banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 22:03 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 140  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aircraft inventory levels are critically low.
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 17:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7329
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Username Protected wrote:

I believe that ALL brokers should be QUALIFIED A&P/IAs AND PILOTS.

I started brokering aircraft when I was performing Pre-Buy Surveys for buyers and time & time again, the so-called brokers wasted a lot of everybody's time and worse, they often flat-out mis-represented the acft .

Chip - Do you meet these qualifications ?

PS: 15 % ???? WTF ! I only charge 7% and that's WITH the above QUALIFICATIONS .

No Sir!

That would be physically impossible for anyone.

We represent buyers of all King Air, Pilatus and TBM models, most Citations, all Hawkers and Premiers as well as some Learjets, Gulfstreams, Falcons and Challengers.

To stay proficient in all of those aircraft would leave zero time FOR SOMEONE to actually do what I do.

Fortunately, I do have qualified A&P’s and Pilot’s to call on when their services are needed. For instance, the test pilots we use are the most qualified in the industry, it isn’t about me… it’s my team.

I’m with you on the 15%… geez! It’s been my experience that percentages only work when selling airplanes that are sub $1M

Obviously, we’re representing buyers not sellers, so we don’t use a percentage at all.

There, I fixed it!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 20:03 

Post Likes: +2225
Company: Tack Mobile
Aircraft: C441
I generally agree with Mike, but what is it they say about bad publicity?

I read maintenance manuals on vacation, and would get little to no value from a broker. For someone who can't tell a citation from a citabria, they will find more value in it. Is it worth 6 figures? Maybe not, but then again if they are happy, what can I complain about.

The brokers who have no clue about airplanes are a different story. They remind me of the Best Buy employee who picks up the router box and starts to read it when a customer asks a question.

:peace:

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 21:16 

Post Likes: +622
Aircraft: Conquest
I’d probably even have time to get a Special Issuance medical…
Not to pry, but why would you need a special issuance medical?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 21:30 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7329
Company: Jet Acquisitions
I’d probably even have time to get a Special Issuance medical…
Not to pry, but why would you need a special issuance medical?

I have obstructive sleep apnea, the reality is that aviation probably saved my life. I realized something was wrong whenever I would fly, turns out I had chronically low oxygen levels.

I had sinus surgery and my surgeon was Richard Grossman, Richard was a pilot, he’s the one who figured it out. When I did my sleep study he said I was the worst he’d ever seen.

I’ve been on a CPAP machine for years. It’s not a huge deal to get your medical back, but that was when I made the decision to pursue the business side of aviation.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 21:44 

Post Likes: +1021
Aircraft: 1984 A36 (TAT TN)
I don't see what the problem is. You don't need to be a general contractor to sell houses...don't need to be a Formula One race car driver to sell cars. You don't need to be a woman to deliver babies. And you don't need to be a pilot to be an expert at selling airplanes.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 22:13 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8426
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
I don't see what the problem is. You don't need to be a general contractor to sell houses...don't need to be a Formula One race car driver to sell cars. You don't need to be a woman to deliver babies. And you don't need to be a pilot to be an expert at selling airplanes.

There are those that like to “do it yourself” and that’s a valid way to do almost anything if you want to trade your time for “saving” money. Usually I find I can hire a better qualified expert to assist for less than the cost of my own time, especially if
I need to spend a lot of time to ramp up my knowledge on a technical subject or market.

I would not buy a turbine aircraft without assistance.

Having said that I can easily see that there are a lot of shysters out there. I feel fortunate to have someone I trust, have a lot of experience with and who does a fabulous job for a fair fee. He hasn’t posted on this thread and doesn’t rely on ceaseless self promotion to get business. He doesn’t need to. While not the “backbone” of aviation he’s pretty darn useful.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 23:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V

I agree.

But then don't create the impression you are a pilot when you aren't.

"To stay proficient in all of those aircraft would leave zero time to actually do what I do."

