Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: YouTuber "Malibu Flyer" PA46 is for sale
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2022, 10:42 

Post Likes: +2224
Company: Retired
Aircraft: '76 A36 TAT TN 550
Username Protected wrote:
Then it dawned on me: Since when, honesty & telling the truth has become so uncommon that it now commands awe & respect ? :oops:

I don’t think it is uncommon for a typical person, and I didn’t say anything about awe.

But when large amounts of money (such as an insurance claim for a totaled aircraft) are involved some people tend to cover up details that don’t support their case.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2022, 16:46 

Post Likes: +187
Aircraft: Vans RV-6; Archer II
Based on the character, professionalism, and love for his family he has shown in his videos…none of his response is a surprise. He is clearly a man of integrity. I have made my fair share of mistakes both in aircraft and out. Hopefully, he shares more; and we can all become better pilots and owners from his experience.

I agree completely - seems like a good guy and a good family, which is mainly why I chimed in on the whole “insurance will deny this stupidity” issue. It’s such a Terrible thing to have happen in any circumstance.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 05:41 

Post Likes: +397
Aircraft: Aerostar 600A
I agree completely - seems like a good guy and a good family, which is mainly why I chimed in on the whole “insurance will deny this stupidity” issue. It’s such a Terrible thing to have happen in any circumstance.

That may be, but he clearly does not hold the skills nor the license to safely & legally work on aircraft.

Here's a little exercise for y'all : What would you think of a non-pilot that goes out and flies a plane into the ground, LUCKILY not killing himself or anyone else ?

It's happened, and I never saw any posts like " such a nice guy ... it's such a terrible thing... "

The truth be told, you guys would BURY the non-pilot that would be so stupid and reckless to do such a thing !

So gentlemen, I ask: What's the difference between this Airman's actions and the non-pilot that crashes a plane ?

IMHO, objectively, this person recklessly violated the FARs endangering himself and others in doing so. Period.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 10:26 

Post Likes: +5805
Company: Malco Power Design
Aircraft: 1976 Baron 58

That may be, but he clearly does not hold the skills nor the license to safely & legally work on aircraft.

Here's a little exercise for y'all : What would you think of a non-pilot that goes out and flies a plane into the ground, LUCKILY not killing himself or anyone else ?

It's happened, and I never saw any posts like " such a nice guy ... it's such a terrible thing... "

The truth be told, you guys would BURY the non-pilot that would be so stupid and reckless to do such a thing !

So gentlemen, I ask: What's the difference between this Airman's actions and the non-pilot that crashes a plane ?

IMHO, objectively, this person recklessly violated the FARs endangering himself and others in doing so. Period.

I have no idea what he was doing. It could’ve been totally within his owner maintenance purview. He could’ve been supervised by an A&P. I certainly think that owning the mistake points to integrity so whatever it was we’ll probably eventually find out.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2022, 09:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +784
Company: Wings Insurance
Aircraft: 2016 Cirrus SR22 G5
Thanks Tom. Yeah it is a good thing that our insurance covers us when we Violate a FAR, a reg, the POH or the FAA pilots book of aeronautical knowledge, because that would be most aircraft incidents and accidents. Be a hard sell to a bank as well to insure an asset if the insurance company could back out of protecting them on a whim. I will do my best to keep making my insurance company money, but if I ever do tag them, probably will be for some lapse on my part that will have led to the bent metal.

Very good point Chuck - usually what bites guys in your class of equipment related to filing an insurance claim is FOD - and frankly it oftentimes goes undetected until a hot section or pre-buy when you go to sell. So sometimes the best, safest and most proficient operators out there have to call on their insurance contracts for something that may go undetected during their ownership cycle with the airplane. (I'm knocking on wood as I type this!) :cheers:

E-mail: thauge@wingsinsurance.com

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2022, 04:04 

triple post removed (!)

Last edited on 30 Oct 2022, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2022, 04:04 

double post removed

Last edited on 30 Oct 2022, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2022, 04:05 

Kory Nakatsu, aka Malibu Flyer, posted a new video where he discuss the Malibu incident, its starts @ 7" and finishes @ 14" (link below) .

Turns out the Insurance paid out.

Apparently, there were no actions taken against him by the FAA , despite this being a very clear-cut case in violation of14 CFR § 43.3 "Persons authorized to perform maintenance"

[youtube]https://youtu.be/KmgBBnEDFBs[/youtube]

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2022, 13:56 

Post Likes: +1862
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7
After we do did gear maintenance on the TravelAir or Saratoga we always did a gear swing on jacks. Granted, I was usually assisting our A&P or IA. A little extra experience would have saved this plane, the insurance, and everyone else paying for this stupid mistake. Granted, a little extra experience would have likely ended up in right-sizing his insurance policy. Dad used to say "Son, Stupidity is painful!" In this case stupidity is painfully expensive.

However, I am very glad that Malibu/Cherokee Flyer is willing to share his story so that we all learn from it.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2022, 14:40 

At no point does he come out and say it - he avoids the fact that it is illegal and irresponsible to be working on critical parts of a certified aircraft without a licence or supervision.

I said it before and I'll say it again : He DELIBERATELY violated the FARs and it's just as serious as a non-certified pilot that takes a plane up illegally, whether there is an ensuing accident or not.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2022, 16:23 

Post Likes: +13324
Aircraft: TU-104
At no point does he come out and say it - he avoids the fact that it is illegal and irresponsible to be working on critical parts of a certified aircraft without a licence or supervision.

I said it before and I'll say it again : He DELIBERATELY violated the FARs and it's just as serious as a non-certified pilot that takes a plane up illegally, whether there is an ensuing accident or not.

He said that he "had some work done" and that he was the one who made the mistake. Are you 100% sure this wasn't an owner assisted or AP supervised repair? He may be publicly covering for a mechanic involved who failed to supervise sufficiently.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022, 01:18 

Post Likes: +174
He says it dawned on him that the aircraft wasn’t even airworthy as a result of him doing the work…isn’t that an admission?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022, 03:04 

He says it dawned on him that the aircraft wasn’t even airworthy as a result of him doing the work…isn’t that an admission?

Sounds like the drunk driver who wakes up in the hospital and it "dawns" on him that he attempted to drive home with 0.16 % BAC ...

Whatever.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022, 14:00 

Post Likes: +276
Aircraft: A36
I don’t know this man but I am impressed by his honor and integrity.

After watching the video and gulping at the sizable financial hit he and his family could have taken.
Totally agree with Jim on the above quote.
They still took a financial hit but not 100%. His Mea Culpa in video, seemed very sincere and humble. BIG lesson learned for me, is to keep hull values realistic and up to date. I have kept the hull value up to date but will definitely review regularly now.

Can’t remember but for some reason I thought they planned, before the accident, to step up to a SETP. Sounds like sailing is in their future, hope they enjoy it.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022, 14:24 

Post Likes: +13324
Aircraft: TU-104

It depends on the assumptions you make. Was it unairworthy because he did it wrong, or was it unairworthy because he did it without supervision? He doesn't say one way or another. When he says he had some work done, I assume someone else was involved because that would be a very unusual way to say "I did it all by myself."

So yes it is an admission that he did the work improperly. Is it also an admission that he did it illegally? That isn't clear from his words without bringing in our own prejudices.

I have no idea what really happened, but his wording and the lack of FAA action against him (so far) suggests to me that it is possible that he may not have been him doing the work alone. I want to see a lot more concrete evidence before condemning the man and comparing him to a drunk driver.

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next