Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Fairchild C123 provider
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 22:03 

Post Likes: +63
Aircraft: C340 Ram VII
Username Protected wrote:
Thanks....i really enjoy his stories.

You 'owned' one? Very cool. I would have wanted to be your fuel supplier!

Care to share the story that goes along with why you needed C123? Sounds interesting.

Mark

OK

Luckily it had over 2,000 gallons of fuel in it when I purchased it. It was quite an adventure and a bit of a long story so I’ll start with how I acquired it and post more when I have time about surviving hurricane Andrew, prepping it for the ferry flight, the battles over ferrying it, flying it home just in time for the “Storm of the Century “, selling it, working with the new owners, seeing it being trucked up I95 recently etc. I’ll try not to bore y’all.

Anyone claimed to be bored by stories like that should immediately be banned from BT. Keep ‘em coming! That was amazing! Thanks for sharing and I look forward reading more.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 22:19 

Post Likes: +116
Company: First Light Logistics
Aircraft: Cessna 180, King Air
Very interesting, I'm familiar with the K model languishing at TICO and thought perhaps it was the same one.

That one belongs to the now defunct “Air America Foundation”. It is pretty much junk. Before the founder died I donated a huge inventory of new 123 parts to them that I got from Venezuela. They cut up there B models when they learned they were used in operation Ranch Hand spraying agent Orange in Vietnam. They were contaminated. Unfortunately I sold mine before I acquired the inventory. I had about a dozen QEC engines and a couple shipping containers full of new parts. I sold a lot of the parts to Wild Bill in Alaska. Unfortunately he later died in one of his 123s near Denali. That one was previously used in a number of movies including Conair when the Reddicks owned it. They mounted a forward fuselage section to an operational school bus chassis for the never ending crash scene. I sold a number of nose gears and actuators to them as they kept failing on them.

I just watched the YouTube movie again that I posted the link to above. I’ll bet the crash story Darryl was telling in the tent was the previous 123 crash. Apparently it was in Panama not Honduras. I was just remembering what Harry Doan had told me and he knew him.

I was working for Wild Bill up in Alaska when he was killed in his C-123, as far as I know the other flying one that he had (from the movie Dumbo Drop) is still sitting up at Delta Junction. I also believe the one that John Eschelman owned is still sitting right where he left it at Wolf Lake Airpark when he was killed with Bill. Small world, I had a meeting with Bill Whittington’s widow today as I was working on her Jet A farm.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 22:45 

Post Likes: +5489
Aircraft: E33/152A
I saw the K model at Tico fly at the annual airshow there in the early 90's. At that time, there was a fairly extensive spares/rotables package with that aircraft,including QECs.
Not sure what happened to all that, but as you said, she is in poor shape now. Many K models were sprayers.

It was a pretty nice aircraft back then. It played “The Fat Lady” in the movie Double Crossed-The Barry Seal Story. There was a lot of incompetence with the owners at Titusville. Once they had a stack fire during start and the operator flipped the overhead switches and “dropped” the 900 gallon tanks to the ground. They were badly damaged but they hammered them out and reinstalled them.

Double Crossed was a pretty good movie and much more accurate than American Made.

https://youtu.be/vH-cuspaCac

I used to fuel his Navajo and his brother Ben’s Jet Ranger in Baton Rouge. It is the same helicopter that is used in the movie and Ben was flying it. Barry had negotiated immunity for him.

Some of the scenes portrayed in the movie actually took place on Harry Doan’s ramp at the New Smyrna Beach Airport.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 22:48 

Post Likes: +1719
Aircraft: x23mouse
:bugeye: :clap: :bow: :thumbup: :dancing:

Fire em up! Let's roll!! What can happen?!

I purchased a Fairchild C123K that had been sitting for 8 years. It was parked opposite a PBY Catalina at the Ft Lauderdale International airport. I was over anxious to run it up and taxi it in prep for a ferry flight. I had someone calling the checklist for me the first time.

After I started both recips he called “turn off aux hydraulic and check pressure” which I did. As I moved forward I checked the nose wheel steering with the tiller wheel and then subsequently tapped the brakes to check them.

I did not know that the aileron deice boot pump that also pressurized the main hydraulic reservoir (to prevent the high up engine driven pumps from cavitating) was inop. Unbeknownst to me the engine driven pumps then cavitated and the nose wheel steering went dead as I was initiating a hard 90 degree turn so I pressed the brakes.Right to the floor!

Turns out that they were on an accumulator that gave one application and I had already used it up testing them! Meanwhile I was moving quickly straight towards the parked PBY directly in front of me. My last resort to prevent a catastrophic collision was to lift the power levers and reverse the props to attempt to stop.

