banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 18:07 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Need some opinions - certified or experimental??
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 02:46 

Post Likes: +3313
Company: tomdrew.lawyer
Aircraft: 1973 Baron E55
If you are retiring you don't have to be anywhere fast anymore. It sounds to me like you are trying to make life more simple. That brings a Cessna 182 into play and you, your wife and dog can watch the world go by in comfort. You all will enjoy looking down. Install BRS parachute for wife comfort. The dog will like getting in and out of it too.

Anybody along the way can work on it. No parts problems, no insurance problems. The only downside is you have to be willing to slow down and enjoy the ride. :D

Currency 12 M: IPC/BFR, CFII Renewal

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 10:21 

Post Likes: +4651
Username Protected wrote:
Anybody along the way can work on it. No parts problems, no insurance problems. The only downside is you have to be willing to slow down and enjoy the ride. :D

For the price of a 182 these days he can have a lot more with an experimental, and still go faster when he wants to

A TBM to a 182 is quite the step back in speed

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 14:55 

Post Likes: +696
Aircraft: 1966 Bonanza V35-TC
We fly a V35TC w Mountain High cannulas, hard to beat, just short of pressurization, just short of TN, but wow, did it ever change the way we fly. WOTLOPSOP, LOP climbs, 16-17.5 thousand cruise altitudes, 185-190 kts, good enough. Pretty much direct to anywhere, little traffic at those altitudes, above a lot of weather in smoother air.
Point is, Turbonormalizing your 36, adding MH portable or fixed, will transform your ops and easily do 200 KTAS. You won't mind the cannulas. Tip tanks are icing on the cake. Given a choice of TN vs boots or de-ice, I'd take the TN.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 18:19 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: Bonanza A36
Concur with Michael Tarver. I also own and regulary fly a LIVP. Insurance is very high and almost no one carries any hull. Most underwriters require transition and annual recurrent training.

One thing not mentioned is your ability and desire to maintain an experimental yourself. The IVP is pretty complex and few shops will know anything about what is aft of the firewall. There is much to inspect and ensure proper operation of back there. Good Air Conditioning is almost a must have for comfort whenever pressurized. Many of these are not turn-key installations (like mine), they are built up from components sold for modifying classic cars.

To me, it is worth all that because I really wanted the performance and went into it with my eyes wide open.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 20:32 

Post Likes: +2227
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
If you are retiring you don't have to be anywhere fast anymore. It sounds to me like you are trying to make life more simple. That brings a Cessna 182 into play and you, your wife and dog can watch the world go by in comfort. You all will enjoy looking down. Install BRS parachute for wife comfort. The dog will like getting in and out of it too.

I agree but maybe a bit less slow would be a P210. There’s always such a thing as too much adventure. FIKI and topping weather makes getting stuck harder, and 182s are surprisingly expensive (maybe because of the above).

P210R in particular are the sorted out 210 versions but hard to find.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 21:28 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: Shopping

I agree but maybe a bit less slow would be a P210. There’s always such a thing as too much adventure. FIKI and topping weather makes getting stuck harder, and 182s are surprisingly expensive (maybe because of the above).

P210R in particular are the sorted out 210 versions but hard to find.

I have about 100 hours in N210BH. A pressurized R model will be next to impossible to find. Decent performance, kind of a runway hog, stable in IMC and won’t wind up coming down hill clean. I thought someone had a 550 stc or did I dream that up and maybe not for the P model.

Could be a contender. I will put it on the list. The 182 - I am not paying that much to go that slow. I would buy a Commander 114 or 115 before a 182

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 21:42 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: Shopping
Concur with Michael Tarver. I also own and regulary fly a LIVP. Insurance is very high and almost no one carries any hull. Most underwriters require transition and annual recurrent training.

One thing not mentioned is your ability and desire to maintain an experimental yourself. The IVP is pretty complex and few shops will know anything about what is aft of the firewall. There is much to inspect and ensure proper operation of back there. Good Air Conditioning is almost a must have for comfort whenever pressurized. Many of these are not turn-key installations (like mine), they are built up from components sold for modifying classic cars.

To me, it is worth all that because I really wanted the performance and went into it with my eyes wide open.

