banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 10:42 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 140  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aircraft inventory levels are critically low.
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2022, 22:59 

Post Likes: +483
Aircraft: 2020 Gamebird GB1
Back to the original title of this thread…

I saw an article online that the real estate frenzy in Boise (one of the hottest markets in the US) may be cooling.

Any sense out there that the airplane market is softening?

I saw where a used Cirrus sold for more than a factory new, albeit with a 8-12 month wait.

Butch

KTPF/KVDF

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 04:19 

Post Likes: +859
Username Protected wrote:

I saw an article online that the real estate frenzy in Boise (one of the hottest markets in the US) may be cooling.

We are at 2007 with real estate craziness.

I don’t know what I don’t know

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 08:20 

Post Likes: +486
Aircraft: C90
I have two guns that I treasure.

First is the Winchester Model 12 that my dad gave me when I was seven. I killed a dove on my first shot with him standing at my side.

The other is the S & W Model 15 that I provided to my mother when my dad died. An intruder broke into her house to rob and kill her (stabbed her sitter 16 times but the sitter lived). She put three 38's in his chest before he could hit the floor.

Beautiful gun. :thumbup:

Jg

Well Sir, just when I think you may be running out of remarkable real life stories… I eagerly await the next. :cheers:

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 08:31 

Post Likes: +17162
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Mark,

I have not led a remarkable life. I have had the treasure of being surrounded by remarkable people. Remarkable not for their achievements but for their character.

It is hard to impress me these days. I have walked with the best. :bow:

Jg

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 08:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +10020
Aircraft: '68 36 (E-19)
A wise man once said "If you don't want your jet, give it to me and I'll fly it".

In fact, I've said it many times and so far, no donations.
:shrug:

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 10:33 

Post Likes: +226
Aircraft: 1969 Aerostar 600,
Mark,

I have not led a remarkable life. I have had the treasure of being surrounded by remarkable people. Remarkable not for their achievements but for their character.

It is hard to impress me these days. I have walked with the best. :bow:

Jg

I’m impressed John…

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 10:49 

Post Likes: +4520
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless
A wise gentleman told me “You are a slave to your possessions “.

He was a very wise gentleman.

Jg

I heard another say "You never see Hearses with trailer hitches"...

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 11:30 

Post Likes: +159
“You can’t take it with you…” “Live like you’re dying…” “Seize the day…” “Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it can buy you some fun…and it beats being poor.” Or what my Dad told me when I was 14 and he decided we needed to have “the talk.” “Son,” he said while shaving, “there’s no reason for a girl to get pregnant with a drugstore on every corner.” Lol
That was the extent of our ‘birds and bees’ discussion… great guy and I miss him; he would have been 110 last week (made it almost to 97 like a lot of other WW2 vets).

In any case, I decided to retire a couple years ago (effective at the end of this year) when I realized that I had “enough” to live comfortably, buy and fly airplanes (as noted above, not to buy or fly ALL of them but at least SOME of them). Told my kids not to expect much when I go. Even tried to have Chip help me spend some of my money … *laughing* but wound up with a friend instead of the CJ or Mustang I thought I wanted, and went another jet route.

As my 27-year old daughter told me when she visited me last December, “Dad, I’ve known you all my life (duh lol), but this is the happiest I have ever seen you.” And, you know, she’s right. Once you give up the need to “get more,” life gets a lot better and you get a LOT happier!

Cheers all and have a great holiday weekend!

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 13:02 

Post Likes: +17162
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
“You can’t take it with you…” “Live like you’re dying…” “Seize the day…” “Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it can buy you some fun…and it beats being poor.” Or what my Dad told me when I was 14 and he decided we needed to have “the talk.” “Son,” he said while shaving, “there’s no reason for a girl to get pregnant with a drugstore on every corner.” Lol
That was the extent of our ‘birds and bees’ discussion… great guy and I miss him; he would have been 110 last week (made it almost to 97 like a lot of other WW2 vets).

