banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 17:58 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 140  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aircraft inventory levels are critically low.
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 01:03 

Post Likes: +187
Aircraft: Vans RV-6; Archer II
Username Protected wrote:
When I was a senior in high school, I had two afternoon and weekend jobs. Both paid minimum wage of $1.40 an hour which would be $11.65 today. I haven't paid minimum wage in my businesses since the late 70's when it failed to keep up with inflation. Even the high school concession workers at the theater have been paid more.

For decades now, businesses have abounded that paid 80% of their employees less than a "head of household" wage. I am one of the few business men I know who have seen the increase in wages as a result of covid as, mostly, a good thing.

There are some gross discrepancies in our country and a heck of a lot more in our world. There is something amiss when corporate executives make hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars more than the bulk of the company's employees.

The larger problem is that nothing is "fixed". We are moving into a technological world where training, education, and brains are a requirement for meaningful employment. A freighting percentage of our population will have none of the three: but they will have the vote.

That is not a political statement though some of the mentally challenged here will see it as one.

Civilization is going to have to deal with issues here to fore unimagined in the near coming years.

Jg

You are correct, this is not a political issue... it is an ethical, societal issue. Trends in CEO multiples from 1960s until now vs average employee multiples are horrific.

Would the business survive without the lowest paid employee? What about the ceo? Same question, but what about return on investment / shareholder roi?

We live in a society of ideas. If you have them, your ceiling is unlimited. If you don’t, life is hard. And by hard, I mean better than 99.5% of all humans of all stations who have preceded you (including royalty).

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 10:08 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
I'm with you Robert. "Let them eat cake". :thumbup:

Jg

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 10:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
So, I was wondering, what do you guys think of the inventory of airplanes? Is it critically low? :D

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 12:37 

Post Likes: +49
Bill

Respectfully, I disagree.

The Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) is a federal government “program” designed to make restaurant businesses conduct business in an environment of Wage Subsidy via tips if the worker earns more than $30 per month. (How generous of them!)... The common theory driving down a workers wage by Federal mandate is that restaurants survive on razor thin margins.

Many businesses survive on razor thin margins HOWEVER the restaurant LOBBY is very powerful and helped enact such laws for the people with the help of politicians all too ready to receive their donations. Same situation occurs in many industries such as Petroleum, Agriculture, the Arts, pretty much everything.

Customers who Tip do so out of appreciation for the excellent service provided which is their private decision. The workers appreciate this even more because the FEDS have set up a restaurant work environment devoid of free trade for the benefit of the employer. To illustrate the opposite as mentioned earlier (Dubai frowns on such “free trade” as bribery) is defined by the overzealous government rule. Further stealing by taxing the wages applies negative pressure on a workers desire to succeed and strive in the marketplace. Yet people inherently do whatever they can just to survive.

Obviously neither system is a fair free market system. IF the thinkers create jobs by innovation BUT the market decides their success or failure by the FEDS it is politically predetermined. Any wage should be set by the FREE market and not aloof government bureaucrats in DC.

In the interest of tipping Line guys in Aviation (I think it is ok if it is your decision because of past experience or you know them personally, whatever etc.) and without getting into which Presidents enforced the FLSA, I better stop here.

Eric

You have it completely backwards. There is no federal mandate driving down wages in restaurants. Show me where it says you can not pay workers over a certain amount. To the contrary it eliminates an artificial floor (minimum wage) to what would be a natural supply/demand market of labor. Furthermore its a mute point as supply/demand for labor overwhelmingly exceeds min wage. Ask any restaurant operator these days, you can't even get high school kids to work for minimum wage in most states.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 12:52 

Post Likes: +500
Aircraft: Pitts S-2B
So, I was wondering, what do you guys think of the inventory of airplanes? Is it critically low? :D

Every time

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 13:23 

Post Likes: +2222
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441

Every time

It's almost always a political issue, it feels like a solid 1/3 of the posts on Beechtalk now have some political component, and some are just overtly political, like the "all people from california are X aren't welcome <wherever the poster lives>" stuff in another thread where one poster (maybe to their credit, at least they are honest) just openly slammed everyone of a particular political persuasion.

It gets eyeballs which helps ads. I don't know if beechtalk is for profit or not but they seem to ban people much faster for doing anything remotely commercial without paying them but political stuff finds its way into just about every thread. Hopefully I don't get banned!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 13:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23613
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
There is no federal mandate driving down wages in restaurants.

Effectively, there is when the minimum wage laws have an exception for "tipping jobs" that set a much lower level than regular jobs.

The fastest way to make tipping less prevalent is to repeal the minimum wage exception for tipping jobs.

Restaurants will then collect the tips for themselves, not to the wait staff, since they are paying the wait staff more.

Patrons will know this and stop tipping as much if at all, or the tip will be rightfully directed at the entire establishment and not just the server.

