banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 02:26 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here flying a Vision jet?
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 09:33 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
A very large portion of the check ride and subsequent yearly 61.58’s in a jet are v1 cuts, single engine approaches, single engine go arounds etc, etc.

My type ride only had one takeoff V1 cut and one single engine landing. The vast majority was two engine. Engine out work is easy. The type ride was mostly procedures and systems. This was at FlightSafety in simulator.

Quote:
Curious what a type rating in a SF50 consists of, and am kind of confused on why a type rating is required. Not discounting the complexity of the SF50, it’s just that I see little to no difference in any scenario you would encounter, that you would not see in a Meridian or TBM.

An engine failure in an SF50 is vastly more complex than one in a twin jet. There are a lot of complex factors to assess and then make some complex and irrevocable decisions that need to be right. At times, there is no good answer, you are just fracked. This never occurs in a twin jet.

The emergency and abnormal sections of the AFM are dauntingly large, too.

I think all turbine airplanes, SETP included, should have a type rating, so I would go the other way than excusing the SF50 from one. I bet this would cut the accident rate in half for turboprops that don't presently require a type rating. The MU2 got what is basically a type rating, and the accident rate dropped immensely. Too many King Airs are biting the dust lately, too.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 09:50 

Post Likes: +562
Company: FUSION
Aircraft: B300ER B200 C90 DHC6
why a type rating is required
14 CFR 61.31
(a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:
(1) Large aircraft (except lighter-than-air).
(2) Turbojet-powered airplanes.
(3) Other aircraft specified by the Administrator through aircraft type certificate procedures.

https://ecfr.federalregister.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-61/subpart-A/section-61.31

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 10:03 

Post Likes: +10717
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
why a type rating is required
14 CFR 61.31
(a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:
(1) Large aircraft (except lighter-than-air).
(2) Turbojet-powered airplanes.
(3) Other aircraft specified by the Administrator through aircraft type certificate procedures.

https://ecfr.federalregister.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-61/subpart-A/section-61.31

I suspect the question was "Why does the FAA require a type rating for a SE jet" rather than what FAR states the requirement. :cheers:

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 10:07 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat

I think all turbine airplanes, SETP included, should have a type rating, so I would go the other way than excusing the SF50 from one. I bet this would cut the accident rate in half for turboprops that don't presently require a type rating. The MU2 got what is basically a type rating, and the accident rate dropped immensely. Too many King Airs are biting the dust lately, too.

Mike C.

Pilatus does not have a type rating. Safety stats on that airplane are through the roof good.
That being said, our current insurance climate requires recurrent at least once a year.
Most of the owner flown pilots prefer every 6 months.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 11:00 

WWW  Profile

Pilatus does not have a type rating. Safety stats on that airplane are through the roof good.

That being said, our current insurance climate requires recurrent at least once a year.

Do you not see the connection?

PC-12 safety is high because the hull values are high which causes the insurance to require annual training, and for the owners to have the financial means to accomplish this, often more often as you state.

A type rating would not change the actual behavior much for your type. Still yearly. So the impact to PC-12 would be minimal.

Meanwhile, there are those flying King Airs around without similar requirements.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 11:07 

Post Likes: +5807
Company: Malco Power Design
Aircraft: 1976 Baron 58

Do you not see the connection?

PC-12 safety is high because the hull values are high which causes the insurance to require annual training, and for the owners to have the financial means to accomplish this, often more often as you state.

A type rating would not change the actual behavior much for your type. Still yearly. So the impact to PC-12 would be minimal.

Meanwhile, there are those flying King Airs around without similar requirements.

Mike C.

The PC12 is helped out a bunch by its widespread use in charter and air carrier ops. Turns out pro pilots on 135/121 recurrent schedules are actually better than the average joe. Whooda thunk.

That’s the primary difference between the PC12 and TBM/M600 and I’d say probably accounts for most if not all the difference between the those planes in accident rates.

I’d guess if you were able to isolate the owner flown PC12 it would settle in right about even with the rest of the SETPs.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 12:00 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
The PC12 is helped out a bunch by its widespread use in charter and air carrier ops. Turns out pro pilots on 135/121 recurrent schedules are actually better than the average joe. Whooda thunk.

That’s the primary difference between the PC12 and TBM/M600 and I’d say probably accounts for most if not all the difference between the those planes in accident rates.

I’d guess if you were able to isolate the owner flown PC12 it would settle in right about even with the rest of the SETPs.

