and evidence of corrosion.
(g) Inspect the compressor for corrosion and cleanliness. Do compressor desalination wash, if dirty or salt laden (Ref. 71-00-00, POWER PLANT - CLEANING).
(h) Inspect fuel filter.
(i) Clean fuel nozzles, perform leak and functional test.
(j) Route FCU to an approved shop for inspection and functional test.
(k) Once the FCU installed (original unit or replacement), disconnect fuel tube at inlet of flow divider and flush fuel system per a wet motoring run.
(l) Run engine at 80% TO power for 10 minutes and do acceleration check.
(m) Remove and inspect internal AGB scavenge pump inlet screen, oil filter, and chip detector(s). If anything abnormal is found refer to applicable EMM.
(n) Check for evidence of fuel and oil leaks at propeller shaft seal, accessory mounting pads, external tubes and hoses.
(o) If further storage is required, preserve depending on the expected period of inactivity per applicable EMM.
(p) After return to service, repeat inspection of oil filter and chip detector(s) after 10 and 50 hours. If anything abnormal is found, refer to applicable EMM otherwise return to standard periodic interval.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2022, 18:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3625
Company: AssuredPartners Aerospace Phx.
Aircraft: IAR823, LrJet, 240Z
I mean, it could also just be 100% fine and never a hiccup.
Or have the same exact issues it had 4+ years ago like they all do.

I'm fairly certain there is nothing "light" about an exploratory o/h. They'll find all sorts of parts that won't be in limits (not related to sitting), or would be out of limits by the next overhaul so they get a red tag (and were probably in this same condition more than 4 years ago).

I'd guess a Light Overhaul is a couple hundred per motor?
The logbook entry just says Overhaul right?

C: 602-628-2701

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next