Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Cessna 340 Tail Cone Alternative
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 18:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +344
Company: Aviation Fabricators
The OEM 340 tail cone was made of ABS plastic which, over the years, has became very brittle and even more difficult to repair. Avfab’s STC approved fiberglass Cessna 340 Tail Cone Stinger is built to provide customers with a robust and economical replacement option.

Our tail cone also incorporates two inspection panels in the lower portion of the ventral fin, thereby eliminating the need for removal at each inspection.

Replaces 5393001-1, 5312032-3, & 5331001-29

Contact Chuck Koch for questions or a no hassle quote...
chuck@avfab.com or 660.885.8317

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: Cessna 340 Tail Cone Alternative
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 21:01 

Post Likes: +2544
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
I had to install one the other day that looked just like that, so I assume it was that brand. It was the biggest pain in the ass that I've seen. There is no physical way to install it without scratching it. It took two of us to install and still took us over 30 minutes to get it in place. The previous shop obviously also had problems with it as it had touchup paint all over it.

I will say that it is very well built.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 22:24 

Post Likes: +89
Aircraft: Cessna 340A; C172
Jason,

Did you pull the left elevator to install it? Trying to remove or install one of those without damage ( scratches ) is almost impossible unless you do. Even if you split the elevator…

The Avfab replacement is nice but very expensive. I’m sure they have a lot of money invested in tooling and certification, however.

Jeff,

Why did you decide not to split the tailcone like Cessna did for late production models?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 22:41 

Username Protected wrote:
Jason,

Did you pull the left elevator to install it? Trying to remove or install one of those without damage ( scratches ) is almost impossible unless you do. Even if you split the elevator…

Why would you want to pull an elevator to R&R this? It has to be removed at an annual/100 hour inspection. It would be a bigger PITA the remove an elevator just to remove this.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2022, 04:01 

Post Likes: +2225
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Jason,

Why would you want to pull an elevator to R&R this? It has to be removed at an annual/100 hour inspection. It would be a bigger PITA the remove an elevator just to remove this.

Even with the inspection plates?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2022, 07:53 

Post Likes: +89
Aircraft: Cessna 340A; C172

When removing the tailcone, the problem is caused by the inside elevator tips angling outward toward the centerline of the tailcone - the tailcone is captured by the "V" from the elevator tips. As you slide the tailcone back it becomes wedged in between the elevators. I have been able to get the tailcone off by splitting ( disconnecting ) the elevator at the elevator bellcrank, pushing one elevator half up and the other down then carefully working the tailcone to remove it.

But the easiest and safest way is to remove the pilot's side elevator. It doesn't take very long to R&R.

As far as an annual inspection, you can perform the required inspections without removing the tailcone. For the SIDs or one of the advanced inspections you do have to remove it.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2022, 08:30 

In our case, I didn't do the inspection and I don't remember what was under the cover. I walked by it 200 times, I just didn't pay attention until we went to install the cover. I believe you would have a difficult time seeing the rudder bellcrank assembly, but again I didn't pay much attention to the placement of the small inspection panels. I pulled one off to double check something but only noticed the elevator fittings visible in the access panel.

In our case, we had to remove it to install LED strobe lights.

They are a very nice, well built tailcone, just a PITA the install. If I have to remove an elevator to remove an inspection cover, no matter how easy is it, something was designed wrong.

If I'm in that hangar this week I'll take a look in the inspection panel.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 00:48 

Post Likes: +1993
Aircraft: Cessna 340A
We put on the AvFab tailcone on my plane this year. We did not see a way to install without removing the elevator, and that is what AvFab told us to do when I asked. We removed the right side elevator only. The fit was a bit tricky, requiring quite a bit of trimming. Glad I chose to add an LED tail strobe at the same time, so we shouldn't need to pull it again.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 03:57 

Post Likes: +2225
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
We put on the AvFab tailcone on my plane this year. We did not see a way to install without removing the elevator, and that is what AvFab told us to do when I asked. We removed the right side elevator only. The fit was a bit tricky, requiring quite a bit of trimming. Glad I chose to add an LED tail strobe at the same time, so we shouldn't need to pull it again.

Was this because the previous tailcone was damaged, or because there are advantages to the new one?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 10:51 

Was this because the previous tailcone was damaged, or because there are advantages to the new one?

Before I had the plane, the previous tailcone had a hangar rash event, which was evident with cracks & ripples on the lower fin. The repairs, which appeared to have been with drywall tape and epoxy on the inside, were coming apart. We re-repaired it last year but it was tricky getting it reinstalled without interfering with the rudder bellcrank. I thought the AvFab cone would be a nice upgrade to get rid of the part with the old damage. Installation was more of a feat than I expected and the fit is not perfect. If you need to replace the tailcone, I'd rather get the AvFab part than buy a 45 year old plastic part from salvage, but I would not recommend replacing a serviceable part. The main operational advantage I know of is that it is advertised that you do not need to remove the cone to do inspections due to the side access ports. Being fiberglass instead of plastic may be a durability advantage.

Reading the service manual for the 340, the original planes had a one-piece tailcone like the AvFab part. Later planes (like mine) had a two piece clamshell cone with top and bottom pieces, allowing removal without pulling off half the elevator.

