banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 22:19 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Need some opinions - certified or experimental??
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2021, 18:02 

Post Likes: +3686
Aircraft: H35, T-41B, Aircoupe
I am a Duke guy. But for you a continental 550 powered older Malibu sounds right for youl
Long wing does not fit most t hanngars something like this.
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2021, 22:50 

Post Likes: +707
Aircraft: TBM 850
Just curious…..why not stick with TBM?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2021, 23:49 

Post Likes: +159
200+ knots plus pressurized, in a piston ... very small slice of the GA pie. Even smaller if you want a single to keep DOCs low. I think the only one still being manufactured new is the PA46/M350. I do think Malibus and Mirages can still be found at reasonable prices considering the market. If pressurization is critical to you, I recommend them.

I don't think the PA46 turbine DOCs are all that bad, as I fly an M600 ... although they are definitely higher than my Cirrus' costs used to be. But the PA46 is less DOC than a TBM, I think. Even so, the TBM is a great machine and I would think twice about selling it. An Avidyne Meridian is still a good value if your mission can live with up to 800 nm range.

Having said that, I like the LX7 a lot - turbine or piston version, but it's high 6 figures to very low 1 mm ... www.lx7aircraft.com. It's basically a reengineered Lancair IVPT. Saw it at OSH this year and 2019. Has BRS also. But insurance, training and maintenance can pose issues depending on various factors and sounds like it is outside your budget.

I had a friend who recently sold his Lancair IVPT ... I found it pretty cramped inside but the ES is definitely more spacious. Also, the LX7 has found some extra inches inside the cabin and feels bigger than the stock IVPT.

Good luck and keep us posted!

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 01:10 

Post Likes: +2225
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
Username Protected wrote:

I had a friend who recently sold his Lancair IVPT ... I found it pretty cramped inside but the ES is definitely more spacious. Also, the LX7 has found some extra inches inside the cabin and feels bigger than the stock IVPT.

As far as I know the fuselage of all of those airplanes is identical. Are you sure they are different?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 10:21 

Post Likes: +4650

As far as I know the fuselage of all of those airplanes is identical. Are you sure they are different?

Yes, the pressure bulkhead in back is unique to the pressurized variants and eliminates interior access to baggage, as well as limits the baggage compartment and prevents the option of laying the rear seats flat (look at my ad for pics of that, its spacious!), the “elbow” room is determined by the builder when closing out the side panels, there are ways to gain a little extra width and my ES is configured that way, the new LX7 has the same tweak, the leg room can be adjusted by rudder pedal position, and the seat mounting can affect headroom and leg room as well, but all can be adjusted

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 17:18 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: Shopping
Just curious…..why not stick with TBM?

Corporate - sold it two years ago.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2021, 16:06 

Post Likes: +338
Aircraft: AA1B,PA28,PA18,CE500
LX7 ane ES have completely different spar layout vs the IV-P. This gives more head room. Good luck getting insurance no less reasonable insurance in the LX7. There are not enough out there to give a favorable rating. Good concept. Overall business execution of the concept….meh :shrug:
The question is are you trying to pinch pennies or Benjamins? I’d rather spend the money for reliability and safety. Stepping back from a turbine to a single piston or in my case a twin to a single wouldn’t make me warm and comfy feeling. Especially night or IFR. I’m happy to over pay for a spare engine out on the wing.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2021, 16:31 

LX7 ane ES have completely different spar layout vs the IV-P. This gives more head room. Good luck getting insurance no less reasonable insurance in the LX7. There are not enough out there to give a favorable rating. Good concept. Overall business execution of the concept….meh :shrug:
The question is are you trying to pinch pennies or Benjamins? I’d rather spend the money for reliability and safety. Stepping back from a turbine to a single piston or in my case a twin to a single wouldn’t make me warm and comfy feeling. Especially night or IFR. I’m happy to over pay for a spare engine out on the wing.

Its relative right, you pay for safety, you pay for KTAS, you either pay maintenance or hull, you pay for insurance or annual training, etc. There is no panacea. I owned and operated a single engine turbo prop and paid turbine prices and got turbine reliability but it is still a single. I stepped back into a Bonanza and reduced my capex and opex by a decimal point and 4 digits. I did not go back that far in safety or reliability. I can offset some of that by being conservative in the decision making. Just because i was in the TBM did not mean launch in any weather at any time. It was not a aircraft limitation, it was a survival tactic for a guy who stays current and tries to stay proficient.
That second engine just might might be running like a top all the way to the scene of the crash too.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2021, 17:06 

Post Likes: +1960
Aircraft: J35, L-19, PT17
I think about this often too. I've got two old airplanes that I love to fly but the joy of flying them could be replaced by just about any modest aerobatic home built. I'll be retiring in a few years and the expense versus the actual flying time is ridiculously high. I really need to consider that. Fortunately, for travel, I own half of a very nice J35 and I've got no intentions of letting that go. In fact, it's going in the shop this week for the GFC 500 autopilot with all the bells and whistles.

So that makes think that maybe Anthony, a partner might be a better option for you. I've had two partnerships with zero problems.