One of the untested IOC motor was stuck and the other functioned so the left engine throttled up in reverse pitch hard while the right throttled up in forward pitch hard. With a very loud 4000 HP roar the aircraft pivoted with the nose gear full 90 degrees left in a second! The only thing I could do was pull the mixtures and shut the mags off. The 110 ft wing span beast spun 270 degrees in an instant.

It happened so fast and when it slowed I was afraid to look out as I thought there would be PBY nose shrapnel from the 13 ft diameter prop everywhere. Luckily the Rt wing went over the Catalina cabin striking the prop dome while the spinning prop barely missed the nose. The aircraft finally came to a stop just before contacting my truck and trailer with jacks on it.

After riding out hurricane Andrew chained to the I-595 overpass with a Cadillac parked in the back I had an epic battle with the FAA obtaining a ferry permit and ferried it home to New Smyrna, refurbished it and sold it...

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 07:05 

Post Likes: +266
I saw the K model at Tico fly at the annual airshow there in the early 90's. At that time, there was a fairly extensive spares/rotables package with that aircraft,including QECs.
Not sure what happened to all that, but as you said, she is in poor shape now. Many K models were sprayers.

It was a pretty nice aircraft back then. It played “The Fat Lady” in the movie Double Crossed-The Barry Seal Story. There was a lot of incompetence with the owners at Titusville. Once they had a stack fire during start and the operator flipped the overhead switches and “dropped” the 900 gallon tanks to the ground. They were badly damaged but they hammered them out and reinstalled them.

Double Crossed was a pretty good movie and much more accurate than American Made.

https://youtu.be/vH-cuspaCac

I used to fuel his Navajo and his brother Ben’s Jet Ranger in Baton Rouge. It is the same helicopter that is used in the movie and Ben was flying it. Barry had negotiated immunity for him.

Some of the scenes portrayed in the movie actually took place on Harry Doan’s ramp at the New Smyrna Beach Airport.

Benjie's company is still operating the Jet Ranger. I was flying out of New Orleans and Slidell at the time, I'm sure we've crossed paths. ;)

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 11:07 

Hurricane Andrew
Shortly after I purchased N681DG Andrew was barreling towards south Florida with a projected landfall bull’s eye on KFLL. I loaded my flat bed truck with supplies and made the five hour drive while watching the heavy evacuation traffic in the North bound lanes.

Ferrying it was out of the question because most of the elevator and rudder hinges were broken from previous wind damage-not to mention it had not flown in about eight years. The tail controls were about the same size as Cessna wings and were way up in the air. I had previously left my motor home there and planned to use it is scaffolding with ladders to work on it.

I brought a couple of helpers. We fabricated lift spoilers by screwing 2x8s at a 90 degree angle overlapping them to span the 110’ from wing tip to wing tip. I cinched them down with large ratchet straps wrapped around the wing. I then turned the aircraft facing north because that was the direction that the strongest winds were predicted to be from. I towed it up to the large chain link fence next to the I-595 overpass (visible in the pic posted at top). We attached a large chain to the massive tow hook on the nose and fed it through the fence. As was mentioned before the airframe was originally designed as a glider and the tow hook tied into the main structure was retained on the production models. I then used a tug to pull from the outside to get the nose up against the fence. I wrapped the chain around one of the interstate support columns. We then flattened all of the struts and tires. The flat belly rested solidly on the ground. I then opened the back door and lowered the ramp. I borrowed a friend’s Cadillac Fleetwood airport car and drove it up inside the fuselage. I then closed the door and partially lifted the ramp. We made a harness using steel cables and shackles to attach to multiple tie down anchors on the floor board. I found a large roller compactor sitting near the runway that was being used on a taxiway project. Luckily I found the hidden key and was able to commandeer it. We hooked my cable harness to it. I stretched the airframe taught between the roller and the overpass column. I then strapped the tail tie down to the cab structure on the roller. I parked a large aircraft tug under one wing tie down and my Cab Over flat bed under the other. We fabricated large gust locks out of 2 x 4s and plywood sheets and installed them on the tail.

We finished up and had time to help my friend that owned the Cadillac to secure his DC-3. Leaving town at dark the hurricane was still headed right for us. Exhausted, We left in the motor home and stopped at a grocery store hoping to get something to drink. Almost all of the shelves were literally bare and there were no liquids of any kind. We then spent almost all night in traffic to get home.

