Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Blue Origin
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 14:11 

Post Likes: +19637
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
Now it's a "Journey".

[youtube]https://youtu.be/mQxImR01pg8[/youtube]

It's not a 10 minute carnival ride. It's a Journey.

Respect the journey. ;)

Post subject: Re: Blue Origin
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 17:06 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5767
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
It's less inspiring to see "Light this candle" as marketing gimmick like it's a corporate pep rally than it was to hear it come out of Alan Shepard's mouth.

Last edited on 02 Apr 2022, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 18:57 

Post Likes: +19637
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
Username Protected wrote:
It's less inspiring to see "Light this candle" as marketing gimmick like it's a a corporate pep rally than it was to hear it come out of Alan Shepard's mouth.

Yeah, it’s become cliché. In fact you don’t really need to say anything, although I did enjoy Rook’s “Punch it SpaceX!”

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 21:01 

Post Likes: +378
Aircraft: Premier 1A
There used to be a tremendous sense of National Pride in regard to our Space Program. It was an amazing unifier within our Country. NASA meant so much to every single American and every time there was a launch it captured the heart, spirit and imagination of absolutely everyone. We have lost all of that. As Eric put it and absolutely right on the money imo,”marketing gimmick” and “corporate pep rallies” is exactly what our Space Program has devolved into. It doesn’t represent the United States of America. It doesn’t stand for what we as a Nation value. It looks like Weapons Grade Propaganda that North Korea would produce for Kim Jong Un. It’s pathetic. It’s UN-American and most of all, not representative of who we are as a Nation.

I don’t have words for how stupid this makes us look. Privatizing the Space Program for the personal benefit of people like Jeff Bezos, Richard Branson and Elon Musk is a direct slap in the face to the service of Alan Shepard, John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins and the entirety of our Nation’s amazing Astronauts.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 21:08 

Post Likes: +780
Aircraft: C182R
The price per launch of SpaceX vs NASA suggests that privatization is doing pretty well.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 21:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5767
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
I honestly don’t begrudge anyone the opportunity to fly to space, even as a tourist. I’d do it I a second if I had the resources.

What I do object to is trying to sell it as if this is anything but a really expensive theme park ride. This isn’t the next frontier, this is the slingshot ride that costs extra at the amusement park.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 21:40 

I honestly don’t begrudge anyone the opportunity to fly to space, even as a tourist. I’d do it I a second if I had the resources.

What I do object to is trying to sell it as if this is anything but a really expensive theme park ride. This isn’t the next frontier, this is the slingshot ride that costs extra at the amusement park.

Yea I completely agree Eric. I don’t oppose people going to space either and I think it’s a once in lifetime opportunity and absolutely amazing too. I just really don’t like the image that these companies are projecting in doing it. Coupled with zero sense of National Pride or a sense that we’re are all involved and piece of it. The Gemini Program, Apollo 11, the Shuttle Era all represented the United States of America together. It was something that every American had a stake in. What we’re seeing today is just Emperor with no clothes kind of stuff. Arrogance, narcissism and greed all rolled into one on the biggest national stage one could dream of. That’s what I don’t like and will never approve of.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 21:50 

Post Likes: +592
Aircraft: RV-6 & RV-10

I don’t have words for how stupid this makes us look. Privatizing the Space Program for the personal benefit of people like Jeff Bezos, Richard Branson and Elon Musk is a direct slap in the face to the service of Alan Shepard, John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins and the entirety of our Nation’s amazing Astronauts.

I think it makes us look smart. Who else has the entrepreneurs to develop private man carrying rockets? I'm proud of that, not ashamed.

I could argue that it is wasteful. But stupid? Naah.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 21:55 

Post Likes: +5229
Aircraft: V35A TC
It’s a rich man’s ride. No astronauts on board.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 21:58 

Post Likes: +3718
Company: Flagstaff-Williams Dev. LLC
Aircraft: 1965 310J
It’s a rich man’s ride. No astronauts on board.

"Spam in the can"*. Nobody is flying it.

* from the Mercury Mission development.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 22:21 

I think it makes us look smart. Who else has the entrepreneurs to develop private man carrying rockets? I'm proud of that, not ashamed.

I could argue that it is wasteful. But stupid? Naah.

Kyle I would contend that being smart is not allowing the top tenth of the 1% to not pay their taxes. Tax evasion is not Entrepreneurship. It’s theft. Not to mention allowing the likes of Amazon to steal intellectual property and use said property to drive the original and rightful owner of the property out of business. It’s pretty easy to get the money for your own private space program when you’re breaking every law imaginable to fund it:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-com ... 1608235127

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/09/top-one ... mates.html

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2022, 00:32 

Space Flight is by far and away the most heroic, honorable and unobtainable goal that mankind has ever pursued. It is with that lens that we must view and measure all those who endeavor the challenge. How you treat other human beings is paramount to even begin to be considered for such a colossal responsibility.

How you treat people matters. Greatly. Doing the right thing matters. Greatly. Being a compassionate, Intelligent and empathetic leader matters. Greatly. These are basic core and fundamental tenets of leadership of which Men like Neil Armstrong, Roger Chaffee, Jim Lovell, Rick Husband, Ellison Onizuka and so many others have represented. That’s the bar gentleman and It’s set high for a reason.

Anyone who treats their employees as referenced and cited below has absolutely zero business being commended for anything- much less implementation of space flight as described by Jeff Bezos, in his own words:

https://fortune.com/2021/07/20/jeff-bez ... l-of-this/

https://news.yahoo.com/mom-told-jeff-be ... 58526.html

https://mashable.com/article/amazon-wor ... -warehouse

https://www.theverge.com/22836393/amazo ... s-disaster

https://perfectunion.us/amazon-worker-died/

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2022, 12:51 

Post Likes: +3805
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Anyone who treats their employees as referenced and cited below has absolutely zero business being commended for anything

The beauty of living in the US is that if you don’t like the way someone is doing something, you are welcome to go off and do it yourself in whatever way you deem is “the right way”.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2022, 13:07 

Post Likes: +1099
Anyone who treats their employees as referenced and cited below has absolutely zero business being commended for anything

The beauty of living in the US is that if you don’t like the way someone is doing something, you are welcome to go off and do it yourself in whatever way you deem is “the right way”.

But where is the smug self congratulatory satisfaction in that? Crybabies gotta cry.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2022, 14:04 

But where is the smug self congratulatory satisfaction in that? Crybabies gotta cry.

I encourage you to read the articles that I cited Bruce. I don’t approve of any Corporation, Individual or Entity that chooses to break laws, violate ethical standards or any other means deemed not right by societal norms to make money. Jeff Bezos and Amazon embody just about everything one could think of that’s wrong in big business today. It’s almost cartoonish. Obviously Amazon is not alone here. That said, If you actually take the time to read the articles, I think you’ll see my point.

Oh and for the record- not smug or a crybaby. Self Congratulatory you ask? Absolutely! But only when scoring big wins mowing the lawn. Well that and fishing. I’ll let you know all about the big wins there as well! Speaking of which- summer’s coming and you should probably clear some time on your schedule to get out on the Big Lake with us chasing Kings. I’ll send you some info on it and we can see who the crybabies are! Lol

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next