banner

25 Apr 2024, 13:23 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Cirrus First Impressions
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 00:54 

Post Likes: +2228
Airplanes are like motorcycles. You need 2 or 3.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 01:05 

Post Likes: +149
Aircraft: A55 President 600
Great XC machines, IMO. The -20 is a dog and good only for training, though really now that I write that I think the new 215hp generation is supposed to be halfway decent but I don't have time in one. On a hot day and some weight in the older -20s you'll find yourself tightening up on shorter strips, especially with obstacles. Terrible climb performance at high DA/weight.

But yeah, air conditioning is great, it's comfortable, good visibility, and about the easiest aircraft to land. They make a big deal out of the training but you almost have to try and screw up in one, IMO. I think having the chute is great.

On one of my earlier flights I went to pick my clearance in the air and realized, Oh sh*t! I'm left handed, so that was awkward. Not so great for southpaws trying to write and fly at the same time. And the price, too high of an acquisition cost for me.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 06:14 

Post Likes: +1170
Company: Contract King Airs Citations
Aircraft: 1972 V35B
Scott, I’d also recommend to take a look at useful load for any model you are considering. Full fuel to go any significant distance will considerably limit how many folks you can take along. Full fuel on many models make it often times a two person aircraft. Bonanzas typically out perform the Cirrus with respect to useful load. But as always, this factor is dependent on your personal typical mission profile.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 08:47 

Post Likes: +28
Aircraft: Formerly 1982 B36TC
Username Protected wrote:
Good write up Scott. It would be helpful to the audience if you mentioned which model(s) of SR's your experience was with. IMO, I don't care much for G1 / G2 SR's as the interior fit / finish and avionics integration is miles apart from the G3+ models. There's also no rudder / aileron interconnect in the G3+ models which makes for very nice hand-flying characteristics as you mentioned.

I think you can make a solid case for a PA46. Pressurization is a game changer for sure. For me, my wife had massive confidence flying in the SR and that was a big decision maker for me. She would not have felt the same level of confidence in a PA46. Go figure...

I'm doing my transition training in a G6 SR20 with Perspective+. The flight school clearly recognizes this is a gateway drug. It would be better for me (and my bank account) if it were instead an Avidyne G3....

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 08:51 

Post Likes: +11416
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
While Cirrus’s design philosophy goes against the grain — they neither “simplicate” nor “add more lightness” — it’s hard to find a more enthusiastic group of airplane owners.

I wouldn’t want to own one alone because of the acquisition and upgrade costs but, if I have a next airplane, it might be a fraction of an SR-22.

There. I said it out loud.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 08:53 

However, older PA46-350s are in the same acquisition price range (and, from data I've seen online, possibly in the same operational cost range), so I'm considering stepping up to pressurization.

I agree with your overall analysis, but not this. No statistical study to refer to but anecdotally the lowest price PA-46 I’ve seen (maybe high $300’s, most in the $400’s) is quite a bit more than the the lowest price SR22 I’ve seen (mid to low $200’s), which means a PA46 that is older than an SR22 is still more expensive. Hangar options are limited too. About the only plane I realistically can see moving up to, but would likely need a partner to do it. In the mean time, loving the Cirrus.

Thanks. Good point. I'm not comparing similarly equipped planes, I'm looking at what I could get for $350-$450 AMU. A G3 Cirrus fits nicely in that range, and an older PA46 will too. The avionics will be vastly different (and cabin pressure!). But from what I can see on Controller, it appears that the engine times are generally comparable.

I'm not certain about recurring costs. I've seen a few spreadsheets published for both aircraft, and their ranges overlap substantially. Any insight BT members have would be much appreciated.

I'm building a hangar at Salado, TX (2TX) which can fit either aircraft.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 09:52 

Post Likes: +3609
Aircraft: Piper M600
With a PA46 you probably want a PA46 specific shop maintaining them. The systems are complex, with some expensive parts. Annuals will typically range from 8-15 AMUS for a piston and that will be similar whether you fly 50 or 200 hrs a year. So fly more hours and hourly costs are lower. But think of a PA46 as a pressurized turbine with a piston engine as opposed as a pressurized piston,and you will better understand why the maintenance is higher. Always told people, if you ignore the ASI and the VSI you and your pax won’t really notice any difference from flying in a Mirage as a same vintage Meridian, M500, M600 or TBM. Just does what those birds do a little slower. But the capability. This is crossing a major named winter storm over the Sierra’s at FL240 in a Mirage in pressurized comfort. It is just a different world with the good and the bad.

