banner
banner

25 Apr 2024, 16:24 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 140  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aircraft inventory levels are critically low.
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 00:27 

Post Likes: +661
Hot latin chics? Now you’re talking.

How much do you tip the line guys? Often 3 guys will be there. One to marshall, one to chock the wheels, one with the rental car/carry the bags. Do you tip all 3? On departure there will be 3 different guys. Do you tip again? How much? Even when you’re paying $7/gallon for fuel, a $200 ramp fee and $150/ night parking?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 00:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
How much do you tip the line guys?

Nothing.

If you have to ask what is customary, then you aren't really using the tip as reward for exceptional service, but as some sort of payroll supplement for routine service.

Quote:
Do you tip all 3? On departure there will be 3 different guys. Do you tip again? How much? Even when you’re paying $7/gallon for fuel, a $200 ramp fee and $150/ night parking?

These questions are basically trying to figure out what is expected or customary. I sure hope line service is not already an expected tipping situation.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 01:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1881
Company: Jcrane, Inc.
Aircraft: C441, RV7A
I carry a wad of $5's in my flight bag.

Some get none, most get one, a few get many.

It's really pretty simple.

This method has worked for thousands of years.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 03:53 

Post Likes: +1264
I saw a video where the Diamond factory delivery pilots carry small gifts that they give the line guys instead of money. Even fruit sometimes for the line guys in Greenland (hard to get nice fruit there I guess).

I used to hand out small flashlights, sometimes with my company name laser engraved, as gifts when I wasn't sure if a tip was expected. Usually was very appreciated and had the added benefit of advertising my business. Seemed less awkward than giving cash.

If I ever get a plane maybe I'll get a whole bunch of small flashlights or pens and put my N-number on them.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 10:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1345
Aircraft: 1968 B55
Not to belabor a point, but I've eaten at quite a few CCFs and on average, they are well above average as far as service is concerned.

To bump this topic slightly back towards the aviation realm…

CCF is well known for their heavy use of standardization and checklists. Gawande wrote about this in 2012 (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/13/big-med) and it's no less true today. They got the idea from, guess where, part 121 ops.

Now, *adherence* to the checklist is a completely different problem, as we all know too well. Having the skill and discipline to use the checklist regularly is something that strikes me as a common problem at CCFs, at least the ones I've been to.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 10:52 

Post Likes: +564
Aircraft: PC-24 Citabria 7GCBC
When I was a lineman 30 years ago, I appreciated a tip. I loved earning it by doing whatever extra that I could do. It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had.

Mr. peoples was a C-182 owner that was based in the FBO’s community hangar. Each Christmas Mr. Peoples gave all of the linemen a nice cash gift. Was it totally equitable? Probably not, but it showed me the heart he had and I told myself I would replicate that someday, which I do today. Mr. People’s 182 had the cleanest windscreen and leading edges in the hangar.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 10:59 

Post Likes: +1644
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
Limo driver opens the door and installs PAX. Pilot a pitches bags down to Pilot b until both are exhausted. Pilot b stacks the luggage into said limo. Pilot b hands limo driver $$$$ tip. Pilots a&b scratch head. Limo driver drives away happy.
Time for a grudge steak and lobster.

Last edited on 19 Dec 2021, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 11:18 

Post Likes: +159
My plane partner and I tip the line staff collectively via the FBO manager at my home base every Christmas season. And they know us and help us out a lot during the year with various things. I don’t generally tip as a transient unless someone really goes over the top to help me out; e.g., I really appreciated one guy’s help at Henderson, NV summer before last getting the cover on our M600 on a very windy and super hot summer day. That was tip-worthy IMO.

Don’t get me started on restaurants and expected tipping … :)

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 12:54 

Post Likes: +1264
Really sorry about the thread drift, but anyone else encounter the "towel and perfume guy" in those trendy LA restaurants who blocks the paper towel dispenser, hands you a towel himself, offers perfume and then expects a tip?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 12:58 

Post Likes: +4652
Really sorry about the thread drift, but anyone else encounter the "towel and perfume guy" in those trendy LA restaurants who blocks the paper towel dispenser, hands you a towel himself, offers perfume and then expects a tip?

“Trendy LA restaurants” is a weird way to describe a strip club

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 14:32 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58
When I was a senior in high school, I had two afternoon and weekend jobs. Both paid minimum wage of $1.40 an hour which would be $11.65 today. I haven't paid minimum wage in my businesses since the late 70's when it failed to keep up with inflation. Even the high school concession workers at the theater have been paid more.

For decades now, businesses have abounded that paid 80% of their employees less than a "head of household" wage. I am one of the few business men I know who have seen the increase in wages as a result of covid as, mostly, a good thing.

