Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Goodyear Tires Shortage
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 15:06 

Post Likes: +4525
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless
Not just aircraft tires. Some road debris chewed up one of my tires on my car, and I couldn't get a replacement in any kind of time. Nothing special, just run of the mill Pirellis.

Best,
Rich

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 20:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
Are re-treads allowed?

I think so form what others have said, but I can't find any specific guidance to that effect.

But it doesn't really matter, no retreads to be had, either.

It is pretty bad out there because as soon as the shortage began, people started hoarding which made the shortage worse.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 20:26 

Post Likes: +272
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
The re-treads come with yellow tags. They are legal to use. The airlines use them almost exclusively. Mike, perhaps you could source some worn out tires from a Citation maintenance shop, and then send them to Wilkerson to have them re-capped since time is on your side and your existing tires still have life left in them. It is a full re-vulcanization and the tires look brand new when you get them back. They do test the cases and may reject them, but that is unlikely.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 20:51 

Post Likes: +10744
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
The re-treads come with yellow tags. They are legal to use. The airlines use them almost exclusively. Mike, perhaps you could source some worn out tires from a Citation maintenance shop, and then send them to Wilkerson to have them re-capped since time is on your side and your existing tires still have life left in them. It is a full re-vulcanization and the tires look brand new when you get them back. They do test the cases and may reject them, but that is unlikely.

Another option that might work would be for Mike to send in his tires for recapping during a planned lull in his flying schedule. Both of these ideas would only be viable if Wilkerson can obtain the necessary material to "repair" used tires.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 21:05 

Post Likes: +4797
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66

I called Wilkerson they don’t do citation size tires

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 22:00 

Post Likes: +10744
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

Well, there goes that option.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 02:51 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2
I don’t know about other jets, but some Citations seem to wear the inboard side of the main gear tire first. In the past, it was largely considered a waste of money to reverse the tires on the wheels at around mid life due to labor cost and the relatively low price of new tires. This might should be rethought now. I have been able to scrounge two tires for friends that were AOG, but I’m not sure I could find more.
Bottom line: if your tire(s) are showing wear on the inboard rib, reverse it before it gets down to the cord.

Robert T

Yup. Just did this today.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 02:52 

I don't know. It is becoming very serious now.

Some aircraft types have no other choice. My Citation V requires Goodyear 220K28-1. I've had a pair on order at Aircraftspruce for almost half a year and the deliver date keeps getting shoved back.

Michelin used to make an equivalent but stopped doing so man years back. Nobody has any stock on these tires. Nearly used up old ones are going for a king's ransom.

Fortunately, my airplane came with pretty much new tires when I bought it, but these things are consumables.

Meanwhile, the nose tire is readily available. I bought a spare just in case anyway.

If one of my tires develops a problem, or when I wear them out, I could be grounded. Sigh.

I hear rumors that Textron has a secret stash of tires for AOG aircraft. One day their web site showed 2 in stock at one service center. I called and tried to buy them, and they said no.

Mike C.

Are re-treads allowed?

Yes. Lead time seems to be about 4 weeks tho.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 02:55 

There is an alignment procedure on the 501s you can do to keep this from happening

Where can I find this?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 02:58 

Desser does.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 00:05 

Post Likes: +1897
Company: Corporate Air Technology
Aircraft: Pa28-235
There is an alignment procedure on the 501s you can do to keep this from happening

Where can I find this?

Alignment helps but does not eliminate issue on 500 series airplanes. Rotating tire midlife will be more effective.

Just recycled about two hundred tires, Desser picked them up, they where hesitant to pick up the 22x8.0-10 10 & 12 ply citation tires, they did take them in the end but don’t think they cap the 12 ply tires

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 00:15 

Post Likes: +272
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
I think a lot of aircraft wear MLG tires in this way. My Mitsubishi does and so did my prior two Aerostars. I always flip the tires around when the inner side is about 3/4 worn and then when the "new inner side" is nearly done, the outside is about the same. It is quite easy to flip them in the hangar with a standard floor jack, and manual tire dis-mounting tool and wheel balance tool from Aircraft Spruce. Not sure about the gear legs on Citations, but jacking the Mits is dirt simple.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 02:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
I think a lot of aircraft wear MLG tires in this way. My Mitsubishi does and so did my prior two Aerostars.

MU2 does this because the tire tilts as it moves up and down with the strut so the edges of the tire wear differently.

See how the tires unloaded are tilted in? That means that inside edge will hit pavement first on the landing, leading to more wear on the inside edge.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/HtbDwsNXXkE[/youtube]

Citation has straight legs, it shouldn't wear one side more than the other. If it does, they are out of rig. It doesn't surprise me that many are that way and mechanics can't get it right. You jack the airplane, level it precisely, then check wheel tilt with a level and adjust until it is vertical.

If tire wear is uneven left to right sides, then you are landing with a bank angle predominantly one way. You can swap wheels and tires left right to even this up (which doesn't require dismounting them, a fairly major chore with Citations).

Mike C.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 15:02 

Post Likes: +1296
Aircraft: C501SP
Just recycled about two hundred tires, Desser picked them up, they where hesitant to pick up the 22x8.0-10 10 & 12 ply citation tires, they did take them in the end but don’t think they cap the 12 ply tires

I wonder why they were hesitant? Both of those are listed on their website as a product, but Sold Out.
https://shop.desser.com/22x8.00-10-10-p ... il/326685/
https://shop.desser.com/22x8.00-10-12-p ... il/326687/

My plane is supposed to have 12 ply due to the weight increase STC but it came with 10 ply tires installed. I am not running the plane into the STC weights so I'm not worried about it (plus I can't get tires anyway) but I'm debating what I will replace them with. Other than stiffer landings and increased cost, any downsides to the 12 over the 10?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 15:34 

Post Likes: +1255
Aircraft: A36 C560 C551 C550S
I think a lot of aircraft wear MLG tires in this way. My Mitsubishi does and so did my prior two Aerostars.

MU2 does this because the tire tilts as it moves up and down with the strut so the edges of the tire wear differently.

See how the tires unloaded are tilted in? That means that inside edge will hit pavement first on the landing, leading to more wear on the inside edge.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/HtbDwsNXXkE[/youtube]

Citation has straight legs, it shouldn't wear one side more than the other. If it does, they are out of rig. It doesn't surprise me that many are that way and mechanics can't get it right. You jack the airplane, level it precisely, then check wheel tilt with a level and adjust until it is vertical.

If tire wear is uneven left to right sides, then you are landing with a bank angle predominantly one way. You can swap wheels and tires left right to even this up (which doesn't require dismounting them, a fairly major chore with Citations).

Mike C.

Since the wheel is not reversible, I believe you must turn the tire around on the wheel.

Robert T

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next