I flew down the day after the storm to check on it with my friend in a Citation. The storm had made a slight deviation to the South just before making landfall sparing us from the brunt of it. Most of the aircraft on the ramp were badly damaged and a couple were flipped over but the overpass, the fence and my measures saved mine. The only damage I had was one broken side window. I put the roller compactor back where I borrowed it from, removed the Cadillac from the back and the chain from the nose.

We then flew the Citation to Tamiami airport that got the worst of it. The tower was closed and I had to get out on the runway and literally drag debris out of the way to get to the parking area. We were one of the first aircraft to land there. We handed out cases of bottled water and left to prepare for a large scale salvage operation.

I returned the next day with a Motor Coach, Motor Home, Roll-Back truck, fork lift and a crew. We scooped up aircraft that were spread out all over the place-some more than a mile from where they were parked and untangled them from hangars. We secured about three hundred of them in a compound. That operation lasted for a few months before I was able to get back on task of making the C123 ferriable.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2021, 07:15 

Post Likes: +207
Aircraft: A36
Norman when you write a book I will gladly buy the first copy!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 16:56 

The fate of “Large Marge” after a stint playing “Jail Bird” in the movie Con Air.

http://www.oldwings.nl/content/con_air/con_air.htm

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20100801-0

https://www.1001crash.com/transport-pag ... healy.html

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article ... 010/08/14/

The cause of the crash is basically unsolved (in my opinion) by the NTSB. Written up as simply inadvertent stall with no reason stated except pilot’s failure to maintain airspeed. Not buying that one. Probably would have been a tough decision to pull the power and land under control on a heavily wooded upslope with a very heavy industrial diesel generator behind you. Apparently they put a lot of weight on the eyewitness account that both engines were running. Running maybe but producing power, not likely. Personally I believe it was a classic VMC induced rollover. Wild Bill was very well known among Alaska bush pilots an had lots of experience flying heavy cargo. He would not have been purposely that low carrying heavy cargo with high ceilings. He obviously was experiencing power loss on at least one engine to only be a few hundred feet. The defuelers (J-85s) were likely off while en route. I talked to one of Wild Bill’s mechanics shortly after the crash. He told me that he had a Ground power assist start and departed with the jets running. That makes me tend to believe the “put-put” onboard APU was not operational. Too bad as the inventory I sold him had a couple of new surplus ones. Between it ad the recip generators there is plenty of amperage available to spool up the jets. Normal procedures would have the APU idling in case of an engine failure as it would be required to start the jets. Apparently there was a small strip nearby that he was heading to when it quit flying.

Last edited on 09 Nov 2021, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 17:27 

Post Likes: +1719
Aircraft: x23mouse
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +Air+plane

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4EQaS3FfyO0[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/E9AWLSywFX4[/youtube]

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 17:41 

Has to be one of the corniest movies ever. I guess nobody told the producer a C123 lands in a few hundred feet. Must have touched down near VNE.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2022, 18:19 

Getting N681DG home

After a few months of weekends living in a motor home at KFLL, myself and two helpers had the airplane ready to ferry to New Smyrna Beach.

I had some expert help with James (Woody) Woodall. He was an ex Vietnam C123 crew chief that I met when he was working on Harry Doan’s C123 that was initially sold to Barry Seal then bought back and then sold to Southern Air Transport before being shot down in Nicaragua.

The only type rated pilot I could find that was willing to do a ferry flight was a gentleman well into his seventies. He had a collection of ratings that he carried in his billfold that was over a foot long. He was very proud of them and whipped them out at every opportunity.

When I first tracked him down I asked how long it had been since he had flown a Provider. He replied “about 6 months”. My first hint of a problem was when I brought him down with a friend in a Citation for the flight and he said “this is the aircraft I earned my type in”. I asked him if he had ever flown any other and he said “no”. (This aircraft had not been airborne in over 8 years).

It went down hill from there as he was exhibiting obvious signs of dementia and repeated himself frequently. He knew very little about the aircraft and it’s systems and argued with me about everything. The typical dispute ended with “Son-have you ever been upside down in a smoking Sea Fury with fuel running into the cockpit?-So there!”

He was a nice guy and had a hell of an aviation history but was a little late in hanging it up. But he was all I had. He was fine with the condition of the aircraft but was insistent about going to the FSDO office on the airport and speaking with them before we left. Even though I had the ferry permit in hand. It was just another exercise in him showing off all of his tickets.

When we got there, my FAA inspector nemesis that originally told me “The only way this aircraft is leaving this airport is in pieces on trailers” was on duty. When my guy insisted on showing him all of his credentials the inspector saw that he had a C123 type rating. He then asked him about his currency in the model. The inspector then told him that he could not act a PIC without a check flight with someone current in the model. He said that he had assumed the ferry pilot would have a blanket LOA. And of course there was no one (or any aircraft) available to give that ride and it couldn’t be done in this aircraft as it was out of annual. Add to that there was not a C123 available anywhere to get that ride in. We left dejected.