No worries on maintenance, I can handle either side of the firewall. The equipment my company builds is way more technical than a IV-P. We are one of the few companies that can handle ultra high pressure hydraulics, up to 250,000 psi. A slow day is 40,000 psi.
If I can’t buy I will make it. CNC multi axis, laser, water jet, carbon fiber molding and 3D printers. Our fuel systems side makes part to 7 micron diametrical fit. Most airplane parts are chiseled out with tolerances you can throw a mad cat through. Textron could not build an airplane using centimeter tolerances let alone millimeter.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 21:47 

Post Likes: +1644
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
SX-300

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 07:04 

Post Likes: +6513
Aircraft: OPAs
The equipment my company builds is way more technical than a IV-P. We are one of the few companies that can handle ultra high pressure hydraulics, up to 250,000 psi. A slow day is 40,000 psi.
If I can’t buy I will make it. CNC multi axis, laser, water jet, carbon fiber molding and 3D printers. Our fuel systems side makes part to 7 micron diametrical fit. Most airplane parts are chiseled out with tolerances you can throw a mad cat through. Textron could not build an airplane using centimeter tolerances let alone millimeter.

You have the capability of owning an experimental plane, and keeping it flying. I had a really nice SX-300, but some of the parts were getting scarce...and if you didn't personally have the ability to do much of what you delineate, you had to hire it done...and the cost went up at that point (I had one $25,000 annual). I was charged fairly, it was just a lot of time-consuming work.

Just my opinion, but having owned both certified an experimental, it all depends on how much you want your personal level of involvement to be...and how comfortable you are with things that aren't "proven" (i.e., lots of data points...if a fleet size is less than 50 airframes, there simply isn't as much experience as if the fleet is in the thousands).

I've done both, been happy with both, and as is usual in aviation...."it depends".

With a Baron, it's pretty handy to be able to take it to a shop and get something done, even if you are away from home. The efficiencies of an experimental are attractive.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 08:05 

Post Likes: +8721
Aircraft: Lancair LNC2 - SOLD
What Stan said. With an experimental, you get exceptional performance but are taking on a lot of uncertainty. Each experimental is unique. There are only a handful of mechanics in the entire Country that know enough about them to do an adequate Annual inspection. I think you would be better off to stick with a known quantity.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 09:18 

Post Likes: +2256
Company: Retired
Aircraft: '76 A36 TAT TN 550
Finding a good Malibu is getting impossible and 350's are high 6 to low 7 digits.

So get a Mirage.

You even get a heated glass windshield with one of those and you don’t have to spend M350 money.

Pressurized, turbocharged, air conditioned, de-ice, etc.

Sure you may have to upgrade the autopilot to something you want but if you’re really after the new auto-land tech you’re going to have to write a large check…

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 09:20 

Post Likes: +2256
Company: Retired
Aircraft: '76 A36 TAT TN 550
Ps.

The only thing that will get me out of my TAT TN A36 is something with pressurization.

Otherwise there’s simply no reason to change aircraft. What I have is very fast, holds a prodigious useful load, it’s roomy, comfortable and it’s affordable (vs many of the alternatives you mentioned).

As much as I like the Malibu it won’t fit in my hangar.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 10:02 

Post Likes: +4797
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
SX-300

I don't know if Stan has flown the IV-P but I think the SX is even quirkier to fly than the Lancair and much less of them out there. Maybe he can opine?

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 10:15 

Post Likes: +7941
Company: Minister of Pith
Aircraft: Piper PA28/140

Great Idea i should do that - December arrival - KCGC Crystal River area. A friend owns the FBO and i get to hang out with Capt Tom Davis. The guy is a real American hero, veteran and a great guy. He is in his early 90s and still recognizes me and and calls me by name and i only get to see him twice a year until now. Really looking forward to spending time with him.

Welcome to the Nature Coast! I'm based at KCGC. We moved here full time a year ago, it's the best!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 12:08 

Post Likes: +3313
Company: tomdrew.lawyer
Aircraft: 1973 Baron E55
Here is something I have learned in almost 40 years of aviation and multiple aircraft ownerships topping out witn a Cessna 340A. First, let's look at aircraft as a, "time machine." But, we have to consider all of the time associated with ownership of that machine including, time spent managing the aircraft, recurrent training, AOG, runup and shutdown checklists, fueling and then the actual door to door airtime on a typical flight profile.

If you look at an aircraft that way, my C340A was by far the slowest "time machine" I have ever owned and the C182 and F33 the fastest. YMMV.

Currency 12 M: IPC/BFR, CFII Renewal

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next