Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Merlin IIIB
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 11:13 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guid ... -06-13.pdf

Above is the wing spar AD. It is estimated 5 man hours for the inspection. I had it done when I purchased and it was a small enough amount that I could not recall it. I asked my mechanic if he had ever heard of the short body needing the repair and he had not.

This is the kind of thing that come about due to being part of the fleet that includes the commercial regional passenger and freight aircraft. Cracks found in some thirty thousand hour metros cause an AD and it gets applied to the executive short body also.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 11:22 

One point Richard, all IIIB aircraft are -10 from the factory spinning a 4 blade prop at max 1591 rpm. It’s the III/IIIA that came with -3 power and get upgraded to -10 but retain the faster spinning 3 blade props.

The four blades have a quieter cabin than the three blades.

Last edited on 15 Dec 2021, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 11:22 

Post Likes: +2555
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Five hours is pretty good. I remember back then it was a project just to inspect. You had to remove the wing cuffs then seems like some of the skin at the forward wing root. Like I said, it's been 20 years, and my memory is fading. I probably had old digital pictures of it back then....

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 11:40 

Post Likes: +2225
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Username Protected wrote:
Elbit systems, which purchased M7 Aerospace, is now the factory support for the series. I have never once needed to contact them. Since the majority of the fleet is in commercial service the aircraft get used hard and issues that arise are noticed. In my ownership there have been some AD’s added, none have been significant enough that I could tell you what the cost or downtime was. I have never waited nor had to look very hard for any parts.

Personally I am happy with my avionics setup. I have factory training in the G1000 NXi/GFC700 system as well actual time with it. It’s nice for sure but not something that I would pay the large sums and downtime for. I have had zero issues with my autopilot and only minor issues with the other avionics. I have G430/530/GMX200 with georeferenced charts.

Who services or makes things like bleed air valves, cabin blowers, door seals, replacement windows, and the autopilot?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 11:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
This is the kind of thing that come about due to being part of the fleet that includes the commercial regional passenger and freight aircraft. Cracks found in some thirty thousand hour metros cause an AD and it gets applied to the executive short body also.

This is both a benefit and a hazard.

Your personal usage, few hours per year, will be swept up in service requirements based on airliner usage. This can get expensive and burdensome.

But you do get things figured out sooner.

The MU2 suffered from this a bit some time ago, but with the new rules, the MU2 isn't being used for freight much any more, so the stimuli for more ADs and SBs has moderated.

If a King Air or 441 got put into similar service, they would fall apart. They just aren't built sturdy enough to deal with the rigors of being a freighter.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 13:15 

If a King Air or 441 got put into similar service, they would fall apart. They just aren't built sturdy enough to deal with the rigors of being a freighter.

Mike C.

I interpret sturdiness to mean heavier, but the 441 (and many other twin cessnas) and probably many King Airs are used in freight applications and haven't fallen apart. I agree Cessnas in general are built lighter than Beech products and definitely the Merlin, although I would say a V is probably built to a higher standard than a B200. How would you compare build quality, which is probably to say build quality perception or feel, between a MU2, V, and King Air? In my own experience, I have never felt the 340 particularly cheap, but the 441 is definitely in a different class, especially the tail.

There are quite a few 441s in Australia in commercial service with over 20,000 hours. The similar 404 is built lighter than the 441 and it is still in service as a freighter in some parts of the world.

Engineering is full of compromises. Is it better to haul around a heavy part that will last 50 years or a lighter one that will last 25? I'm not sure either answer is correct on the face of it.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 13:30 

I've flown a lot of freight in C-402's/C-404's/SA226's and SA227's. We also had a couple 441's at that company, one of which has to be approaching 16,000 hours and is in the air right now.

Like any aircraft, if they are maintained, they will hold up well. If you beat that crap out of them, they will let you down.

The 226/227 is a tank. I flew many 30,000+ hour aircraft and they were still in good mechanical condition when I stepped off the step the last time. Same with the 15-20k hour Twin Cessna's.

There are a significant number of 227's and 1900's flying every day and night in the cargo world. There is no replacement in sight for either of them. From what I understood the 1900 is a nice airplane to fly, but nowhere near as efficient as the 227.

The 441 fleet is getting older unfortunately. I specifically looked for a sub-10,000 hour airplane when I bought one for a customer. We bought the 13th one that I looked at. It had around 6000 hours. I personally would have no issue buying a properly maintained 15,000 441 if I had the need. Same with a 15-30k hour 226/227. Like every fleet, there are good aircraft and crappy aircraft out there. We got a good one.