Attachment:
ED2FA5E2-1D04-4CCD-9519-C56D95494198.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 10:03 

Post Likes: +41
Aircraft: C510
Pressurization is a beautiful thing.

I've heard the opinion expressed that they don't make a great $200 hamburger plane, which I can't understand. Any reason why a PA-46 wouldn't be fun for a short flight?

Obviously there is a cost component but no reason you can't. I fly the Mustang down to San Diego for lunch on fairly frequent occasion just to see my old SD friends and have some (slightly more than $200) Mexican at Casa Machado.

That said, an SR22 is hard to beat in economy/performance if it fits your mission. If my wife and I still lived in the midwest and did not have kids, I would have kept mine. Moving west which increased our family trips to 1450NM and 2200NM and having two toddlers who won't wear headsets and O2 cannulas is what pushed us into a jet. A pressurized piston PA-46 might be a nice middle ground if you highly value pressurization and cabin comfort for pax. But performance is essentially the same as a turbo Cirrus. I suppose range goes up too which is nice. I think they are both good options in that price range.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 10:17 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Bonanzas typically out perform the Cirrus with respect to useful load. But as always, this factor is dependent on your personal typical mission profile.

Since I did not like the way Bo handles, I never really looked closely at the UL to perform specific missions. Has anyone built a spreadsheet or chart showing typical UL/range comparing the two?

Tim

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 10:50 

Post Likes: +159
I've owned both an Avidyne G3 SR22 (in which I did a new interior and full Avidyne upgrade and got my IR in it), and currently own an M600. Loved the Cirrus, and love the M600. I came very close to pulling the trigger on an M350 but then found a partner and decided to go halves on an M600. But Chuck is correct; other than the ground speed (and I guess the sound at startup!), your pax won't be able to tell the difference between a piston and turbine PA46. Very very comfortable in the back.

We bought our M600 from a guy in Colorado who decided to buy a TBM ... we bumped into them a few months later at Ross Aviation in KSDL and his wife was complaining that the TBM wasn't nearly as comfortable in the back as the PA46 in her opinion. Her husband liked the TBM speed but preferred the M600 simplicity.

In any case, you will love the Cirrus.

Then again, I have a Diamond DA62 on order for late 2022 delivery so don't listen to me, apparently I have "a problem," or so my ex-wives tell me ... but on the other hand, I don't have to listen to them anymore! *laughing*

Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 10:56 

Post Likes: +2761
Company: IBG Business-M&A Advisors
Aircraft: SR22-G2 GTS
Bonanzas typically out perform the Cirrus with respect to useful load. But as always, this factor is dependent on your personal typical mission profile.

Since I did not like the way Bo handles, I never really looked closely at the UL to perform specific missions. Has anyone built a spreadsheet or chart showing typical UL/range comparing the two?

Tim

If someone else wants to compile the data, I’ll contribute mine I setup in FF. The lbs are available payload with my fat butt in the left seat, range and available fuel with 22gal reserves at 165kts and 13.5 gph. Useful on my G2 is 975lbs, pretty typical of that generation fully loaded (A/C, TKS).

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 12:14 

The design of the Cirrus electrical system seems excellent for a glass panel aircraft. It is designed for redundancy, with a simple form automatic load shedding.

I wonder how practical (and costly) it is to retrofit an older aircraft to have a similar level of reliability.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 12:36 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10109
Aircraft: '68 36 (E-19)

Since I did not like the way Bo handles...

Add this to "I did not like the way the Tesla Plaid accelerates" to the list of statements I never thought I'd read. :bugeye: :shrug:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 13:18 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None

Add this to "I did not like the way the Tesla Plaid accelerates" to the list of statements I never thought I'd read. :bugeye: :shrug:

lol. I have flow in multiple Beech products (a few KA, Baron, V-Tail and an A36). All seem to have the same basic handling feel. They all handle like varying sizes of a 1970s station wagon which weighs six tons with super soft suspension so you never feel a bump and a rather forgiving airfoil for pilot mistakes.

Tim

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 19:13 

Post Likes: +41
Aircraft: C510

Well it's been too long since I have flown a Bonanza to opine but I do very much dislike how a Tesla Plaid accelerates! Pointless, unpleasant, one-trick pony experience which I do not care to repeat.

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next