Post subject: to overhaul, or not to overhaul, that is the question
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 18:31 

Post Likes: +162
Aircraft: Piper Mirage jetProp
whether 'tis nobler in the market to suffer
the costs and time of a complete turbine overhaul
or to inspect the hot section and repair on condition
and by passing TBO to incur unknown rath

seriously though, without getting into the politics of going beyond TBO how does the market look at an airframe with say 2000 hours left and a small PT6A-34 2000 hours beyond TBO? Is it better marketwise to overhaul with 4000 left on the airframe to get another 4000 TBO, or to do a hot section and repair on condition? To maybe sell after 2000 hours?

An overhaul is 2-300K depending on who, or a PWC zero time for 350. A simplistic view is that the engine beyond TBO wont depreciate much while a newly overhauled engine will depreciate at 300k/4000hrs = $75/hour and the hull insurance will be higher. But life is not simple.

Some of this was discussed for larger engines in the 62 page drifting treatise on inventory levels.

Insights welcome!

Ed

Post subject: Re: to overhaul, or not to overhaul, that is the question
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 18:53 

Post Likes: +3685
Aircraft: H35, T-41B, Aircoupe
Currently you will get near zero value for your engines.
So what would your value be with zero time or purchasing a midtime?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 21:15 

To recast the question a bit, how does the time left on the airframe change the value of an overhaul? I’m not sure you would overhaul with only say 500 left on the airframe, would you?

Ed

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 22:49 

Post Likes: +620
Aircraft: Conquest
I would just do the Hot Section. Pointless to overhaul in your situation.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 23:00 

Post Likes: +2678
Aircraft: B55 P2
If an airplane is airworthy, I think its never worth doing engine work to sell it. I think the potential customer is unlikely to overestimate the cost of doing the work.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 15:36 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: Shopping
Most of those P&W overhaul schedules are not submitted on engine condition but the financial condition of the entity and those engines are loafing in most of these applications. If the TBO was magically doubled would it change the decision?

When i owned the TBM it had a 3,500 TBO but the military version of the exact same aircraft had a TBO of 7,000 hours. The "story" is the military version received better maintenance over its lifetime. I call BS. its a reoccurring revenue number not an engineering number.

When i sold the aircraft no one cared about the hours on the engine as long as the maintenance was completed. Yes it will cost you resale value but the air frame having a hard stop life limit is more a detriment to me than the engine being over TBO. Personally I would not buy any aircraft at 2K hours from a hard stop unless it was really cheap.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 17:48 

Post Likes: +623
Aircraft: C180
jet prop has a hard stop life limit?

I knew a guy once who was buying a new to him plane. his current turbine was near TBO his plan WAS to HSI and fly on but he decided to trade it in.

since in our state parts arent' subject to sales tax he overhauled and captured a huge amount of additional trade in value tax free the then reduced the sales tax on the plane he bought.

Saved a couple tens of thousands in the end he calculated out.

:shrug:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 22:34 

Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2
Username Protected wrote:
To recast the question a bit, how does the time left on the airframe change the value of an overhaul? I’m not sure you would overhaul with only say 500 left on the airframe, would you?

Ed

Your airframe has a life limit?
Would you mind sharing details?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 10:33 

Attachment:
Pa46LifeLimits.png
From the type certificate data sheet, A25SO Sept 2000. May stem from findings or other issues. And may get revisited as the fleet ages.

Ed

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 10:54 

Post Likes: +266
Most of those P&W overhaul schedules are not submitted on engine condition but the financial condition of the entity and those engines are loafing in most of these applications. If the TBO was magically doubled would it change the decision?

When i owned the TBM it had a 3,500 TBO but the military version of the exact same aircraft had a TBO of 7,000 hours. The "story" is the military version received better maintenance over its lifetime. I call BS. its a reoccurring revenue number not an engineering number.

When i sold the aircraft no one cared about the hours on the engine as long as the maintenance was completed. Yes it will cost you resale value but the air frame having a hard stop life limit is more a detriment to me than the engine being over TBO. Personally I would not buy any aircraft at 2K hours from a hard stop unless it was really cheap.

A more likely explanation is that the basis of civil certification (FAR 23, EASA 23) requires life limits whereas the military does not. As the fleet ages,manufacturers often concoct a SLEP, Service Life Extension Program. $$$$$ It definitely is an engineering number on the civil side, but yes, revenue is a factor.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 16:55 

Aircraft: Shopping

A more likely explanation is that the basis of civil certification (FAR 23, EASA 23) requires life limits whereas the military does not. As the fleet ages,manufacturers often concoct a SLEP, Service Life Extension Program. $$$$$ It definitely is an engineering number on the civil side, but yes, revenue is a factor.

Do not think so - Revenue is the prime directive regardless. But i have been doing product development engineering for 30 years so what do i know. Engineering life limits try to keep you out of court, revenue life limits keeps your job in C-suite. B10 life has been around since the beginning, if you want to believe a Pratt PT6 has a B50 life then go ahead. I will still call BS.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]