There is a noticeable difference in the quality of build between the 441 and my 414, even though many parts are shared....

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 13:31 

Elbit systems, which purchased M7 Aerospace, is now the factory support for the series. I have never once needed to contact them. Since the majority of the fleet is in commercial service the aircraft get used hard and issues that arise are noticed. In my ownership there have been some AD’s added, none have been significant enough that I could tell you what the cost or downtime was. I have never waited nor had to look very hard for any parts.

Personally I am happy with my avionics setup. I have factory training in the G1000 NXi/GFC700 system as well actual time with it. It’s nice for sure but not something that I would pay the large sums and downtime for. I have had zero issues with my autopilot and only minor issues with the other avionics. I have G430/530/GMX200 with georeferenced charts.

Who services or makes things like bleed air valves, cabin blowers, door seals, replacement windows, and the autopilot?

IIRC the expensive glass windows are made by PPG and around $11k a piece. That is a big drop from what they were before PPG started making them. Autopilot in mine is the same as the hundreds or thousands of Citations out there, it along with most of the other instruments in the panel would go to Duncan for repair or swap if needed. I bought a door seal from an airline that I though I'd need but never have yet. Can't tell you who does the other items as I've not had to look for them.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 13:56 

IIRC the expensive glass windows are made by PPG and around $11k a piece. That is a big drop from what they were before PPG started making them. Autopilot in mine is the same as the hundreds or thousands of Citations out there, it along with most of the other instruments in the panel would go to Duncan for repair or swap if needed. I bought a door seal from an airline that I though I'd need but never have yet. Can't tell you who does the other items as I've not had to look for them.

Which autopilot do you have? And when you got the door seal, what was that process like in terms of finding where to buy it?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 17:34 

I have the Sperry SPZ500 AFCS (automatic flight control system) which the autopilot is a part of. Many legacy citations used this system also some Solitaire & Marquis model MU2. Some Merlin came with the Collins APS80 which I think is also a solid system.

The door seal, like anything else I've needed, I purchased through my mechanic or contacts at airlines that run Metro's. I see you are in the Denver area. I am pretty sure you have one of the largest local knowledge and support pools with the Metros that have been based there for decades. That is the type of support I tap into along with my regular mechanic.

My defining mission trip was 5000 nm in three legs or two intermediate stops. That basically leaves the Merlin III series, C441 and perhaps the Commander (not sure on the numbers there). Merlin was the cheapest of the three so that is the route I pursued. Nothing against any of the other types but they were at least double the price when I bought so I immersed myself in all aspects of the aircraft then purchased it.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 18:56 

If I could get a heated windshield for my C-414 for $11k, it would be on its way today. A Twin Cessna heated windshield is $25k. A basic plastic one is $6k.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 19:47 

Post Likes: +62
Company: Charwood Partners
Looks like there isn't a compelling reason to NOT look at it, so might as well look. I need to go on a few non-ranch meetings with it just to make sure it is really what I'm looking for. Erwin, i'm gonna PM you my phone number here in a bit. Have time to chat later this week?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 22:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Like any aircraft, if they are maintained, they will hold up well. If you beat that crap out of them, they will let you down.

MU2 and Metros get the crap beat out of them and still work after 30,000 hours.

You don't see 30,000 hour 400 series Cessnas doing the same work.

Quote:
There are a significant number of 227's and 1900's flying every day and night in the cargo world. There is no replacement in sight for either of them.

Sky Courier is the heir apparent for this line of work:

https://cessna.txtav.com/en/turboprop/skycourier

Mike C.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 22:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8929
Company: Schulte Booth, P.C.
Aircraft: 1958 Bonanza 35
Unhelpful observation alert ...

I would wear it as a badge of honor to own an airplane affectionally known as the "screaming weenie."

But that's me.

I guess I am one of the few that loves the sound of Garretts and watching the ramp clear when they wind up.

Robert D. Schulte
http://www.schultebooth.com

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021, 23:03 

Quote:
There are a significant number of 227's and 1900's flying every day and night in the cargo world. There is no replacement in sight for either of them.

Sky Courier is the heir apparent for this line of work:

https://cessna.txtav.com/en/turboprop/skycourier

Mike C.

Not even close. The small feeders are not going to buy a $6m+ airplane to put on a contract that can end in 30 days. The only reason it works for FedEx is they own the airplanes and contract out the management and operation of the small feeders. UPS, DHL, various schedule labs, etc. owns no small feeders, they are all contractors. It ain't gonna happen.... It's not even close to being a competitor to replace the aging fleets...

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next