I don't believe that is the case. Boutique air has racked up a fair number of dockets and Surf Air ain't that far behind. Many 135 operations racking up issues.

I have flown both airplanes. I think that the PC12 is more pilot friendly and docile, especially in landing configuration.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 13:04 

Post Likes: +636
Not just a matter of "talent" but also of commitment. The type ride is an ATP checkride. Most of us duffers aren't ATP checkride material without some intense training.

As to the other poster's question, I'd presume that the SF50 is like any other jet type rating. Anyone with a full simulator handy (which cost 5x as much as the plane!) and the curriculum ready to go, and a DPE authorized to give the ride in your plane...

I'm fairly confident that's not entirely true - I share my hangar with an SF50 and its owner - he's typed in the jet, and is not a SEATP. It's an option if you want to, but it's a second separate checkride.

But all type rides are to ATP standards, even if you don’t get the ATP along with it.

The only difference is if you have taken the ATP/CTP course and if you have taken, and passed, the written.

And it is not a separate check ride.

Brad

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 16:43 

Post Likes: +1962
Aircraft: Columbia 400
Yes, that was my point. The type-rating check ride is to ATP standards. I could have written that more clearly. Getting a type rating doesn’t net you an ATP. It could though since it has to be flown to those standards.

It appears that Cirrus has taken that as a way to improve safety record. You don’t just get the rating because you had enough money to get the airplane.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 18:30 

Post Likes: +1828
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Pc12 was exactly as hard to fly as MU2, everything just took longer. If pc12’s cost 300k, the accident rate would go through the roof.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 18:36 

Post Likes: +1205
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II
Wouid be interesting to hear from Max CitationMax as he goes on YT. He has flown the Vision jet, then upgraded to M2, and now flying a CJ3.

I bet he has some good insight. I saw a YT video he posted about the VJ but didn’t watch it.

Mike

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 18:38 

Post Likes: +636
Yes, that was my point. The type-rating check ride is to ATP standards. I could have written that more clearly. Getting a type rating doesn’t net you an ATP. It could though since it has to be flown to those standards.

It appears that Cirrus has taken that as a way to improve safety record. You don’t just get the rating because you had enough money to get the airplane.

Sorry, Larry, I included your post for clarification, but my response was directed at the other portion of the post.

Thanks

Brad

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2021, 00:33 

WWW  Profile

Pc12 was exactly as hard to fly as MU2

I suspect not, but I haven't flown a PC-12.

In most regimes, the PC-12 will be easier. In a few select cases, the MU2 will be easier.

Quote:
If pc12’s cost 300k, the accident rate would go through the roof.

Accident rates do track economic environment the plane operates in. That is probably the best correlated factor than anything else since that tends to drive the quality and quantity of training the pilot gets.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2021, 05:11 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5538
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V

Mike C.

This is all very good in principle, and I kind of agree that you can't have too much training, but we have to acknowledge that ultimately all this is killing aviation. So we might be safe in the sky, but we're well on our way to killing the golden goose. There's a reason a trillion more people are into boating, cars, etc - there is such a thing as too high a barrier and we've already passed it. GA is dying.

I'm hoping automation and technology can allow us to lower the bar for entry and sustain in the future. That's our only chance.

Last edited on 21 Jul 2021, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2021, 07:12 

Post Likes: +1828
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Pc12 was exactly as hard to fly as MU2

I suspect not, but I haven't flown a PC-12.

In most regimes, the PC-12 will be easier. In a few select cases, the MU2 will be easier.

Same exact workload. Big flaps for takeoff and landing. Condition lever from taxi to takeoff. Pc12 engine start actually less automated than my dash 10s. Pc12 enormously heavy in roll (like short body mu2). Pc12 requires a little attention to maintain pitch control. Pc12 requires you to use your feet at times in normal ops,mu2 does not. Pc12 is surprisingly pitch sensitive, same as mu2.

I found mu2 landings to be more precise, although harder.

Icing systems about same level of switches to hit.

I thought mu2 was easier to hand fly and trim out to hold the flight director.
That said, I could have a cup of coffee between rotation and end of runway in pc12. Speed kills, apparently based on accident stats.

Point isn’t that mu2 is better than pc12 or anything, it’s that workloads from a pilot perspective are not as different as one might imagine. People I know that fly pc12s all have had jet grade training. When mu2 did that it’s safety level approximated pc12.

Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next