After hours of phone calls I finally got the flight re-approved due to some wording in the regs “except for ferry flight” and we returned to retrieve the aircraft. By the time everything was in order for departure it was getting late in the day. We were pressed against the “daylight” requirement for the arrival time in New Smyrna.

I got taxi clearance but when I called for takeoff I got no response from the tower. After repeated calls the airliners started trying to relay my calls with no response. The problem was is that they did not want me departing to the west over populated area. It sure would have been nice if they had just told me that. Finally after my departure window had passed I called ground and got an immediate response for my request to return to the ramp. Pretty sure that my FAA inspector friend from below the tower was there causing the problem.

Early the next morning 9L was active and coincidentally they could here me perfectly.

My ferry pilot captain briefed me on the takeoff procedures. He told me to fly the ailerons while he worked the nose wheel tiller wheel and the power levers and at his call he would take the ailerons and rotate. I was to monitor the power levers at that point. He was oblivious to the fact that I had the jets idling. The takeoff roll was uneventful except that it went on forever. The aircraft had accelerated normally but he would not rotate. We were past two thirds of the very long runway and hauling ass! Finally he said “I’ve got the airplane” and with both hands hauled the yoke back with way too much force. Felt like a 2-3G pull. I have no idea what he was thinking or what he thought he was flying but the 123 is cumbersome but light on the controls with very large booster tabs. We both pushed simultaneously with the horizon out of sight to level off as the crew chief stepped up from the back, obviously pissed off, and said “what the hell was that!” He later shared with me that that scared him more than anything in Vietnam.

Other than that fiasco the rest of the flight home was uneventful. Once in level cruise I left my seat for a bit to walk around in the back and opened the rear door and lowered the ramp. He let me do a low pass with the jets throttled up over the bay that I lived on and a low pass at the Spruce Creek Airport. We then flew it for a bit with both recips in simulated feather power and one jet spooled up with the other shuttered. It still amazes me that one of those little jets could haul that barn sized airplane along.

I did the landing at New Smyrna but the captain kept knocking my hand away when I would set the mixture on one of the engines to where I knew it would idle. (Pressure carb needed OH). He pushed it forward one last time in the flare and it quit and we couldn’t get it started again after landing.

A couple of years later the ferry pilot was killed in the crash described in the article below. I can certainly understand and relate to the circumstances described in the analysis and comments.

https://387bg.com/Aircraft/B-26%20Carolyn.htm

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2022, 18:40 

I left out the part about getting the ferry permit.

When the aircraft was ready to go and I had done high speed taxi tests and engine runs I went across the field to the FSDO to give them my ferry permit application. I was referred to the top guy in maintenance. He sat me down in his office and proceeded to tell me the that the only way that aircraft was leaving was through the gate.

When I asked him to quote me from his guidance a reason why he came to that determination he just stated “that he knew how long it had been sitting. I tried to show him my list of tasks that I had completed but to no avail.

I went back home and sat on the phone calling anyone and everyone I could think of dropping his name everywhere. I called the Miami office, The supervisory office in Atlanta, Washington DC, OK city and the Orlando FSDO and others that I had done ferry permits with. I even called a retired FAA guy that I had worked with. And I repeatedly called the FLL office and complained to anyone that would listen dropping his name to everyone. I told them that they left me no choice but to file a formal complaint against him for refusing to do his job.

After a few days he finally called me to tell me to come and get my ferry permit. I found out later that they had been at the aircraft a number of times looking it over.

After I traveled all the way down there he tried to make an appointment with me in a couple of weeks for him to come and inspect it. I then told him “then I take it that if you are going to inspect it then you are going to endorse it as safe for flight intended-I had planned to do that”. I left that day with the permit an hand.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022, 19:10 

Post Likes: +13
Aircraft: B-35
Norman

I am almost a year late in reading about your C123 escapades. Great stories. Great writing. Thanks

Bob Belovich B-35

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2022, 21:47 

Post Likes: +634
that C123 moved around KFXE for several years. IIRC, it was at the Lynx FBO property across runway 9 from my hangar in 2019. Stood out like a sore thumb. What a moose of an airplane, I'd love to make a flying RV out of it.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2022, 22:25 

Post Likes: +591
Aircraft: RV-6 & RV-10
There is (or was recently) a flying C-123 in the Atlanta area. It is/was based at McCollum.
I saw it up at Calhoun (about 50 miles NW of Atlanta) doing touch and goes one day last Spring.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next