0:22

I'm selling my products all wrong

I need to go to confession....

Post subject: Re: 70's Learjet promo film
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 14:14 

Post Likes: +8014
Aircraft: C-182
Username Protected wrote:
Paul, do you know what happened to Cal Worthington’s LearJet? Many years ago I visited the Pima Air Museum where they have Harry Timken’s Lear. His wife donated it; as I recall it only had about 2000 hours TT. I think it was a 23 but could be wrong, regardless it was an amazing time capsule.

Sven,

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your question. I was always on Cal to get a Lear 35 because with the 24 (N711CW) we were stretching fuel on the Anchorage-Seattle legs.

When I left Cal to go to the airline, he sold the 24 to an aerial mapping company in Washington State, and bought a Lear 35. I think his Lear 24 eventually ended up in a small museum, and I don't know what happened to the 35 when Cal passed.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2022, 21:54 

Post Likes: +2
Company: Tillamook Air Museum
Hello there,

I Curate an aviation Museum here in Tillamook, Oregon (The Tillamook Air Museum) and I’m trying to gather some additional information on this particular Lear Jet being discussed (N711CW) that is said to have once belonged to Cal Worthington. This airplane is currently a part of our collection and I was interested in learning more about the ship’s association with Mr. Worthington. I can be contacted either through this forum, or at CGurling@Tillamookair.com

Thank you!

Christian

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 15:26 

Hello there,

I Curate an aviation Museum here in Tillamook, Oregon (The Tillamook Air Museum) and I’m trying to gather some additional information on this particular Lear Jet being discussed (N711CW) that is said to have once belonged to Cal Worthington. This airplane is currently a part of our collection and I was interested in learning more about the ship’s association with Mr. Worthington. I can be contacted either through this forum, or at CGurling@Tillamookair.com

Thank you!

Christian

Christian,

Cal purchased the Lear 24B around 1983 and I flew it with him until I went to Evergreen in late 1985.

It was purchased from a Canadian oil and gas exploration company and was equipped with a gravel kit, Dee Howard Mark ll smooth wing, Dee Howard hydraulic reversers and a drag chute. it was bought for $250,000 in good shape. It had a 98 knot basic ref.

After I left he finally took my advice and bought a Lear 35; maybe getting tired of seeing those low fuel lights flashing from stretching the range. It was a real rocket ship to fly, but a fuel guzzler. We based it at Cal's ranch in Orland, Ca operating off a 3,000 foot dirt strip that we oiled, and I see the strip has been lengthened to about 4,000 feet. We had a 10,000 gallon Jet-A tank at the ranch for the plane, and kept it in a taxi-thru shade hangar.

Oddly, it was a non-icing Lear. It had hot wings and hot engine nacelles, but didn't have the radome anti-icing alcohol nipple required for icing conditions, but ice was never a problem. The subsequent owner painted the hot engine nacelles, probably flying in VFR conditions only as a mapping plane.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 15:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +810
Aircraft: BE300 LR-JET DA-50
Bill Lear's cameo role in "In Like Flint."

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 15:58 

Post Likes: +19605
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
Oddly, it was a non-icing Lear. It had hot wings and hot engine nacelles, but didn't have the radome anti-icing alcohol nipple required for icing conditions, but ice was never a problem. The subsequent owner painted the hot engine nacelles, probably flying in VFR conditions only as a mapping plane.

The early Lears were all partial de-iced, with hot wings and inlet rings but nothing on the tail or nose. This one is clearly an early model. The very early ones had electrically heated engine inlets which apparently could be painted as I've seen some photos. I don't think it disabled the heaters. Ours had unpainted inlets. All of them had the drag chute.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 19:03 

The early Lears were all partial de-iced, with hot wings and inlet rings but nothing on the tail or nose. This one is clearly an early model. The very early ones had electrically heated engine inlets which apparently could be painted as I've seen some photos. I don't think it disabled the heaters. Ours had unpainted inlets. All of them had the drag chute.

