28 Mar 2024, 06:39 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Cheyennes...
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2021, 10:37 

Post Likes: +6500
Aircraft: OPAs
One of the gentlemen I fly for has a Cheyenne IIXL....he sent me to school on it, and I began flying it in May. I hadn't done a long trip on it until this week....but I did a trip out West and back.....

It's an amazingly nice plane. I had a King Air prejudice...but this is a genuine 260 kt airplane. Formerly owned a Navajo, and there are some obvious similarities.

What are the gotchas on a Cheyenne? Why are they not more popular?

Post subject: Re: Cheyennes...
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2021, 11:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +52
Aircraft: BE95, P51, T6, T35
Merry Christmas Stan…..

In my quest for a turboprop, I was advised that parts availability would be the ongoing limiting factor as the Cheyenne Fleet ages….that said, they are definitely faster than the equivalent King Air.

Another note might be if one ever needed the plane moved by another pilot, finding an available pilot that meets insurance requirements for a King Air is relatively simple.

Go High - Go Fast

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2021, 11:49 

Merry Christmas, Paul...all the best to your family.

I think the "orphan" status of a lot of older planes is a real issue. Did you get the new panel done for your King Air?

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2021, 11:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +52
Aircraft: BE95, P51, T6, T35
Getting closer…..the installation of the panel begins on 1/3/2022…..I’m definitely excited.

I would not discount the Cheyenne at all, just may be worth buying one that’s in the best of the best condition…..Pay Now or Pay Later…….I don’t think that saying discriminates in aviation regardless of Make/Model

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2021, 12:05 

That's going to be a gorgeous panel, Paul

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 08:45 

Post Likes: +265
Aircraft: Piper Cheyenne I
Stan,
I had an Piper Cheyenne I that I recently sold. Great aircraft. Easy to fly, 240+ktas all day long. The PAY1T1 has 500shp engines. For me the weak points of the Cheyenne are:
-The retiring work force of Cheyenne-knowledgeable mechanics.
-Parts are obtainable but likely overhauled is the best you will get for airframe stuff.
-The A/C system in the 1981 PAY1T1 has many weak points.

All in all however, my plane was a true airline substitute all weather plane. I thoroughly enjoyed my plane and was sad to sell it.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 10:50 

Post Likes: +138
Aircraft: Cheyenne II, BE-55
I had no way of knowing that it would work out this way, so claim no big smarts in the decision to buy, but my eight years of owning a Cheyenne II have turned out to be a scalping in my favor of the cost/benefit of owning a twin turboprop. On the cost side: low acquistition cost, no required costly periodic overhauls of major airframe components, no problems finding parts, my FBO owned the aircraft when new, then maintained during my seller’s 15 years of ownership so knows it extremely well, hot sections came in for considerably less than expected, part 91 option to run past TBO. Engines have been faultless. The G600/GTN750/KFC 300 AP/FD avionics suite has been reliable and maintenance free. Put a new paint job on her and new carpet and sidewalls.
On the benefit side: 255 ktas, 1200 nm range, 1200 lb. payload, good pressurization, once in it a comfortable pilot seat for my 6’4” height, good runway numbers, handles ice and crosswinds well. I like the rear cabin, aisle, potty, bar, luggage compartment. With its long tapered nose, sloped windshield, and other general proportions and lines, it is a really good looking aircraft to my eyes.
I’ve been happy with what I pay for what I get with the Cheyenne.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 11:21 

Post Likes: +12331
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,
The local fbo operated a -I -IIXL -III & -IIIA

I owned the -III for about 3 years. The avionics just about killed me. The rest was rely not a problem.

Parts are a bit of a challenge, but never a show stopper.

I don't particularly like how the short bodies land, but the -IIIs are as nice or nicer flying airplane than a King Air. Heresy in this venue I know, but it's the truth.

Sadly all the Cheyenne's except the -I have moved on, a d interestingly enough, they all went to Brazil.

The big draw back to the -I is athe janitrol heater. Sooner or later you will have a cold flight. But it is by far the best bang for buck in an entry level turbo-prop.

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 15:03 

Post Likes: +130
Aircraft: MU-2F
Username Protected wrote:
The local fbo operated a -I -IIXL -III & -IIIA

I owned the -III for about 3 years. The avionics just about killed me. The rest was rely not a problem.

Parts are a bit of a challenge, but never a show stopper.

I don't particularly like how the short bodies land, but the -IIIs are as nice or nicer flying airplane than a King Air. Heresy in this venue I know, but it's the truth.

Sadly all the Cheyenne's except the -I have moved on, a d interestingly enough, they all went to Brazil.

The big draw back to the -I is athe janitrol heater. Sooner or later you will have a cold flight. But it is by far the best bang for buck in an entry level turbo-prop.

Guess you don't consider the F model MU2 to be entry level :D Thanks! Even an F model MU2 will be faster than a Cheyenne I on less fuel. No Janitrol heater so no cold flights either. Can't say for certain, but I have the plane I do because I felt it would be the least expensive twin turboprop to operate. Nothing against the Cheyenne, but why go slower on more fuel for more money? Another big plus is factory support for the MU2 is still available, Mitsubishi owns the service center in Tulsa and those folks have been most helpful for the few times I have had questions.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 11:00 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501
For those that are interested...a Reddit member spent the better part of 2 years and an absolutely unholy amount of money building his version of a perfect Cheyenne.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comment ... oject_log/

Sublime attention to detail.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 12:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3662
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
For those that are interested...a Reddit member spent the better part of 2 years and an absolutely unholy amount of money building his version of a perfect Cheyenne.

Surely he can find someone to trade that GTX345 for a GTX345R

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 13:40 

Post Likes: +138
Aircraft: Cheyenne II, BE-55

He killed the refurbishing work. Love the paint job, five blade look, indirect lighting in the cabin, and the cabinetry holding the liquor decanters.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2021, 16:42 

Post Likes: +15
Aircraft: Piper Cheyenne IIXL

Very nicely done. That's a good looking airplane!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2021, 17:13 

Post Likes: +15
Aircraft: Piper Cheyenne IIXL
Cheyenne driver here. I've owned and operated a Cheyenne IIXL for a while now and it's been a great airplane. Did the Blackhawk -135A's on it 5 years ago and added the MT propellers 2 years ago. It's been a reliable and consistent performer and it turns in 265 - 270 knot cruise numbers between FL180 and FL240 depending on weight and temp. Full fuel still allows me to carry 6 adults and bags. The IIXL is unique in the smaller Cheyennes in that it does not have a janitor heater, but utilizes the "air cycle machine" instead. Never had any problems with the heater, but cooling could be more effective on the ground in summer. The XL does have the added 24 inch fuselage "plug" compared to the Cheyenne I's and II's and that does add space inside of the cabin. Passengers comment that it's comfortable and spacious in the back.

I'm fortunate that I have a good maintenance shop here in the Los Angeles area and parts have not been a problem. Considering doing paint and interior soon. Utilizing a Garmin 530W and 430W and that's good for now, but the newer stuff does look cool. KFC300 autopilot has been reliable but the GFC 600 digital autopilot would be nice!

The IIXL is predictable and straight forward to fly, no surprises. It's also a stable IFR platform. I like mine! Understand finding nice examples is probably getting more difficult though.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 21:26 

Post Likes: +64
Company: Pacific Integrated Handling
Aircraft: Cheyenne IIXL 135A
I like my Cheyenne IIXL Blackhawk. Great utility at an affordable price.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next