28 Mar 2024, 18:26 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Inspiration 4
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2021, 12:36 

Post Likes: +12350
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,
+1 for Jared, he is a cool cat, I find him very humble. I have flown the B-25 as photoship in missions with his jets, and know several of the Drakken guys.

What he envisioned and risked to start up the commercial adversary industry for the USAF is incredible.

Great guy.

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2021, 12:45 

Post Likes: +19431
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
Username Protected wrote:

At what, seventeen years of age he invented the credit card point of sale terminals that every one of us has used ever since.

No he didn’t, he streamlined the process and drastically reduced the paperwork and criteria needed to setup a merchant account, he went after the hot dog stands and mall kiosks and small time vendor business the big card processors were not equipped to handle

I had a merchant account back in the early 2000’s, the vetting and bank accounts and long contracts and equipment leases were difficult and cumbersome; took 4-6 weeks to get my account ready to process, his system was under a week

He didn’t invent the mouse trap or even build a better mouse trap, he packaged the mouse trap for mass distribution

Thanks for the correction/clarification.

I'm still not seeing the downside to what he built or how he made his money.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 19:10 

Post Likes: +2114
Company: FlightRepublic
Aircraft: DA40, C182
Splashdown!
The closest thing to a Mercury/Gemini mission I’ve had the opportunity to see in my lifetime. It’s thrilling to see wealthy private individuals (both Elon and Jared) start and create this.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 20:26 

Just perfect. What a great thing to see. I’ve been waiting for this since I was a kid. I thought we’d be doing these things in the 1980s. I’m glad to see that someone has picked up the torch.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 20:54 

Post Likes: +4635
Thanks for the correction/clarification.

I'm still not seeing the downside to what he built or how he made his money.

His business model is successful, no doubt

But he didn’t invent the credit card machine-

Glad the whole crew made it back safe, great job SpaceX- now when can the rest of us go?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 21:59 

Post Likes: +1126
Company: Contract King Airs Citations
Aircraft: 1972 V35B
They make it seem pretty effortless
All civvy crew. Just along for the ride in reality.

agree.....and please don't call these passengers "astronauts" . Just because you rode in an airliner, doesn't make you a pilot. I propose a new term, "astropax" . Not to diminish their historical accomplishment, but no on board pilot is required for the dragon capsule.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 22:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5715
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
agree.....and please don't call these passengers "astronauts" . Just because you rode in an airliner, doesn't make you a pilot. I propose a new term, "astropax" . Not to diminish their historical accomplishment, but no on board pilot is required for the dragon capsule.

John, you know they launched Mercury with a chimp before Al Shepard rode on it, right?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 22:48 

Post Likes: +10534
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

John, you know they launched Mercury with a chimp before Al Shepard rode on it, right?

Since the beginning of the space program, Astronaut doesn't necessarily mean Space Pilot.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 22:54 

Post Likes: +13324
Aircraft: TU-104

Let’s not confuse the nostalgia experts with actual facts.

Astronaut never meant pilot who flies a space craft. At least not until these past three civilian flights (if you even accept the first two as having reached “space”) got peoples panties in a wad.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 00:25 

Post Likes: +1126
Company: Contract King Airs Citations
Aircraft: 1972 V35B

Yes totally agree. Thats what made the origional seven so upset was that at first the engineers did not include any attitude controls. Chuck Yeager made fun of them calling them "spam in a can" too. But later they had to include a way to control the spacecraft because the way to the moon involved earth orbit and lunar orbit rendevous, mid course guidance corrections/burns, landing the lunar module etc. Those astronauts no doubt "flew" those spacecraft. I think we should just differentiate between those that flew Apollo missions and the recent other stuff. Then again, I guess anyone who ever flew on the Shuttle was an "astronaut" but there was only one trained pilot aboard...........oh well.......

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 06:49 

Post Likes: +1180
Aircraft: Velocity XL-RG
Then again, I guess anyone who ever flew on the Shuttle was an "astronaut" but there was only one trained pilot aboard...........oh well.......

I would have thought both of the front seaters on the shuttle were qualified and capable of flying the shuttle.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 07:10 

Post Likes: +13206
Company: Cogswell Cogs, LLC
Aircraft: C205
I would have thought both of the front seaters on the shuttle were qualified and capable of flying the shuttle.

Correct … and other crew members are qualified as Flight Engineer and Shift Commander and sufficiently trained to accomplish the tasks necessary to act as PIC.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 10:14 

Post Likes: +4635
This thread clearly shows who walked 4 miles in the snow uphill to get to school

They trained, they flew, they knew emergency procedures, they are more astronaut than I am, full respect and admiration to them and their achievement

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 12:09 

They trained, they flew, they knew emergency procedures, they are more astronaut than I am, full respect and admiration to them and their achievement

This.

The Mission Commander and Pilot at the very least went through the same training that any other Dragon flight crew did, including manual control of the vehicle. It was one of the requirements for the flight.

It is amusing to see people quick to dismiss this crew, but laude the qualities of an airline captain who can accomplish the entire flight with the push of a single button. The Dragon Crew missions involved no manual input. On the Crew Demo 2 mission manual control was done for demonstration and testing purposes only, and the return was fully automatic. They spent weeks on the ISS, but by these definitions they're not "astronauts" after all. Perhaps Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken shouldn't log the time.

If you're an untrained rider in the back you're a passenger. If you are qualified to fly the machine, and you're sitting at the controls, you're an Astronaut (or Pilot if it's an atmospheric vehicle, or Driver if a surface vehicle).

I agree that passengers shouldn't get Astronaut wings just for crossing some invisible line in the sky, but that's not what these people did. I'm sure they don't really much care either way given what they got to experience. I'd just smile and walk on.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 12:23 

Post Likes: +5447
Company: French major
Aircraft: Ejet

Please allow me a "nostalgic" moment, although it's not all good memories. 19, French Navy, first few rides on a Cap-10B for flight selection. Very inexperienced, the days are packed, the missions even more, and it's not training. Basically, you can't do well. Struggling is part of the game.

So one day after a rather undignified xwind landing, the IP looked at me, and said: "well, you know NASA sent monkeys to space, right? You should be able to make it...".

To make it worse, a few weeks later, following a majestically executed manoeuvre, I was feeling pretty proud of myself and for once it may have shown, so I was told the exact same thing, quickly taking me down a peg or three.

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next