Now we are back to a more sane method of paying wait staff.

It will be a sudden shift when this change goes into effect, but the outcome would be better.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 14:10 

Post Likes: +49

Effectively, there is when the minimum wage laws have an exception for "tipping jobs" that set a much lower level than regular jobs.

The fastest way to make tipping less prevalent is to repeal the minimum wage exception for tipping jobs.

Restaurants will then collect the tips for themselves, not to the wait staff, since they are paying the wait staff more.

Patrons will know this and stop tipping as much if at all, or the tip will be rightfully directed at the entire establishment and not just the server.

It will be a sudden shift when this change goes into effect, but the outcome would be better.

Mike C.

I fail to see how that comes into play when the supply and and demand is such that you can’t pay the lower min wage and actually attract any employees. May have been the case once but isn’t now. It’s irrelevant what you are legally allowed to pay if that’s not the reality of what you have to pay.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 14:30 

Post Likes: +1240

Mike C.

You're basically advocating the European approach, which I personally prefer. I find it more egalitarian and dignified.

But a lot of US restaurant patrons may not like that model, because it gives less incentive to wait staff to provide fast, attentive service.

Have to admit that the US tipping model has persisted for a long time because it's viewed on balance as a win-win for patrons, staff and restaurant owners.

Don't really want to discuss this much more as it raises my blood pressure, but to kill the thread drift I started a new thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=203284

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 20:15 

Tony,

For my part in this thread drift from a crucially relevant topic, I apologize and beg your understanding. :bow: :bow:

Jg

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 20:56 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58

You are correct, this is not a political issue... it is an ethical, societal issue. Trends in CEO multiples from 1960s until now vs average employee multiples are horrific.

Would the business survive without the lowest paid employee? What about the ceo? Same question, but what about return on investment / shareholder roi?

We live in a society of ideas. If you have them, your ceiling is unlimited. If you don’t, life is hard. And by hard, I mean better than 99.5% of all humans of all stations who have preceded you (including royalty).

If a business does not survive without the CEO it is not a business... it is a cult. Good organizations have depth. Nearly all good organizations are much more than one person.

quote authors above are flip flopped.... I am hopeless with embedded quotes

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 21:02 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58
s until now vs average employee multiples are horrific.

Bill

The Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) is a federal government “program” designed to make restaurant businesses conduct business in an environment of Wage Subsidy via tips if the worker earns more than $30 per month. (How generous of them!)... The common theory driving down a workers wage by Federal mandate is that restaurants survive on razor thin margins.

Many businesses survive on razor thin margins HOWEVER the restaurant LOBBY is very powerful and helped enact such laws for the people with the help of politicians all too ready to receive their donations. Same situation occurs in many industries such as Petroleum, Agriculture, the Arts, pretty much everything.

Customers who Tip do so out of appreciation for the excellent service provided which is their private decision. The workers appreciate this even more because the FEDS have set up a restaurant work environment devoid of free trade for the benefit of the employer. To illustrate the opposite as mentioned earlier (Dubai frowns on such “free trade” as bribery) is defined by the overzealous government rule. Further stealing by taxing the wages applies negative pressure on a workers desire to succeed and strive in the marketplace. Yet people inherently do whatever they can just to survive.

Obviously neither system is a fair free market system. IF the thinkers create jobs by innovation BUT the market decides their success or failure by the FEDS it is politically predetermined. Any wage should be set by the FREE market and not aloof government bureaucrats in DC.

In the interest of tipping Line guys in Aviation (I think it is ok if it is your decision because of past experience or you know them personally, whatever etc.) and without getting into which Presidents enforced the FLSA, I better stop here.

Eric[/quote]

Eric, I was not responding to restaurant workers. Was highlighting a broader and more insidious trend in overall income disparity.

My apologies if unclear, and my appreciation for the explanation on the restaurant laws.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 21:05 

Bill,

I agree about the "not one man" statement.

Then, I have to ask, I said what??

:D

Jg

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 23:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +194
s until now vs average employee multiples are horrific.

Bill

Eric

Eric, I was not responding to restaurant workers. Was highlighting a broader and more insidious trend in overall income disparity.

My apologies if unclear, and my appreciation for the explanation on the restaurant laws.[/quote]

-------------------- page break...

Humm

Eric evans never wrote that. im a bit confused how my name can be inserted in a quote I never wrote. Question for the Jeff's I suspect. quite disconcerting regarding thread post integrity.

Bill. I appreciate your mention of the labor laws and all else but I never wrote what is inserted with my name. I don't know what the heck is going on with this post. something is very wrong when a persons name is inserted via quote with something they never wrote.

therefore im out of this discussion. good luck folks and thank you Chip for creating the topic.

Eric

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 00:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7255
Company: Jet Acquisitions
From the East to the West, is how far reaching this thread is…

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 140  Next