I was typed in serial number 7, a Lear 23 that didn't have a drag chute, but it could have been removed. We removed the chute in ours.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 19:27 

Post Likes: +859
I don't have much time in the LearJet 35A, but wow, what a hot rod. The one that I flew had the 55 engines, and we had to depart (and land) pretty light for a less than 4000 foot home base runway.

It was always fun grabbing a big handful of throttle to SLOW DOWN, so as not to bust 200 knots on departure.

I'm 6'2", and I really don't fit in the cockpit. With all the scary stuff out there about how a Lear will kill you, I thought it flew very well. I liked that is was built like a "big %#$@ house".

I don't miss the clunky systems, but oh boy, did it have character.

I have no idea if I'll ever fly one again, but I certainly wouldn't mind one as a personal plane. Just need to have a handful of other pilots on call. And a wheel barrow load of cash to buy gas.

I don’t know what I don’t know

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 22:20 

Post Likes: +3110
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
I need to take a cold shower

0:22

I'm selling my products all wrong

Ummm...

...yep.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 22:39 

I don't have much time in the LearJet 35A, but wow, what a hot rod. The one that I flew had the 55 engines, and we had to depart (and land) pretty light for a less than 4000 foot home base runway.

It was always fun grabbing a big handful of throttle to SLOW DOWN, so as not to bust 200 knots on departure.

I'm 6'2", and I really don't fit in the cockpit. With all the scary stuff out there about how a Lear will kill you, I thought it flew very well. I liked that is was built like a "big %#$@ house".

I have no idea if I'll ever fly one again, but I certainly wouldn't mind one as a personal plane. Just need to have a handful of other pilots on call. And a wheel barrow load of cash to buy gas.

"I'm 6'2', and I really don't fit in the cockpit."

Thar's how you tell a Lear Captain from an FO; the Captain walks around with his neck leaning to the right, and the FO walks around with his neck leaning to the left. ;)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 22:47 

Post Likes: +859

"I'm 6'2', and I really don't fit in the cockpit."

That's how you tell a Lear Captain from an FO; the Captain walks around with his neck leaning to the right, and the FO walks around with his neck leaning to the left. ;)

Oh, it was definitely more than that. nothing really fit. Not my head or legs, and the seats were uncomfortable. I couldn't see the runway too well while on a right base from the left seat. There's no place to put anything... etc, etc, etc.

The Cessna 414 cockpit is a hotel lobby compared to the Ford Pinto cockpit of the LearJet.
I don’t know what I don’t know

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 23:02 

Post Likes: +19605
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
My first FO, later co-Captain was a big guy. All of 6’2” and well over 200 lbs. He squeezed into that plane and enjoyed every minute in spite of the cockpit. I OTOH happen to be the exact dimensions of Bill Lear. That plane fit me like it was made for me. Plenty of head room, and I had to slide the seat forward to get full deflection on the pedals. I could fly it all day and not be uncomfortable.

It would have been nice to have a cup holder though.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2022, 23:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3600
Company: AssuredPartners Aerospace Phx.
Aircraft: IAR823, LrJet, 240Z
Our 31aER has cup holders.. seats go up and down to fit everyone. I just sit a little higher than the 6-4 boss. Systems rival a Baron for complexity in use, but easier to fly.

Power management is a no brainer: Rest the PLs on the DEECS at 250ias… no more houses. Done! :woot:

C: 602-628-2701

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 08:18 

Post Likes: +1791
Aircraft: Baron 58, Lear 35
Never seen a 35 that didn’t have vertically adjustable seats. The Ipeco seats adjust about everything.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2022, 20:58 

Post Likes: +25
Aircraft: 1987 Super Viking
[youtube]http://youtu.be/uI93WSge8i4[/youtube]

I need to take a cold shower

I’ll buy whatever she is selling.

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next