In any case, I decided to retire a couple years ago (effective at the end of this year) when I realized that I had “enough” to live comfortably, buy and fly airplanes (as noted above, not to buy or fly ALL of them but at least SOME of them). Told my kids not to expect much when I go. Even tried to have Chip help me spend some of my money … *laughing* but wound up with a friend instead of the CJ or Mustang I thought I wanted, and went another jet route.

As my 27-year old daughter told me when she visited me last December, “Dad, I’ve known you all my life (duh lol), but this is the happiest I have ever seen you.” And, you know, she’s right. Once you give up the need to “get more,” life gets a lot better and you get a LOT happier!

Cheers all and have a great holiday weekend!

Amen brother. :peace:

I'm sitting here conspiring with my BT friends while Karen is playing "Cry Me A River" on her Steinway. When she finishes, it's my turn. I'd rather be right here than in the left seat of any airplane ever made.

Jg

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2022, 18:23 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58

Scary thing is that we may be at 2007-2008 with real estate craziness.
That is likely to be compounded with early 1980s interest and mortgage rates
as the Fed attempts, likely too late, to reign in inflation.

People forget that we had double digit long term rates for quite a while.
If they return, all bets are off.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2022, 19:37 

Post Likes: +8017
Aircraft: C-182

And we may be in the same boat with used airplane prices, I think a perfect storm is brewing but would like to be proven wrong.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2022, 20:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +782
Aircraft: Piaggio P180, TTx
No question a 25% discount is coming to aircraft pricing - and some 50%.... but when is the question? This year? Next year? The year after? For some of us those years are years we cant get back flying the airplanes we want to fly. There aren't any bumper hitches on hearses.

As someone buying an airplane right now thats a pretty scary thought. For those buyers like me the best option is to

1. Buy less airplane than you can for the best price you can.
2. Do NOT finance it. If you can pay for it buy it, if you cant...wait.
3. Make sure the airplane you are buying will serve your needs for the next 10 years allowing you to overcome any short term crash.
4. Buy an airplane that has upgrade options to allow yourself ways to improve it as time goes along prolonging your need to take that inevitable hit when you sell.
5, Hope for the best! But remember, its better to be flying an overpriced airplane than sitting on the ground looking at Controller.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2022, 23:20 

Post Likes: +340
Aircraft: In market
I’m in market and flying/riding in a bunch of different planes with a 10 year plan. I agree something has to happen but I fear it will be ugly. I’m not a buyer in this market but I’m planning.

Side note: Mark, did you find a pilot to ferry your new bird?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2022, 23:48 

Post Likes: +3602
Aircraft: Piper M600

Why not? Interest rates are low, inflation is coming. If you can have somebody else buy it for you and you rent it at low interest rates, why not? In a few years the interest on that loan is going to look spectacular, and the inflation will make the principal on that loan look trivial. Use your cash to do something useful, invest in something that will grow at a rate in excess of inflation. I have never understood that philosophy. Almost think it is an ingrained sacred cow, but a fallacy, propagated by financial types. :scratch:

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2022, 02:45 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +782
Aircraft: Piaggio P180, TTx

Why not? Interest rates are low, inflation is coming. If you can have somebody else buy it for you and you rent it at low interest rates, why not? In a few years the interest on that loan is going to look spectacular, and the inflation will make the principal on that loan look trivial. Use your cash to do something useful, invest in something that will grow at a rate in excess of inflation. I have never understood that philosophy. Almost think it is an ingrained sacred cow, but a fallacy, propagated by financial types. :scratch:

In bad economic times the airplane is the first to go… but no one’s buying. So now you have a payment when you don’t need or want one and might need the money to help feed your failing business that you speak about (you know, that investment) … when the bad times come those with less debt survive and those with no debt profit. But what do I know? I’ve only been through 4 of them.

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 140  Next