banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 08:02 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Need some opinions - certified or experimental??
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 12:43 

Post Likes: +2225
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Username Protected wrote:

I agree but maybe a bit less slow would be a P210. There’s always such a thing as too much adventure. FIKI and topping weather makes getting stuck harder, and 182s are surprisingly expensive (maybe because of the above).

P210R in particular are the sorted out 210 versions but hard to find.

I have about 100 hours in N210BH. A pressurized R model will be next to impossible to find. Decent performance, kind of a runway hog, stable in IMC and won’t wind up coming down hill clean. I thought someone had a 550 stc or did I dream that up and maybe not for the P model.

Could be a contender. I will put it on the list. The 182 - I am not paying that much to go that slow. I would buy a Commander 114 or 115 before a 182

They are similar cost to the other aircraft mentioned (or less) and aren’t impossible to find. https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... e-aircraft

Biggest knock is it flys like a truck but so does a 340

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 23:26 

Post Likes: +338
Aircraft: AA1B,PA28,PA18,CE500
Lancair IV-p is basically not reasonably insurable as are most high performance experimentals so if that’s an issue, strike it off the list. ES is insurable.

I was surprised but one of the guys that almost purchased my IV-P had a quote at $6500 full coverage. But there really is no way to get smooth or over 1MM. The gut that fought it plans to use it mostly around Florida and nearby states. Perfect for there. Not so useful in Minnesota 1/2 the year

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 23:46 

Post Likes: +338
Aircraft: AA1B,PA28,PA18,CE500
Concur with Michael Tarver. I also own and regulary fly a LIVP. Insurance is very high and almost no one carries any hull. Most underwriters require transition and annual recurrent training.

One thing not mentioned is your ability and desire to maintain an experimental yourself. The IVP is pretty complex and few shops will know anything about what is aft of the firewall. There is much to inspect and ensure proper operation of back there. Good Air Conditioning is almost a must have for comfort whenever pressurized. Many of these are not turn-key installations (like mine), they are built up from components sold for modifying classic cars.

To me, it is worth all that because I really wanted the performance and went into it with my eyes wide open.

I kind of disagree with this. A plane that can be built in ones garage by a non mechanic and usually turn out safe, maybe ugly, but safe is not complex. The pressurization is dead simple, and so are the other systems. Have you rigged bonanza or twin Cessna landing gear? That’s a Rube Goldberg design.Airframe is super simple very fresh places to find corrosion. But if you don’t need the P I’d look at Brian’s ES. Safer and not all that much slower on most trips people take. The ES is like a Cirrus, but made for a pilot, not an autopilot, joy to fly.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2021, 08:02 

Post Likes: +6510
Aircraft: OPAs

I don't know if Stan has flown the IV-P but I think the SX is even quirkier to fly than the Lancair and much less of them out there. Maybe he can opine?

Mike, I haven't had the opportunity fo fly a IV-P, so I have no opinion/data. I found the SX to have great flying qualities...I really loved flying it. It was fast, efficient, fun...great visibility. I think you had a IV-P....comments?

The downsides for me were:
-limited knowledge base (if you live at Spruce Creek, there is a lot of local knowledge)
-some parts have limited availability (the power pack for the gear/flaps, some of the gear parts)...which is why someone with access and ability to build those parts might well have the ability to overcome that limitation.
-it was small for me (I'm vertically challenged....too short for my weight).
-very small wing, very high wing loading. That made for a *great* ride, but that "old guy" thing in the back of my mind kept saying "what you gonna do if the engine quits?". I flew way too much night/IFR, shot many approaches in it (very stable, great instrument platform). Yeah, I'm becoming more risk-averse. Had too many engine failures/partial failures.

Basically, if you fly it like you would a WWII piston fighter, you will have a good time.

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4