There are some gross discrepancies in our country and a heck of a lot more in our world. There is something amiss when corporate executives make hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars more than the bulk of the company's employees.

The larger problem is that nothing is "fixed". We are moving into a technological world where training, education, and brains are a requirement for meaningful employment. A freighting percentage of our population will have none of the three: but they will have the vote.

That is not a political statement though some of the mentally challenged here will see it as one.

Civilization is going to have to deal with issues here to fore unimagined in the near coming years.

Jg

You are correct, this is not a political issue... it is an ethical, societal issue. Trends in CEO multiples from 1960s until now vs average employee multiples are horrific.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 14:38 

Post Likes: +209
Aircraft: B100
But seriously, how does everyone feel about Cow tipping???

“Cow tipping is the purported activity of sneaking up on any unsuspecting or sleeping upright cow and pushing it over for entertainment.” :lol:

:btt:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 16:01 

Post Likes: +49
But seriously, how does everyone feel about Cow tipping???

“Cow tipping is the purported activity of sneaking up on any unsuspecting or sleeping upright cow and pushing it over for entertainment.” :lol:

:btt:

I’m from Wisconsin, it’s not proported.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 16:10 

Post Likes: +312
Aircraft: C182
I saw a video where the Diamond factory delivery pilots carry small gifts that they give the line guys instead of money. Even fruit sometimes for the line guys in Greenland (hard to get nice fruit there I guess).

I used to hand out small flashlights, sometimes with my company name laser engraved, as gifts when I wasn't sure if a tip was expected. Usually was very appreciated and had the added benefit of advertising my business. Seemed less awkward than giving cash.

If I ever get a plane maybe I'll get a whole bunch of small flashlights or pens and put my N-number on them.

When visiting Mexico, the Federales (17 yr. olds with M-16s) really appreciate granola bars and other treats that don’t need refrigeration. They can’t leave the airport to spend $. Once we had a heart to heart talk with the group en Español promising a cold liter of Coca Cola each upon return if they particularly took good care of our plane. Well, we forgot and expected the worst! But another detail was on duty so all went well.

Best,

Tom

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 23:26 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +194
When I was a senior in high school, I had two afternoon and weekend jobs. Both paid minimum wage of $1.40 an hour which would be $11.65 today. I haven't paid minimum wage in my businesses since the late 70's when it failed to keep up with inflation. Even the high school concession workers at the theater have been paid more.

For decades now, businesses have abounded that paid 80% of their employees less than a "head of household" wage. I am one of the few business men I know who have seen the increase in wages as a result of covid as, mostly, a good thing.

There are some gross discrepancies in our country and a heck of a lot more in our world. There is something amiss when corporate executives make hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars more than the bulk of the company's employees.

The larger problem is that nothing is "fixed". We are moving into a technological world where training, education, and brains are a requirement for meaningful employment. A freighting percentage of our population will have none of the three: but they will have the vote.

That is not a political statement though some of the mentally challenged here will see it as one.

Civilization is going to have to deal with issues here to fore unimagined in the near coming years.

Jg

You are correct, this is not a political issue... it is an ethical, societal issue. Trends in CEO multiples from 1960s until now vs average employee multiples are horrific.

Bill

Respectfully, I disagree.

The Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) is a federal government “program” designed to make restaurant businesses conduct business in an environment of Wage Subsidy via tips if the worker earns more than $30 per month. (How generous of them!)... The common theory driving down a workers wage by Federal mandate is that restaurants survive on razor thin margins.

Many businesses survive on razor thin margins HOWEVER the restaurant LOBBY is very powerful and helped enact such laws for the people with the help of politicians all too ready to receive their donations. Same situation occurs in many industries such as Petroleum, Agriculture, the Arts, pretty much everything.

Customers who Tip do so out of appreciation for the excellent service provided which is their private decision. The workers appreciate this even more because the FEDS have set up a restaurant work environment devoid of free trade for the benefit of the employer. To illustrate the opposite as mentioned earlier (Dubai frowns on such “free trade” as bribery) is defined by the overzealous government rule. Further stealing by taxing the wages applies negative pressure on a workers desire to succeed and strive in the marketplace. Yet people inherently do whatever they can just to survive.

Obviously neither system is a fair free market system. IF the thinkers create jobs by innovation BUT the market decides their success or failure by the FEDS it is politically predetermined. Any wage should be set by the FREE market and not aloof government bureaucrats in DC.

In the interest of tipping Line guys in Aviation (I think it is ok if it is your decision because of past experience or you know them personally, whatever etc.) and without getting into which Presidents enforced the FLSA, I better stop here.

Eric

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 140  Next