banner

28 Mar 2024, 11:52 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Goodyear Tires Shortage
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 12:52 

Aircraft: C90 B200 550 650 L45
Does anyone have any insight on when Goodyear corporate jet tire shortages maybe ending?

Post subject: Re: Goodyear Tires Shortage
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 12:58 

Post Likes: +22857
Aircraft: A33
saying there is a shortage of goodyear tires is a bit like a used car shopper noting there is a shortage of amc gremlins on the market.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 14:19 

Post Likes: +1896
Company: Corporate Air Technology
Aircraft: Pa28-235
Agreed that Goodyear tires are not what they used to be but on some aircraft models there may not be other choices. The shortage is not limited to Goodyear there are several sizes not available from any vendor.

Just changed four tires on and Gulfstream G100, no stock on tires anywhere, wound up procuring four built up wheel assemblies from Gulfstream as they were the only option. Overnight freight from multiple locations plus price of exchange wheel assemblies and labor
made this an eye watering number.

As noted on this forum elsewhere there are multiple issues here. Many aircraft tires are made in Thailand and shipping and delivery are issues. Goodyear I am told sent employees home during pandemic and they are struggling to get them back. In addition a major component of tire production is carbon black to give tires better wear resistance. I have heard that the only source of this these days is China and they are not shipping this product.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 18:44 

Post Likes: +437
Aircraft: D95A, Long EZ
I would suggest checking with Wilkerson Aircraft Tires.
https://www.wilkersonaircrafttires.com/
We switched years ago, and found that we get longer life on of the recaps then original tires made by either Goodyear or Michelin.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 19:03 

Post Likes: +10534
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Username Protected wrote:
We switched years ago, and found that we get longer life on of the recaps then original tires made by either Goodyear or Michelin.

Is there any way to view their pricing on retreads for my Baron? I followed your link to their website but all I could find was marketing hype.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 19:27 

Post Likes: +3908
Aircraft: Warbirds

Is there any way to view their pricing on retreads for my Baron? I followed your link to their website but all I could find was marketing hype.

They are good folks and a phone call will get you answers.
They recently had a fire and I've heard they are getting back on top of things

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 20:01 

They are good folks and a phone call will get you answers.
They recently had a fire and I've heard they are getting back on top of things[/quote]
I've had good luck with Desser retreads in the past, if Wilkerson is as good for less money I'd like to try them.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 22:58 

Post Likes: +634
All tire manufacturers are suffering from two things- can't get raw materials to the plants, and, or, the plants are short staffed due to covid closures.

So the Goodyear plant in Akron Ohio can't get the raw materials into the country, and the Goodyear tires coming from Brazil or Thailand can't get off the ships and into the country.

But, this disaster exposes the shortcomings of the global, just-in-time manufacturing systems that started in the 1980's. Maybe it's past time to make everything we need here, and export excess goods to earn extra income, like we did up until the globalization craze of the 1980's?

Forget tires, we can't even get many medications domestically anymore.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 23:59 

Post Likes: +269
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
I use Wilkerson as well and the tires have served very well, better than new tires. I’ve also been keeping my old cases just in case they start to run low. You can either buy re-treads from them directly or send them you old cases and have them re-tread yours.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 02:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23612
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Does anyone have any insight on when Goodyear corporate jet tire shortages maybe ending?

I don't know. It is becoming very serious now.

Some aircraft types have no other choice. My Citation V requires Goodyear 220K28-1. I've had a pair on order at Aircraftspruce for almost half a year and the deliver date keeps getting shoved back.

Michelin used to make an equivalent but stopped doing so man years back. Nobody has any stock on these tires. Nearly used up old ones are going for a king's ransom.

Fortunately, my airplane came with pretty much new tires when I bought it, but these things are consumables.

Meanwhile, the nose tire is readily available. I bought a spare just in case anyway.

If one of my tires develops a problem, or when I wear them out, I could be grounded. Sigh.

I hear rumors that Textron has a secret stash of tires for AOG aircraft. One day their web site showed 2 in stock at one service center. I called and tried to buy them, and they said no.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 09:00 

Post Likes: +1234
Aircraft: A36 C560 C551 C550S
I don’t know about other jets, but some Citations seem to wear the inboard side of the main gear tire first. In the past, it was largely considered a waste of money to reverse the tires on the wheels at around mid life due to labor cost and the relatively low price of new tires. This might should be rethought now. I have been able to scrounge two tires for friends that were AOG, but I’m not sure I could find more.
Bottom line: if your tire(s) are showing wear on the inboard rib, reverse it before it gets down to the cord.

Robert T

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 11:09 

I don't know. It is becoming very serious now.

Some aircraft types have no other choice. My Citation V requires Goodyear 220K28-1. I've had a pair on order at Aircraftspruce for almost half a year and the deliver date keeps getting shoved back.

Michelin used to make an equivalent but stopped doing so man years back. Nobody has any stock on these tires. Nearly used up old ones are going for a king's ransom.

Fortunately, my airplane came with pretty much new tires when I bought it, but these things are consumables.

Meanwhile, the nose tire is readily available. I bought a spare just in case anyway.

If one of my tires develops a problem, or when I wear them out, I could be grounded. Sigh.

I hear rumors that Textron has a secret stash of tires for AOG aircraft. One day their web site showed 2 in stock at one service center. I called and tried to buy them, and they said no.

Mike C.

Are re-treads allowed?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 11:58 

Post Likes: +1270
Aircraft: C501SP
I don’t know about other jets, but some Citations seem to wear the inboard side of the main gear tire first. In the past, it was largely considered a waste of money to reverse the tires on the wheels at around mid life due to labor cost and the relatively low price of new tires. This might should be rethought now. I have been able to scrounge two tires for friends that were AOG, but I’m not sure I could find more.
Bottom line: if your tire(s) are showing wear on the inboard rib, reverse it before it gets down to the cord.

This is good advice. My 501SP does wear the inside more. I am watching it and will have my mechanic reverse the tires when the time is right. I already bought new o-rings. Hopefully by the time I have worn both sides there will be supply again.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 12:04 

Post Likes: +4780
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
There is an alignment procedure on the 501s you can do to keep this from happening

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 14:42 

Post Likes: +540
Aircraft: C560, C340
When we got our Ultra the tires wore on the inside. Our shop realigned the mains and they have worn evenly the last 14 years. They still wore the outside edges faster but buying a nitrogen bottle and keeping the tire pressures at the upper limit has slowed that down greatly.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next