banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 04:04 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 140  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aircraft inventory levels are critically low.
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 10:14 

Post Likes: +254
Aircraft: Piper Mirage
As to Chip’s comment above about folks who are worth in excess of $50 million in the US, I googled it, and it is about 110,000. Not a huge number to be sure, but certainly enough to move the needle when it comes to aircraft sales if they are inclined to buy.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 10:43 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23612
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
As to Chip’s comment above about folks who are worth in excess of $50 million in the US, I googled it, and it is about 110,000. Not a huge number to be sure, but certainly enough to move the needle when it comes to aircraft sales if they are inclined to buy.

If just 1% of those, 1100 people, decide to use GA instead of airlines, that's a huge swing in the market.

The frax and jet card operators are hugely booked since that's the easiest entry point for new customers at the high end. When they start using that a lot and/or get frustrated with the scheduling problems, then they move towards having their own plane.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 11:10 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4130
Company: Looking
Aircraft: Baron/Bonanza

I have a client who bought a B200 last year, he’s coming up on double hots and he thinks he’ll upgrade the Proline 21 to G1000NXi at the same time.

If he was concerned at all he would sell the airplane. It is worth $1M more than he paid for it.

That who I think it is??

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 17:26 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: ISP Eagle II SR22 g2
Chip's post accurately defines the real market of those able to afford to replace airline transportation. It is a tiny, tiny, TINY, % of the U.S. populace. Fifty million is a pretty good guess as to the benchmark I think.

Matt's position is accurate as well.

Simply put, there is a line of demarcation between the two statements. The only question is exactly where that line is.

Anyone who thinks travel by 172's, Bonanzas, Navajos, or any other piston airplane or the lower end of the turbine market made up of out-dated worn out, 40 year old jets and TP's is going to have any impact on airline travel is simply daft.

Jg

I’m pretty sure no one here posted anything about an impact on the airlines. The airlines fly millions of hours a year transporting millions of passengers all over the world, and a spike in GA travel will not affect that in any reasonable way. We are discussing the impact on GA aircraft that are for sale. If the .001 percent that can afford it decide they wanna look into travel by GA airplane to avoid the airlines, that has a massive effect on the several hundred turbine aircraft currently on the market. At least on controller.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 18:18 

Post Likes: +3908
Aircraft: Warbirds
I know of a family that has had a jet for the last 30+ years. It had been run by a corporation until about 4 years ago when they sold off the last parts of that. 2 years ago they upgraded from a Falcon 50 to a 900 which they had refurbished the interior and paint.
The family was the 3 adult kids of the founder who had passed away several years back.
Last Nov 2 of the 3 families decided they no longer wanted the jet. 1 of the 3 used it the most but all paid equal amounts into the ops and flight dept cost.
It was gone by the end of Dec.
Now I hear they use Netjets.

So I guess nothing is forever.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 18:32 

Post Likes: +4509
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless
I know of a family that has had a jet for the last 30+ years. It had been run by a corporation until about 4 years ago when they sold off the last parts of that. 2 years ago they upgraded from a Falcon 50 to a 900 which they had refurbished the interior and paint.
The family was the 3 adult kids of the founder who had passed away several years back.
Last Nov 2 of the 3 families decided they no longer wanted the jet. 1 of the 3 used it the most but all paid equal amounts into the ops and flight dept cost.
It was gone by the end of Dec.
Now I hear they use Netjets.

So I guess nothing is forever.

It can change in a heartbeat. During the financial crisis of ‘08, a money crunch and no small amount of political shaming cleared out a lot of flight departments.

The business can turn on a dime.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 19:20 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
50 to an upgraded 900 is a pretty big jump $wise.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 19:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7244
Company: Jet Acquisitions
I have a client who bought a B200 last year, he’s coming up on double hots and he thinks he’ll upgrade the Proline 21 to G1000NXi at the same time.

Chip, is it common for non pilot owners to invest in avionics upgrades? Not speculating on whether this guy is a pilot or not, just wondering if there's a "sweet spot" on the KA line where you would see Garmin upgrades on older birds. For example: 350's would be less likely to have new glass as they are mostly professional flown as compared to 90's which would have a higher concentration of owner flown.

This particular client is an owner pilot, and yes it is more common to see avionics upgrades in owner flown airplanes. In general you'll see more "glass" in 90 series King Airs, since they are owner flown and there's a lot of options, G600, G1000 etc. The 350 is less common, often pro flown and the G1000 is the only option.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 19:29 

WWW  Profile

If just 1% of those, 1100 people, decide to use GA instead of airlines, that's a huge swing in the market.

The frax and jet card operators are hugely booked since that's the easiest entry point for new customers at the high end. When they start using that a lot and/or get frustrated with the scheduling problems, then they move towards having their own plane.

Mike C.

Exactly. There are only 38,780 turbine aircraft (non airliner) in the United States... that's total, all turboprops and all jets. Historically, we expect about 6% of a fleet to be for sale. So even 1100 buyers is a huge swing.

