Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: James Web Telescope
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 09:47 

Post Likes: +17163
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Mike,

Yes. Your statement, "Mankind's perspective on ourselves and the universe is about to change.", as simple as it is, may be the most extraordinary understatement you could make.

:thumbup:

Which leads back to my philosophical quest.

Jg

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 11:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3713
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
About 12 years ago I started spending some time at the Canadian Space Agency test facilities in Ottawa (they rent out their test labs for aerospace environmental testing). Some of the James Webb components were there being tested at the same time, it was very cool.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 12:24 

Post Likes: +769
Aircraft: Bonanza A35
Username Protected wrote:
Around 1600, Galileo said the Earth revolved around the sun and Jupiter had moons.

Sorry, Mike, I have to nit pick this one item from your otherwise great post.

Galileo was just repeating what Copernicus said some 50 years earlier (although I guess Galileo did provide the observational evidence). To be completely fair, Aristarchus of Samos some centuries earlier was the first guy with the idea, but he got even less traction than Copernicus.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 14:13 

Post Likes: +2705
Aircraft: B55 P2
Evidence is all important for it to be science.

Being lucky in believing something to be true doesn't count.

Around 1600, Galileo said the Earth revolved around the sun and Jupiter had moons.

Sorry, Mike, I have to nit pick this one item from your otherwise great post.

Galileo was just repeating what Copernicus said some 50 years earlier (although I guess Galileo did provide the observational evidence). To be completely fair, Aristarchus of Samos some centuries earlier was the first guy with the idea, but he got even less traction than Copernicus.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 17:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4217
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza
Pffffttttttt, those guys, they got it all wrong. According to several of the fairer sex in my HS days, everything revolved around THEM. So, sorry, Copernicus, Galileo, and Ciholas, even, you're just wrong.......

(My sarcastic way to say "subscribed" so I don't lose this thread..... :D )

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 17:09 

Post Likes: +21398
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: In between
It also seems some UFOs are moving in manners that defy physics as we know it. A sign there is much yet to learn.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 17:15 

Post Likes: +159
I'm very excited for what the JWST will bring in terms of expanding our knowledge and showing us just how much more we don't know ... the best part about things like this is that while they do answer many questions, they mostly pose new questions and show us how much the questions we thought we wanted answered aren't really the right questions to ask ...

I follow a lot of astronomy-related content on YouTube and elsewhere and they are all on the edge of their seats about JWST. But it will take a while for results to come in so it won't be instant gratification by any means.

Hold your breath on the launch and the setup!

Cheers

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 17:18 

Post Likes: +2749
Aircraft: B55, PT-17, J3, SNJ
There is a theory that if humans ever figure out how the universe works, the laws of the universe will be instantly replaced with a far more complex and weird new set of laws.

There is another theory that this has already happened multiple times.

I'm old enough to remember when anybody who ascribed the Universe to some all-knowing and random rulemaking entity, an intelligent designer so to speak, was consigned by the experts to the realm of ill-informed and backwards red necks, blue haired traditionalists incapable of grasping the post-modern world, Southern Baptists, or red hat wearing troglodytes.

But the way you characterized neo-expert opinion up there sure sounded mighty sophisticated, Mike.

Count me in!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 18:07 

Post Likes: +10757
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Evidence is all important for it to be science.

Being lucky in believing something to be true doesn't count.

Might have been more serious study than luck. In any case, in the world of theoretical physics there have been uncountable (correct and incorrect) ideas about how things work that were published long before some experimental physicist worked out a way to prove or disprove the theory. IMO that in no way makes the publisher of the original theory unimportant.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 18:42 

Post Likes: +10757
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
There's a lot hanging on this launch. It's been something like twenty years in the making, nine billion dollars, and the science that it is capable of is incredible. I'm very nervous.

There have been developmental issues with it, readiness issues, stacking issues... plus the thing folds up like a piece of origami and has to unfold perfectly in order to work, and at Lagrange 2 it will be much too far away to service or help in any way if it isn't perfect. There are going to be a lot of people holding their breath.

I've wondered why they don't unfold it while it's still in an "easily" reachable orbit and then boost it out to where it's going to live. I assume this was considered and rejected for some reason, perhaps when unfolded the structure can't take the required acceleration?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 19:18 

Post Likes: +4651
Now pushed to 12/25 due to weather

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 20:17 

Post Likes: +1015
Extremely concerned about the ultra sophisticated complexity of this telescope. So many ways for it to fail during deployment.

Surprised to learn only a 10 year life due to limited quantities of maneuvering fuel, no method for replenishment.

I'm hoping for the best. We shall see.

Dan

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 20:21 

Post Likes: +4527
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless
Fingers crossed and knock on wood. This is super exciting and inspiring!

I am totally untrained in matters of astro and particle physics, but I have read most of the books written for the interested layman by the popular writers on the subject. This research is beyond exciting. We are on the cusp of understanding the very creation of matter and time. Together with the history of mankind being tracked by the study of the human genome and DNA, almost every concept that guided the advancement of civilization has been completely rewritten. What the intelligent ones of us know is, it is not magic.

My curiosity is how this knowledge will direct the future of our species when 90% of the world's population still believes in magic. My thoughts are that a true vision of the future would be almost indigestible to the vast majority of people today. Though Hawking spoke a great truth when he said that physics is the new philosophy, I still use the word, philosophy, when engaging the subject of human existence and our future. If anyone knows of a site where such "philosophical" matters are intelligently discussed, I would appreciate your directing me here. Few of those minds exist on a pilot blog even if it were kept within the bounds of TOS.

Jg

Hey JG,

A very, very interesting political sub-topic in "The Expanse" series of books is between the the UN (which governs Earth, the moon and a few other places), the Martian Congressional Republic (which broke away) and the Outer Planets Alliance (OPA, "belters").

The differentiation between Earth and Mars is a very interesting extrapolation of the future with your very topic.

Best,
Rich

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 21:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
I've wondered why they don't unfold it while it's still in an "easily" reachable orbit and then boost it out to where it's going to live. I assume this was considered and rejected for some reason, perhaps when unfolded the structure can't take the required acceleration?

Yes, once the solar panels and heat shield are deployed, the craft can't take the thrust to be moved out of Earth orbit.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 21:28 

Post Likes: +4527
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless

Yes, once the solar panels and heat shield are deployed, the craft can't take the thrust to be moved out of Earth orbit.

Mike C.

Correct. The Webb is going to sit in the L2 spot, and not, techincally, in Earth orbit...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/6cUe4oMk69E[/youtube]

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next