banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 07:29 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 29  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: James Web Telescope
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 07:34 

Post Likes: +5447
Company: French major
Aircraft: Ejet
Username Protected wrote:
fascinating to me how slow it is going now. only .2 mi/sec (880 mi/hr if I did the math right).
slow for a celestial device.

.2mi/sec relative to?
If you can "time" it just so that you don't need a massive thrust boost to stop it at the right spot and the forces are balanced...Even cooler!

Stupid question: is anyone working on the next space telescope?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 08:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3503
Aircraft: A36
NASA is at work on this: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa ... ace-roman/

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 12:13 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3503
Aircraft: A36
Regarding Webb's velocity: One of experts at the video press conference that celebrated the full deployment said that on its current trajectory, the telescope will "just fall into L2."

Earlier posts at the Webb blog explained that they've always planned to arrive at L2 needing a boost, if necessary, rather pay the much higher cost in fuel of correcting for an overshoot.

Another burn is scheduled, but because the initial launch and en route corrections were so accurate, the telescope will arrive at L2 without burning much more fuel, extending its operating life.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 12:44 

Post Likes: +2678
Aircraft: B55 P2
After that, there will be https://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/luvoir/

Just recommended by the Astro2020 decadal survey - a group that drives a lot of large scale astronomy decisions.

(sadly the X-ray telescope we were working on got killed) (LYNX)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 12:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +469
Company: Johnson's Jewelry Inc.
Aircraft: F33A
Doug,
Thanks so much for posting this. There is hardly anything that excites me more and to think that we may be able to "see" back as far as 14 billion years when the universe was formed. The Hubble telescope revealed so much about our universe, now it is mind blowing to learn what James Web will reveal. One thing for sure there will be a lot of theories and beliefs' debunked. Please keep this post going forever.
Larry

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 16:27 

Post Likes: +1967
Aircraft: Cessna 340A
Regarding Webb's velocity: One of experts at the video press conference that celebrated the full deployment said that on its current trajectory, the telescope will "just fall into L2."

Earlier posts at the Webb blog explained that they've always planned to arrive at L2 needing a boost, if necessary, rather pay the much higher cost in fuel of correcting for an overshoot.

Huh, I had read that the way it was configured, it could only push itself out -- they were going to sit just barely on the near side of L2, with all corrections pushing them outward, but never far enough over the hump so that it starts to fall away. The thrusters are only on the sunward side. Maybe this is not absolute, and they could rotate the craft to give an inward thrust, but they prefer not to. Rotating so that the mirrors were sunward could damage the cold side equipment.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 18:35 

Post Likes: +149
Aircraft: A55 President 600
Admittedly I haven't looked at the details but I assume there will be an orbit about L2 (as opposed to a "hover") and I don't think that it's perfectly stable. That is, I think all the other mass around makes things a little less than ideal and some mild orbital corrections will be required over time. I think you will need at least one small boost to fall into a circular orbit (if that's their goal) just like you would for any insertion.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 21:29 

Post Likes: +4957
This strikes me as something near the pinnacle of human achievement. Anyone who actually has perspective care to commment?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 23:54 

Post Likes: +19425
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
I had read that the way it was configured, it could only push itself out -- they were going to sit just barely on the near side of L2, with all corrections pushing them outward, but never far enough over the hump so that it starts to fall away. The thrusters are only on the sunward side. Maybe this is not absolute, and they could rotate the craft to give an inward thrust, but they prefer not to. Rotating so that the mirrors were sunward could damage the cold side equipment.

This is what I heard too. They can’t perform a braking boost, which is why they are “sneaking up on” L2 with small burns that are just under that is needed. They have no brakes, so they can’t afford to overshoot or they’ll lose the instrument to space.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 01:55 

Post Likes: +2678
Aircraft: B55 P2
JWST is awesome - but there are a surprising number of amazing scientific instruments.

LIGO: can see two weights, 4 kilometers apart move but 1/10,000 of the size of a proton (or one one hundred billionth of the size of a hydrogen atom). Its able to see colliding neutron stars and black holes billions of light years away

The LHC accelerates protons to trillions of volts. Or SLAC where the electrons reach 99.9999% of the speed of light before they make an X-ray laser

BICEP telescope at the south pole is expected to soon see direct evidence of an effect (cosmological inflation ) that happened 1e-32 seconds after the big bang. (I can't think of words to describe such a small number). It works basically by using then entire universe as a gravity wave detector.

(and these are just the very few projects I've personally interacted with in some way - there are many many more). we have spacecraft near the sun, beyond pluto, at Jupiter, and driving around on Mars.

This strikes me as something near the pinnacle of human achievement. Anyone who actually has perspective care to commment?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 09:40 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Truthfully, I'm a little behind on my reading of books on physics and cosmetology,

That's a joke fellows.

My most recent interests have been seeking the similarities of the politics of the pre-civil war years with those of today and the effect of news media in both those times. I found more than you might think and professional political scientist and historians are now getting aboard.

So, now, back to science. To get me more "up to date".

You guys who are more physics and engineering based, what books would you recommend that are not so dry and technical as to cause a severe case of dandruff?

Remember, I'm old and getting senile. :doh:

Jg

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 10:07 

ICQ  Profile

Post Likes: +2391
Aircraft: Bonanza V35

My friend, come to France, we'll have some exceptionally good wine with proper bread, then we'll take a 320kph ride on the TGV, powered by nuclear power plants ;) :bud:

I understand that invitation wasn't addressed to me, but if my wife and I happen to make it to France this spring/summer, I fully intend to take you up on that.

I'll even buy the wine.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 10:18 

The wine is in a cellar already, don't worry about it!
Definitely send me a pm. Can't promise I won't be flying but...

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 11:19 

Post Likes: +2740
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ

No worries, Fabien. Leave the key under the mat and we'll let ourselves in and outl...ha! :peace:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 12:24 

No worries, Fabien. Leave the key under the mat and we'll let ourselves in and outl...ha! :peace:

For every bottle facing one way, there is the same facing the other. Anything on the top shelfs is before 2006.
Of course you don't see the crates with the more mundane wines...Or the champagne ;)

Attachment:
cave.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 29  Next