banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 04:31 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: A Raptor redux. Or Peter is not the only crazy dreamer..
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2021, 06:56 

Post Likes: +1180
Aircraft: Velocity XL-RG
Username Protected wrote:
This sort of hype is pretty common.

I am in close contact with a research group at one of the big tech companies, and they are constantly getting scammed by people who have figured out a way to do nuclear fusion, or some other exotic and difficult problem. Same flashy graphics and insane performance claims.

I remember watching something on 60 minutes a while back. Google was promoting some sort of power generating device that sounded like it was the next best thing to cold fusion.

"Bloom Box" IIRC. Lunch box sized and could power a house.

Interesting that you don't see one in every house.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2021, 12:18 

Post Likes: +19424
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
I remember watching something on 60 minutes a while back. Google was promoting some sort of power generating device that sounded like it was the next best thing to cold fusion.

As important as it is to not be naïve about absurd claims and vaporware, its also important to realize that no new scientific breakthrough was met with excitement and rapid adoption. On the bleeding edge of scientific knowledge there are a lot of mistakes and mis-steps. That's how science works. Will hydrogen-electric fuel cell "micro grids' allow us to run our homes without dependence on a huge electric infrastructure? Not right now. Maybe by the time the technology is mature enough, there will be a better solution, but maybe someday it will be so normal that people will look back at today's grid, with huge towers and dangling wires and just shake their heads at the primitive nature of it all. The point is that you can't always identify a bad idea, or a great one, based on how it fits into your current paradigm.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2021, 12:26 

Post Likes: +2678
Aircraft: B55 P2
Google WAS working on cold fusion - there was s slashdot article on it.

This sort of hype is pretty common.

I am in close contact with a research group at one of the big tech companies, and they are constantly getting scammed by people who have figured out a way to do nuclear fusion, or some other exotic and difficult problem. Same flashy graphics and insane performance claims.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 12:54 

Post Likes: +1
Company: Veloce Planes
Aircraft: Veloce 600
"We're able to do this in Brazil where the labor is cheaper."

Velocity tried getting their wings made in Brazil to save money.

It did NOT work out very well.

And I like how they "compare" their aircraft to Van's, Velocity, Evolution and Cirrus. Every plane listed is flying... except theirs. :lol:

Embraer did really successful in brazil - as well as others. One of the owners of Volato worked for them for 20 years.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 12:56 

I messaged this guy and he called me back. He's a Cirrus owner and chiropractor that wanted a faster plane and decided to team up with this manufacturer.
He's a bit...... different.

Different is what it takes to accomplish anything in this world. If you are the same as everyone else you will get the same results as everyone else. So thanks for the compliment. :) Truly mean it.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 12:58 

35,000ft ?!

yes, we are shooting for that. We know we will get 28,000 ft, because the engine is 300 HP flat rated to 260 HP, and can carry 100% power to 20,000 ft. So will get 65% power at 28,000 ft for sure. and this will still only be less than half the demand on the turbo as it can carry. at 35,000 ft we need a 3.1 pressure ratio difference - and 15 PSI. just under 50% of the full capacity of the larger turbo we will be using for those who want to go about 28,000 ft.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:00 

If you don't need to worry about engine cooling (including intercoolers for 35,000' operation at 75% power), and "pressurization" means pressure masks, or of course RVSM, maybe it works.

we will be using an electric super charger for pressurization. 5.5 and 6.7 for FL 250,350 respectively. So no bleed air from engines needed. We are only planning on 65% power at FL350.

YES, emergency back up pressurized quick don masks.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:04 

Do people actually put their money down on offers like this?

yes, a few have already. you are putting your money down on the hope of a plane, and you are doing it knowing that I personally am backing it from my other businesses income. 21 years of being self employeed, and doing pretty well.
and if all that still fails, i am taking credit card deposits so you can still get your money back because i didn't deliver what the signed agreement says i will deliver. But that won't happen.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:07 

Wow, I guess I should sell my 340 and get one of these. same useful load, 2/3 the price, 2/3 the fuel, 50% faster, twice the range... and hey, they already have a wing, so it's basically a done deal.

And the company building the plane has already done 2 other models of planes - and the engineer has done 2 other planes himself, one getting type certified, and 3 others he has worked on, with a masters in aeronautical engineering from Cal Poly. And i have been successful in all of my businesses over the 21 years i have been self employed. So isn't done done, but yeah, pretty close.

340's are good metal heavy planes. We are doing composites, and weight is everything in an airplane. we are shooting for 2200 lbs empty - and if we cannot hit that, it will just decrease our 1600 lb useful load by the amount we are over. The engines weigh about the same as a cirrus engine and chute - and they are at 2300 with lots of extra steel and parts we won't be using.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:10 

I want one...

Specially going up to 35k feet
I really hope they will throw in a nice looking bridge for the same price. Been wanting to get either the Golden Gate, or the bay bridge.

yeah, we are 99% sure we can get to 35,000 ft
100% sure we can get to 28,000 ft.
we only need 3.1 pressure difference to get to 35,000 and 15 PSI
our engines are 330 HP engines flat rated to 260 - so we can carry full power to 20,000 ft, and only need 65% at 35,000 ft. and that is still only 50% load on the turbo.
But most won't go over 28,000 - and they will get the "small" (still large, but smaller than what is needed for 35,000 Ft) turbo that we know can do that already.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:11 

Do people actually put their money down on offers like this?

Yes. These grifts have been occurring for decades.

I was at OSH when the BD5 Mk I prototype caught fire. The Mk II and Mk III were very different inspite of their visual similarities. Deposits were lost.

Or; the 197x debut of the FoxJet. I do not recall the deposit situation.

Or the (198x) year than John Monet was accepting deposits at OSH for a new design, then folded the company within just a few weeks. The deposits were lost.

Or, or, or …

Thankfully, Peter was not a grifter. He returned deposits. Roy Lopresti returned Swift Fury deposits. I would love to know the backgrounds of the people funding these efforts.

At least Bede and Monet had previously delivered actual flying aircraft kits that generally met their performance goals, before going too-good-to-be-true.

Yeah, and every plane that is in existence, started out in this same place. :) But yes, only time will prove that we can do what we say we can do.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:12 

That spar looks like I could have made it in my garage. Reinforced at the corners with angle aluminum from home depot, of course!

no aluminum - all carbon fiber and fiberglass.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:13 

I think that the best is the claim to fly at 35k feet.
He had to up the level of crazy from Raptor... "Hey, he got to claim this and that, so I will claim even more...!!"
What is next?
:doh:

no, we actually said "hold my beer" hahahah

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:14 

I am leaving the choice of anti-ice technology open while we are still early in development. Rest assured it will be a very innovative solution that is far more efficient and effective than any current solution offered by other kit manufacturers.

I know it was sarcasm, but we are actually using similiar tech to that already certified in some airplanes for de-ice
https://icesight.com/

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 13:16 

Not that it matters, but wouldn’t the design have serious aft CG issue with single pilot??
Would also like to watch that 1000 ft landing!!

No, mark has figured this out 4 ways old school, and while it is near a problem, it isn't. and we are completing computers flight simulations for stability, characteristics and flutter, and so far, with all but flutter done, he is pretty accurate. In case you didn't see in the other post, mark has a masters from cal poly in aeronautical engineering. and done 2 other planes himself with one getting type certified and worked on 3 others.

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next