banner
banner

25 Apr 2024, 17:20 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: James Web Telescope
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 11:32 

Post Likes: +19723
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
I haven't tried to calculate the physical forces of any of it, that'd take too long and hurt my brain, but just thinking intuitively, it would seem that one answer would be to make the station orbit at a velocity higher than necessary to remain at that altitude. The tether would provide the angular momentum necessary to maintain orbit and the tangential moment of inertia of the station would maintain tension on the tether. That would require a sufficiently (impossibly?) strong tether, and enough energy to maintain the station at its excessive speed.

Little issues like weather can be addressed by the impossible materials of the tether. Interfering spacecraft would be an interesting challenge to map out since the tether would go through all of the Low Earth Orbital altitudes.

Transit time sounds like a relatively minor consideration after you solve the other issues.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 11:48 

Post Likes: +1996
Aircraft: Cessna 340A
Username Protected wrote:
Interfering spacecraft would be an interesting challenge to map out since the tether would go through all of the Low Earth Orbital altitudes.

We'll just have the FCC auction off the allowed orbits. Then install a defensive system to destroy any offending satellites.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 14:14 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
I haven't tried to calculate the physical forces of any of it, that'd take too long and hurt my brain, but just thinking intuitively, it would seem that one answer would be to make the station orbit at a velocity higher than necessary to remain at that altitude.

This will help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Need massive counter weight beyond geo sync to keep cable taught.

Failure modes will be spectacular! All you need is one satellite or meteor to hit the cable, and the whole thing flings off into space.

For an alternative, the skyhook:

Massive LEO "tug" satellite drags a hook that picks up high altitude payloads and flings them into space. The tug then adds energy back with some form of propulsion. Wins over a rocket because the mass of the rocket isn't lifted, just the payload, and the tug has no air resistance.

Still hard to build, but WAY easier than an elevator.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 17:06 

Post Likes: +10761
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I haven't tried to calculate the physical forces of any of it, that'd take too long and hurt my brain, but just thinking intuitively, it would seem that one answer would be to make the station orbit at a velocity higher than necessary to remain at that altitude. The tether would provide the angular momentum necessary to maintain orbit and the tangential moment of inertia of the station would maintain tension on the tether. That would require a sufficiently (impossibly?) strong tether, and enough energy to maintain the station at its excessive speed.

Orbital mechanics are anything but intuitive. A higher orbit requires less speed since the gravitational attraction is less.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 10:04 

Orbital mechanics are anything but intuitive. A higher orbit requires less speed since the gravitational attraction is less.

Yes, what I'm saying is that if you fly at a speed that is greater than needed to orbit at a given altitude, you will rise to whatever altitude that speed will support. If instead you tether the object and maintain the speed and altitude, it will try to climb, but can't. The result would be tension on the tether. Sadly, I realize that the result would be an arc and the object likely crashing back to the ground (or burning up trying to do so). Mike's solution of a mass outside the geostationary orbit would have the same tensioning effect without the resultant crash.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2022, 23:46 

Post Likes: +2705
Aircraft: B55 P2
Yes, the orbital station needes to be above normal geosync orbit so you are pulling it constantly toward the earth.

The weight of the cable (if smaller than the orbital mass) makes it more comlicated to work, but possible. If the cable weights more than the station (by some factor?) I think it just fails.

Material strength is insane.

Yes, the lateral force is a big problem (forgot to mention) because you need to add angular momentum to the station. I *think*, (not sure) if the car mass is light. the station can gain angular momentum by lagging behind so the cable is not verticle, I'm not sure if that works for unlimited mass transported, or if you need a (low thrust) engine on the station.

If you imagine an extreme case where the cable leaves the earth almost horizontally, it is decreasing the earth's angular momentum from tension, so increasing the stations. But I'm not sure it all works out.

Other than the impossible materials. The launch cost of putting >20,000 miles of impossible materials in orbit, the need to deal with the many-mile length change from the tides, the difficulty of building climbers that move fast enough to be useful (20,000 miles is a LONG way to travel - these are not at elevator speeds, the weather issues, the meteor issues, the need to dodge low earth orbit satellites, there are the really amazing failure modes to consider, from the warping around the planet to the pretty awesome slignshot possibilities.

