banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 12:37 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: James Web Telescope
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 02:00 

Post Likes: +10534
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Username Protected wrote:
The first country that makes economic fusion power a thing is going to win biggly.

We have fusion power today. We just call it solar.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 02:09 

Post Likes: +2678
Aircraft: B55 P2
The first country that makes economic fusion power a thing is going to win biggly.

Source reliability is great, and we have good shielding, but the earth orbiting and rotating, along with weather make it pretty inconvenient in winter in a number of places.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 12:17 

Post Likes: +19430
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
JWST is fully unfolded!

The last section of the primary mirror is in place. What a huge relief. I'm still amazed that this origami structure with so many potential points of failure has functioned so flawlessly. It's a tribute to those who designed and built it.

We now have to focus the primary mirror segments and get to L2. Fingers crossed, but the heavy lifting is done.

:woot:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 13:49 

Post Likes: +1539
Aircraft: V35b
This might help. Sounds like the secondary mirror is now good.

Attachment:
A6D923D6-2835-4D62-A11F-BA7A48842118.png

Here's a video of it in testing. With the NASA folks in the picture, you get a much better sense of the size of it.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a ... yVideo.mp4

Wow, that thing is huge. What an amazing accomplishment so far.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 15:59 

Source reliability is great, and we have good shielding, but the earth orbiting and rotating, along with weather make it pretty inconvenient in winter in a number of places.

Plus there are no nuclear waste products to dispose of.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 16:08 

Post Likes: +2423
I was pondering that subject the other day. Given the way printed money is being slung about so recklessly, a really good nuclear waste storage solution doesn’t seem so expensive anymore. I just don’t understand how nuclear power isn’t a solution.

Edit: I just realized this is way off topic. :D

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 16:25 

Post Likes: +5447
Company: French major
Aircraft: Ejet
I was pondering that subject the other day. Given the way printed money is being slung about so recklessly, a really good nuclear waste storage solution doesn’t seem so expensive anymore. I just don’t understand how nuclear power isn’t a solution.

Edit: I just realized this is way off topic. :D

It is, some countries like mine are preponderantly relying on nuclear power plants to provide their electricy, as well as the needs of our neighbours. That's also why electricity is so cheap in France, why we have an actual high-speed train, etc. Not to mention the expertise to build nuclear power plants, or dismantle them (incl. Chernobyl).
We're also building the new generation of EPR, the fusion prototype ITER, working on DEMO (its successor), developing a new underground, VERY long term storage facility (CIGEO).

And we're also reprocessing nuclear fuel from France, Japan, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands in La Hague.

You can't overlook a certain number of requirements before building a plant, starting with an excellent and (hopefully) unstoppable access to water, minimal seismic activity, stable underground layers...
You also need strong government oversight, a complete access to the facilities to inspectors, make sure that the owners/contractors are not cutting corners for "profit"/greed, long term training for good engineers and technicians with an excellent safety-minded/just culture, etc.

Still, the issue of disposing with the high-level, long-halflife radioactive waste is an expensive nightmare.
The amount of issues is astounding: from making sure that it's stored in a relatively stable environment, that there won't be leakages, or water infiltration...
To the questions of how to properly indicate that this place is highly dangerous to any form of life, for the next 100.000 years!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 16:57 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +11836
Company: ? Most always. I like people.
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
Fabian, you there in France have done it right. We had a president, I believe it was Carter, who signed a bill prohibiting the reprocessing of nuclear fuel from our power plants.

The cost to retool would be sizable. We've shot ourselves in the foot. It's my opinion that we need to bandage up and follow France's lead for the future with respect to nuclear power.

BNice

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 17:09 

But as always you need to be careful and plan very long term with these. *
There isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, beware of the man who tries to sell you that... (not that i need to tell you!).
We also did some stupid things, like let the US buy the energy/nuclear branch of Alstom to GE. Very dumb. We're buying it back apparently.

If ITER works, and we scale it accordingly with DEMO, we will be able to reuse some of the waste that we're having to store long term. It won't be as efficient as a fuel source, but it will massively reduce the part of waste with an enormous half life.
Otherwise...nuclear waste storage, for 100.000 years minimum. Unthinkable.

* and with all due respect, it's possibly, like the hi-speed train technology, something that the US could approach differently. Rather than say "USA #1!", maybe buy off the shelf from countries which know what they are doing, negotiate some exchanges of technology (like you do for everything else...), and build from that...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 23:03 

JWST is fully unfolded!

The last section of the primary mirror is in place. What a huge relief. I'm still amazed that this origami structure with so many potential points of failure has functioned so flawlessly. It's a tribute to those who designed and built it.

We now have to focus the primary mirror segments and get to L2. Fingers crossed, but the heavy lifting is done.

Not too much left to go wrong now!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 23:04 

JWST is fully unfolded!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 00:23 

Post Likes: +2740
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
* and with all due respect, it's possibly, like the hi-speed train technology, something that the US could approach differently. Rather than say "USA #1!", maybe buy off the shelf from countries which know what they are doing, negotiate some exchanges of technology (like you do for everything else...), and build from that...

Meanwhile, here in the real world, nothing like you allege actually happens. You should get out more. Most of our boondoggle trains are outsourced from overseas. And they are still overpriced and underused wastes of money. The distances, commuting patterns, and consumer choices don’t make them practical in most places here. And thankfully, we don’t have the option of forcing people to ride trains by banning short haul flights, etc. But that doesn’t stop the utopians from spending our money trying, though - even here in Texas. I regularly must stop at railroad crossings on my daily commute and watch very expensive overseas sourced trains roll by with nobody inside.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 00:24 

Post Likes: +149
Aircraft: A55 President 600

HUSH!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 07:18 

Meanwhile, here in the real world, nothing like you allege actually happens. You should get out more. Most of our boondoggle trains are outsourced from overseas. And they are still overpriced and underused wastes of money. The distances, commuting patterns, and consumer choices don’t make them practical in most places here. And thankfully, we don’t have the option of forcing people to ride trains by banning short haul flights, etc. But that doesn’t stop the utopians from spending our money trying, though - even here in Texas. I regularly must stop at railroad crossings on my daily commute and watch very expensive overseas sourced trains roll by with nobody inside.

Which part of my comment ruffled your feather?
If your trains from overseas are boondoggled, perhaps next time buy the right ones? Not the cheapest slowest ones: the fastest you have is doing 240kph...2/3 of the speed ours are doing. I specifically said hi-speed...

Fair point about the distances.

You should definitely read more about the actual short haul flight banning. 3 flights, in France, which Air France wanted to abandon. This way, no competitor can take it. Funny thing is, we still fly them so long as they serve the hub. Bit of a political stunt. Forcing people... :roll:

As to getting out more in the real world, thank you for the piece of advice! Shall we compare passports?

My friend, come to France, we'll have some exceptionally good wine with proper bread, then we'll take a 320kph ride on the TGV, powered by nuclear power plants ;) :bud:

Last edited on 09 Jan 2022, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 07:27 

Post Likes: +2731
fascinating to me how slow it is going now. only .2 mi/sec (880 mi/hr if I did the math right).
slow for a celestial device.

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next