banner
banner

28 Apr 2024, 18:51 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aircraft inventory levels are critically low.
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2023, 12:42 

Post Likes: +226
Aircraft: 99 Ovation 02
Here you go

https://www.malibuaerospace.com/product ... r-wash-kit

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2023, 13:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23623
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
Here you go

None of those match the PWC compressor wash system schematic in my JT15D-5A manual:
Attachment:
pwc-compressor-wash-system.png

30 gallons of fluids, 3 pressure gauges, shop air connection, 2 filters, 7 valves, and some sort of electronic valve timer.

Really?

Mike C.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2023, 18:34 

Post Likes: +602
Company: Docking Drawer
Aircraft: C425
I built a rinse cart which is just used for compressor and turbine rinses, not washes. I believe for salt mitigation you just need a distilled water rinse, not a wash. My kit was about $200 in parts plus a little time for assembly (not including the proprietary rinse nozzle from PWC for the PT6). I can do rinses by myself on a PT6 using a remote switch that I run through the storm window into the cockpit.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 11:54 

Post Likes: +8044
Aircraft: C-182
Every flight seems excessive, but considering the salt content in the air down there, I guess I could see it.

As I recall, most of the engines I worked on had a schedule for wash, either being every 100 hours or so, or when turbine temps were trending higher at a set N1 (the rationale being a dirty compressor was aerodynamically less efficient requiring more work from the turbine to reach the desired fan speed).

The only customer that utilized a more frequent wash schedule (approx every three days as I recall) was the US Coast Guard, which literally had planes sitting in saltwater at certain bases (like Miami).

I’d be curious which engine manufacturer and model is recommending a daily wash.

As an aside, back in the day we had a number of different methods for doing the wash routine. One apparatus was a wand that extended into the inlet (biz jet application), with a cuff conforming to the leading edge (and held down with sandbags). A concept we developed and tested (but never made into production) was a manifold built into the fan frame with a quick disconnect on the nacelle.

Today, your biggest issue may be environmental restrictions which many airports have with running the wash fluid onto the tarmac. For this reason, Pratt devised their EcoWash system, which captures and recycles the wash solution. If you’ve got a million, you can probably persuade Pratt to part with one. Otherwise, you may need to find a local vendor who has a unit.

Art

Whatever happened to throwing a bag of walnut shells into the inlet with the engine spooled up? ;)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 18:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7357
Company: Jet Acquisitions
As I recall, most of the engines I worked on had a schedule for wash, either being every 100 hours or so, or when turbine temps were trending higher at a set N1 (the rationale being a dirty compressor was aerodynamically less efficient requiring more work from the turbine to reach the desired fan speed).

The only customer that utilized a more frequent wash schedule (approx every three days as I recall) was the US Coast Guard, which literally had planes sitting in saltwater at certain bases (like Miami).

I’d be curious which engine manufacturer and model is recommending a daily wash.

As an aside, back in the day we had a number of different methods for doing the wash routine. One apparatus was a wand that extended into the inlet (biz jet application), with a cuff conforming to the leading edge (and held down with sandbags). A concept we developed and tested (but never made into production) was a manifold built into the fan frame with a quick disconnect on the nacelle.

Today, your biggest issue may be environmental restrictions which many airports have with running the wash fluid onto the tarmac. For this reason, Pratt devised their EcoWash system, which captures and recycles the wash solution. If you’ve got a million, you can probably persuade Pratt to part with one. Otherwise, you may need to find a local vendor who has a unit.

Art

Whatever happened to throwing a bag of walnut shells into the inlet with the engine spooled up? ;)

Better put that in green... someone might do it! :doh:

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 18:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +237
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
A compressor wash is different than a compressor rinse. They use a little different solution and it's a bit more in-depth. The idea is to get any build up off to try to restore power and lower temps.

A compressor rinse / de-sal is intended to get the salt off the components after flying near salt water.

A citation service center charges about $300/engine for this. An indy shop charges us about $150/engine.

-The Citation Jet Exchange

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 18:42 

WWW  Profile

Art

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 19:58 

Post Likes: +161
Aircraft: Bonanza A36TN

I worked with an old fellow, started flying the the 1930’s, worked for Convair in San Diego. I remember him telling me that’s how they did it back the day, though my recollection is that they were ground walnut shells.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 23:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23623
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V

Using ground up walnut shells to clean jet engines is a known process that was used in the past and still is approved for some engines (typically airline types).

The walnut shells are inexpensive, and have the right softness to not damage the metal but the right hardness to knock off buildups.

I haven't seen anything that suggests it is approved for PT6 or JT15D, however, but it is a valid idea.

Filtered and ground walnut shells are sold and still used to clean things like steam turbines.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2023, 11:21 

WWW  Profile

I was more concerned about the person throwing the shells into the engine, than the engine itself.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2023, 11:34 

Post Likes: +13592
Aircraft: TU-104
I was more concerned about the person throwing the shells into the engine, than the engine itself.

Just make sure they aren't wearing anything metal. No belt buckles, keys or phones in pockets, etc. and the engine should be fine.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 08:00 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +237
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
Looking at mainly the Citation 525 market we could be in for an tough Q4 for buyers.

Every year come November I get an influx of requests to buy a plane ASAP for tax reasons by the end of the year. The planes are already picked through by that point.

My advice, start serious shopping now if you're looking for a plane!

-The Citation Jet Exchange

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 08:33 

Post Likes: +4800
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
In our Legacy Citation arena, There are several buyers fighting for each premium bird. I'm busier than I've been in my life. Halfway joking but I think we are building as many Citations annually as Cessna did in the early 80s. Q4 is going to be insanely busy.

Mike

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2023, 10:08 

WWW  Profile

Same here, in the process of closing three airplanes and telling myself that we might not get a 4th quarter rush, that I might get a break, then I have two existing clients looking to upgrade and three new prospects... just this week. The 4th quarter of last year was nuts, looking like this one will be the same.

To Corey's point, the 525 market has dried right up, we were able to acquire a nice CJ2+ and a nice CJ3 earlier this year, in fact with an increase in inventory, I was worried we might have overpaid for the CJ3... Nope. Those markets went right back to extremely tight.

We're currently shopping for a CJ2+ and CJ3... very few to choose from, we also have an M2 client, he's lucky and gets to pick what he wants, several nice airplanes on the market and many more off market.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2023, 01:05 

Post Likes: +1018
Aircraft: G36TN
Chip, maybe you wanna launch “Iwillsellyouajettalk.com”. Not sure how your posts are relatable here on BeechTalk?

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140  Next