Oh and it being an incredibly difficult way to do something we already know how to do.

But sure, if someone wants to fund it, it sounds like fun.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022, 08:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +12100
Company: ? Most always. I like people.
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
So you get the cable and satellite all precisely balanced. Finally after painstaking calculations and precision rotation, having overcome issues of cable weight, strength, atmospheric friction, bla, bla, bla, then some poor fool pushes the elevator button and all H3LL breaks loose!!!

BNice

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022, 11:38 

So you get the cable and satellite all precisely balanced. Finally after painstaking calculations and precision rotation, having overcome issues of cable weight, strength, atmospheric friction, bla, bla, bla, then some poor fool pushes the elevator button and all H3LL breaks loose!!!

Yes, exactly, because now you've introduced a mass that moves along the cable and theoretically adds to the mass of the station, then descends with or without some additional mass from the station.

This is why we don't have space elevators.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2022, 14:43 

Post Likes: +2705
Aircraft: B55 P2
The skyhook must need some sort of power source since / rocket, but that can be low thrust, still needs a lot of energy - need to look at the energy balance vs conventional rocket

Since its imparting a large fraction of orbital velocity, it still needs material strength to weigh that is not a lot less than a space elevator, but it i a lot shorter (still pretty big if the accelerations are modest)

The fundamental problem with all of these is trying to understand why they are better than rockets. A H2/O2 rocket doesn't pollute, fuel cost is not a significant part of launch costs - what is the problem people think they are solving with thousand -kilometer scale structures made out of ultra-high strength materials?

I haven't tried to calculate the physical forces of any of it, that'd take too long and hurt my brain, but just thinking intuitively, it would seem that one answer would be to make the station orbit at a velocity higher than necessary to remain at that altitude.

This will help:

Need massive counter weight beyond geo sync to keep cable taught.

Failure modes will be spectacular! All you need is one satellite or meteor to hit the cable, and the whole thing flings off into space.

For an alternative, the skyhook:

Massive LEO "tug" satellite drags a hook that picks up high altitude payloads and flings them into space. The tug then adds energy back with some form of propulsion. Wins over a rocket because the mass of the rocket isn't lifted, just the payload, and the tug has no air resistance.

Still hard to build, but WAY easier than an elevator.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 10:37 

Post Likes: +1971
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
Interesting article about the cooling process and temperature data. I didn't realize that NASA has a mini-fridge, closed-cycle gaseous-helium cryocooler, for cooling one instrument - MIRI. It was turned on earlier this week. Way over my head but amazing never the less.

https://scitechdaily.com/james-webb-spa ... lling-out/

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 11:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4218
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza
Interesting article about the cooling process and temperature data. I didn't realize that NASA has a mini-fridge, closed-cycle gaseous-helium cryocooler, for cooling one instrument - MIRI. It was turned on earlier this week. Way over my head but amazing never the less.

That's just too cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm not even sorry for the pun. (left click and highlight this apparent gap.... :D )

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 15:44 

Post Likes: +10761
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

Yep. When you have a sensitive IR (i.e. heat) detector it needs to be as cold as possible to work well. Even in deep space it helps to add cooling.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 23:05 

Post Likes: +1996
Aircraft: Cessna 340A

Yep. When you have a sensitive IR (i.e. heat) detector it needs to be as cold as possible to work well. Even in deep space it helps to add cooling.

I remember the first consumer / industrial FLIR IR camera we bought had a helium compressor. It wouldn’t last too long though (1-2 years) before it needed service. I think the newer models must use a thermo-electric cooler.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 23:17 

Post Likes: +3718
Company: Flagstaff-Williams Dev. LLC
Aircraft: 1965 310J

CCD cameras also benefit from cooling the sensor. Also shot noise (thermionic emission) is temperature dependent.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2022, 13:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3552
Aircraft: A36
The telescope has received its first photons. Details at the mission blog.

You can also see a selfie of the primary mirror. It's the first closeup of the telescope since it separated from the launch vehicle.

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next