I don't have photos to describe what I mean by imperfect fit, but I'll try to describe it. They are not things you would casually notice, and likely differ from aircraft to aircraft, cone to cone.
1. We were not able to get the aftmost part to be the same length as the rudder while still leaving enough space for the mounting holes on the forward edge. So the back of the stinger is shy of the back of the rudder by a small amount (maybe 1/2 an inch). It would have been nice if the AvFab mold were slightly longer.
2. The flat part at the rear for mounting the strobe is very slightly canted laterally. It's enough to see if you are looking up at it from below and you are told it's off, but you aren't going to notice it just walking around the plane. If the shop forced this surface to be flat in the lateral plane, the rest of the fit would have been off, with the fin not staying in line with neutral rudder.
3. There wasn't enough material to reach one of the mounting nut plates on the top right side on my airplane. The installing shop fashioned an extension to be able to secure the cone at the top to the last corner point.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 11:22 

Jeff,

Why did you decide not to split the tailcone like Cessna did for late production models?

AvFab did not do the initial design and approval for this part, it was purchased or inherited from another company. I don't think a 2 part answer would have been particularly compatible with the construction technique on this part. There are some internal "bulkheads" which you can see on the end view that would have had to have been split, along with another set of screws & nutplates added. As it is, it is the same weight as the original.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2022, 10:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +40
Company: AvFab
Aircraft: King Air C90
Jeff,

AvFab did not do the initial design and approval for this part, it was purchased or inherited from another company. I don't think a 2 part answer would have been particularly compatible with the construction technique on this part. There are some internal "bulkheads" which you can see on the end view that would have had to have been split, along with another set of screws & nutplates added. As it is, it is the same weight as the original.

This is the other Jeff at AvFab (Jeff Lowe). You are correct, we did acquire the design from another company. Their intent with the one-piece design was to eliminate having to remove the tailcone for inspections, but instead use inspection plates, to have the best of both worlds.
This has been an interesting thread to read, and certainly the input is valued. When we acquired the design, we did so because the factory tailcones were over $9,000, and were quickly reaching the life-limit for an ABS material. We're interior people, but with our composites manufacturing experience, knew it would be an easy shift to build one composite exterior part where there was a real need...and provide it at less than half the cost of a new replacement from Cessna. The last time I am aware of that Cessna listed a list price for their tailcone it was $15,472 back in 2014. If they've issued a list price or sold one since then, I'm not aware of it. Our list price is 60% off of their 2014 price, and we give an additional discount to installation facilities. I feel your pain; it's still not an easy pill to swallow, but we hope it's a nice alternative to support the fleet with a PMA replacement product that should outlive any of us.
Thanks to all for the comments, btw...good and not so good. We value feedback!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2022, 06:03 

Post Likes: +587
Aircraft: Seabee Aerostar 700
FYI on materials. the ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene,) that is used on lots of original equipment parts is very good tough stuff the first 10 years you own it. but as it ages it get brittle. So replacing it with fiberglass, especially if it uses the right resin, (one of the epoxy's) makes a much tougher longer lasting part.

Un fortunately "Plastic" comes in a huge number of varieties and Cheap and easy to manufacture is usually not the toughest, strongest, part. what exact material it is and what manufacturer and grade makes a huge difference., there are plastics out there that are stronger and tougher than most metals but they aren't cheap

As an example, I have an old ABS canoe that was incredibly tough hitting rocks etc on the rapids the first 10 years. now it is strictly a flat water canoe as any time I get near a rock it cracks. it is easy to fix by using ABS pipe glue from the hardware store and a strip of new ABS from McMaster but it looks ugly and takes a little care to get a good repair.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2022, 18:29 

I hope my comments didn't come across as too negative. I really appreciate that companies like AvFab choose to support our 40+ year old airplanes with PMA parts. If you need a new tailcone, the AvFab is a much better choice than a plastic part from Cessna, or a questionable part from salvage with its own fit issues.

I grabbed a couple pictures at the hangar today to illustrate the minor things we ran across during installation. First, the big picture, tailcone mounted. It attaches along the front edge and the inspection ports discussed above are on either side, below the horizontal stabilizer.
Attachment:
C57F8FD7-FF68-49DD-9BC9-1A91EC193FD4.jpeg

Could have used a little bit more length for my plane. Angling it up slightly to close the vertical gap would have pulled it away from the front mounting locations, and you really need some space to avoid rubbing against the rudder. As the rudder moves to the stops, the forward edge can get close to the tailcone (an issue with my previous factory cone).
Attachment:
DE1080D9-CFC5-4FE2-A0E4-EC558C0569AC.jpeg

The flat surface where the strobe mounts is just slightly canted to port, maybe 1 or 2 degrees, if you can even see it in the picture. Really need to be looking closely to even tell.
Attachment:
2A68A7DF-2A0D-45BE-B818-23CBF7FBB047.jpeg

This is the top left 3 mounting screws on my plane (no issue on this side).
Attachment:
1FD860CF-74C5-4F5A-B439-8D14E8C4CE92.jpeg

On the top right side, could have used some more material. Shop glued or riveted an extension to reach that last screw.
Attachment:
743245C3-678F-4E72-9715-237ED95006AE.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 14:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +344
Company: Aviation Fabricators
Another AvFab 42-0322 Cessna 340 tail cone installed.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next