Its relative right, you pay for safety, you pay for KTAS, you either pay maintenance or hull, you pay for insurance or annual training, etc. There is no panacea. I owned and operated a single engine turbo prop and paid turbine prices and got turbine reliability but it is still a single. I stepped back into a Bonanza and reduced my capex and opex by a decimal point and 4 digits. I did not go back that far in safety or reliability. I can offset some of that by being conservative in the decision making. Just because i was in the TBM did not mean launch in any weather at any time. It was not a aircraft limitation, it was a survival tactic for a guy who stays current and tries to stay proficient.
That second engine just might might be running like a top all the way to the scene of the crash too.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2021, 22:49 

Post Likes: +587
Aircraft: Seabee Aerostar 700
I have decided to retire. I am selling the businesses and real estate holdings and the Bonanza. We are downsizing and realigning - to Florida. We have family in Illinois, Kentucky, North Carolina and Colorado. I made the fortunate decision to fly my wife to Florida from Illinois, it was a good trip, we dodged a lot of weather, she asked a lot of questions. In the end she really enjoyed sitting in the right seat on that trip. In the TBM she sat in the back and rode herd on the kids and was not engaged in the work up front.

So as we are getting ready to make this 1000 mile move, my wife asks me what airplane are we getting next? Good question is my answer. I have been looking, i am on the fence about experimental or certified, i don't want turbine DOC, I "want" +- 200 KTAS and maybe pressurized. A modern AP with envelope protection and the level button is a must for her, we talked a lot about what to do if something happens to me. She wants more pinch hitter training but i want her to have more automation at her disposal. Cirrus is out - don't want to debate it. I have my reasons.

Malibu? Cessna 340? Duke? Lancair IV-P or ES? I hear bad stories about the IV-P and how engine out and clean stalls/spins are pilot killers, The maintenance on the twin Cessna's are more than some countries GDP, Dukes are great until you have to buy fuel for them or hang an engine. Finding a good Malibu is getting impossible and 350's are high 6 to low 7 digits.

The experimental air frames interest me from a cost aspect, and i can put just about anything in it i want within reason. I have only flown certified aircraft and just do not have a handle on the issues related to the experimental planes. I have nothing but time to find what i want, I just do not know what that is? Any one have any ideas that don't involve Tarver and his citation addiction. Man that guy has some nice airplanes.

go fly an Aerostar if you want a twin. a 601P is very efficient. any of the 700's are real hot rods . 1000 fpm climb at 160 indicated and will stay level with one engine dead and windmilling. clean it will climb at 500 fpm on one. it will be no more expensive than a 340 or 414 etc.

I plan for 220 knots at 65% power on my 602P700 at any altitude up to 18 K

warning don't go fly one if you don't have the money if you fly one you will want to buy it

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2021, 23:24 

Post Likes: +4796
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
If you don’t need deice the IV-p is an exceptional airplane. 260kts, very comfortable and straight forward to fly. I have nothing bad to say about it. If you don’t need the space a Rocket is also excellent but it’s not that comfortable for 2 people on a long trip and has limited baggage space. Rocket has few bad habits that will hurt you.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 14:40 

Post Likes: +180
Aircraft: M20S Screaming Eagle
What about a Mooney 305 Rocket or an Acclaim. Acclaim is pushing 200 knots at +10,000ft. the rocket will be over 200 probably around 14 or 15 thousand. Plenty of range, and with the back seats removed, plenty of baggage space. Rockets can also be had for under 175k, and a they have great range and capability. Both have parts that are relatively easy to get.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 15:26 

If you don’t need deice the IV-p is an exceptional airplane. 260kts, very comfortable and straight forward to fly. I have nothing bad to say about it. If you don’t need the space a Rocket is also excellent but it’s not that comfortable for 2 people on a long trip and has limited baggage space. Rocket has few bad habits that will hurt you.

It is on the list, i am glad to hear someone with experience say the iv-p is conventional to fly. Not sure about how i feel about flight levels and no de ice. While fun i am not sure the Rocket is for me. For one thing the wheel is on the wrong end and i need room for our English Setter.

I was looking very hard at the lancairs both the IV-P and the ES, Brian has a very nice ES for sale. Decisions, Decisions. Please do not show my wife any pictures of your Citations, she will ask questions and will send me off to school if i am not careful.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 21:29 

Post Likes: +10715
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

It is on the list, i am glad to hear someone with experience say the iv-p is conventional to fly. Not sure about how i feel about flight levels and no de ice. While fun i am not sure the Rocket is for me. For one thing the wheel is on the wrong end and i need room for our English Setter.

I was looking very hard at the lancairs both the IV-P and the ES, Brian has a very nice ES for sale. Decisions, Decisions. Please do not show my wife any pictures of your Citations, she will ask questions and will send me off to school if i am not careful.

Before you get too serious about any Lancair IV, check into what insurance will cost and what the insurer will require WRT initial and recurrent training, especially if you like higher than minimum liability limits.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 21:40 

Post Likes: +4796
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
Lancair IV-p is basically not reasonably insurable as are most high performance experimentals so if that’s an issue, strike it off the list. ES is insurable.

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next