This isn't a bubble as we have seen in the past, this is a shift in demand and most likely a permanent one.

It stinks for buying airplanes right now, but it is overall very good for our industry and all of those who support it. Pilots, maintenance, avionics, management, logistics, etc.

This is also huge for aircraft manufacturing in the US, think about what an impact Textron, Cirrus, Piper and Gulfstream have on the US economy!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 19:29 

WWW  Profile

If he was concerned at all he would sell the airplane. It is worth $1M more than he paid for it.

That who I think it is??

Yessir!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 19:30 

WWW  Profile

It can change in a heartbeat. During the financial crisis of ‘08, a money crunch and no small amount of political shaming cleared out a lot of flight departments.

The business can turn on a dime.

That is a FACT!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 22:21 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Chip's post accurately defines the real market of those able to afford to replace airline transportation. It is a tiny, tiny, TINY, % of the U.S. populace. Fifty million is a pretty good guess as to the benchmark I think.

Matt's position is accurate as well.

Simply put, there is a line of demarcation between the two statements. The only question is exactly where that line is.

Anyone who thinks travel by 172's, Bonanzas, Navajos, or any other piston airplane or the lower end of the turbine market made up of out-dated worn out, 40 year old jets and TP's is going to have any impact on airline travel is simply daft.

Jg

I’m pretty sure no one here posted anything about an impact on the airlines. The airlines fly millions of hours a year transporting millions of passengers all over the world, and a spike in GA travel will not affect that in any reasonable way. We are discussing the impact on GA aircraft that are for sale. If the .001 percent that can afford it decide they wanna look into travel by GA airplane to avoid the airlines, that has a massive effect on the several hundred turbine aircraft currently on the market. At least on controller.

Israel,

:bugeye: One of us missed something. A significant portion of this threat, I thought, was about people moving to GA aircraft to avoid the airlines? :scratch: :scratch:

Jg

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 22:25 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Solipsism is a practically universal human trait. It is certainly a very American one, especially as it pertains to the rest of the world. And yet it is a fundamental fallacy. Almost no one thinks the way we do. At least outside of the socio/economic/demographic group we swim in.

That's why many can't understand, no matter how hard they try, why others do what they do. The problem is that they look at other's decisions through their own lens of values, capabilities and so on. So, you end up with threads populated with comments like this one where a very practical, experienced comment by someone like Chip can be debated, denied, and completely misunderstood.

The fact is, with respect to the comments Chip has made about wealthy people and their capabilities, he's right. It's true that many wealthy people have traditionally flown the airlines. And Covid by itself didn't trigger a large rush to jet cards and airplane ownership. It was just a tipping point. That tipping point came after an increasingly, over years, decline in service, convenience and comfort. Covid, with it's increased hassles, health risks (real and perceived), reduced service, convenience and comfort coupled by dramatic increases in boorish behavior on the part of other flyers has probably pushed many over the edge.

And, when you can afford to make a different choice, and you start looking at options, flying privately gets very attractive. And if you can afford it why would you want to ever go back to the worsening experience I've described. You wouldn't. And it has nothing to do with the economic issues of the last couple of years.

Are there some who are flush with PPP money burning a hole in their pockets? Yes, I'm sure there are. But the people who can afford to buy, on cash or credit, multimillion dollar airplanes aren't usually the foolish rubes some of you tend to think.

The "millionaire next door" is a real phenomenon in the U.S. These are people who save, invest and live frugally and likely would never fly privately. They are "rich". But they are far from the only ones. Many others have generational wealth. But, just by the numbers most "millionaires" (not necessarily rich) and a majority of the "ultra high net worth" people Chip is describing, and who are fueling the buying boom we're talking about made their own money. They might sell their planes later but, as he points out, it won't be because they have to.

For those not like them their behavior violates norms, defies understanding, in some engenders jealousy and envy, but on the whole is just not rational or understandable. Solipsism rules and leads to error.

I blandly suggested to my wife that we could sell our airplane for a nice profit in the current market. She didn't care to because we'd have to take the airlines to our home in California which she doesn't want to do. Me either. And not just because I'm a pilot but because I intensely dislike all the attributes of commercial flying today that I listed above. It has nothing to do with PPP, Mainstreet, COVID, or any other current event. It looks like I have plenty of company.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 13:41 

Post Likes: +2381
Aircraft: Citation Mustang
I think the current surge in the prices for jets is reflective of their actual value in the real world. A well maintained jet lasts a long time and it’s performance and capabilities don’t deteriorate over time. Thus, why should its price deteriorate more than the asset itself? I think the low values we saw in prior years were unusually low and suppressed by a lack of buyers. Now the shoe has moved to the other foot and will likely stay there for a while.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 14:37 

Post Likes: +5100
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
Learned a new word today from Tony:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/solipsism

One never stops learning!

Sven

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 140  Next