Is that how a non pilot would answer?

Mike C.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 23:43 

Post Likes: +515
Chip,

I met you some years ago when I brought a, non pilot, friend of mine to Ridgeaire in Jacksonville. We were looking at a King Air 90 that you had for sale.

I had been flying my friend out to West Texas on occasions and he decided that a plane would be nicer than driving. He didn’t need a lot of payload as his usual trips would just be one or two folks and some overnight baggage. I did warn him that if he brought a King Air home his wife would never get in the Baron again. We left Ridgeaire with a
King Air 200.

You’ve come a long way, congrats, but stay grounded.

Best of luck,
CM

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 01:00 

Post Likes: +1727
Aircraft: x23mouse
I generally agree with Mike, but what is it they say about bad publicity?

From 67 pages so far, Is there a prize for poster 1,000 in OPs thread & topic?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 02:55 

Post Likes: +399
Aircraft: Aerostar 600A
You don't need to be a general contractor to sell houses...
don't need to be a Formula One race car driver to sell cars.
You don't need to be a woman to deliver babies.
And you don't need to be a pilot to be an expert at selling airplanes.

Sure, you can let your brother in-law deliver your first child in the kitchen despite that he's not a Gyn-Obs or bonafide mid-wife, but he did watch a tutorial on YouBoob ... :doh:

You have a CHOICE: are you gunna hire a Professional that has at the bare minimum the license, credentials and experience ?

:scratch:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 05:37 

Post Likes: +226
Aircraft: 1969 Aerostar 600,
Don’t get drawn into superfluous discussions about certificates and ratings being the end all qualification for selling aircraft, or, anything for that matter. There’s plenty examples of individuals having all kinds of education and higher degrees that just don’t have a clue. All you have to do is look around to see that. There’s also plenty examples of people out there who do not have a formal education who run circles around those who do. Again, all you have to do is look around. Those who tout their education, count their certificates and degrees (and let you know it) are usually the ones who know the least.

Spend time and do your own homework. Do extensive research on your own time. Don’t trust others to do it for you. When you have to go to others for information, or, whatever, verify the source and the information received. Yes, it does take leg work. In the end when it’s time to decide, it will be you and only you who is responsible for your decision. It will also be very satisfying.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 09:30 

Post Likes: +1642
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
I think you listed a G-III that I flew many years ago. I was in Austin where the camera crew showed up.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 09:55 

Post Likes: +587
Aircraft: Seabee Aerostar 700
I approach every purchase of an unknown high ticket item with a buyer aware attitude.

most times it is not that the seller or broker is trying to deceive but many people do not know what they don't know or their value system for a "good aircraft" is different. If you can't afford to lose the $ than get someone that really understands the situation to help you. Even with the Aerostar where I have spent over 25 years keeping the beast working and as an engineer I understand it pretty well, I still would find a good guru to look at it if I was looking at another one. in addition in the aircraft world many times there are differences of opinions on what is a good aircraft and what it OK to fly with so you really need to understand how your guru values everything.

we must remember that your values for what is OK to fly with is not necessarily mine and judge accordingly. A fresh annual only means that is it legal in someone's mind to fly but not that it necessarily meets my idea of "good to fly"

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 18:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +114
Company: Trailhead Partners
Sure, you can let your brother in-law deliver your first child in the kitchen despite that he's not a Gyn-Obs or bonafide mid-wife, but he did watch a tutorial on YouBoob ... :doh:

You have a CHOICE: are you gunna hire a Professional that has at the bare minimum the license, credentials and experience ?

:scratch:

You make the exact opposite point you're trying to make.

You hire an expert to do the job he specializes in. In Chip's case, he's an expert in buying and selling airplanes, which is not the same skill-set as flying airplanes. Understanding the market, knowing and connecting buyers and sellers, and knowing specifics about year/make/model. This isn't the same as flying.

Reply to topic  [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 140  Next