28 Mar 2024, 13:53 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: NORTH AMERICAN OV10 BRONCOS
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2021, 22:36 

Post Likes: +5489
Aircraft: E33/152A
Please post stories, experiences, pics, videos and other info pertaining to this unique and historic aircraft here.

Fairly recent article with some good videos linked in it:

https://jalopnik.com/the-amazing-ov-10- ... 1695837367

1968 Carrier tests on the John F. Kennedy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQuyql36 ... mb_rel_end

VAL-4 Black Ponies

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T8yd19JYp84

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: NORTH AMERICAN OV10 BRONCOS
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2021, 22:50 

Post Likes: +2423
I've always loved that airplane in the same way that I love the A-10. They're so functionally-ugly that they're beautiful.

I was a controller at MCAS Cherry Point in 1993 and 1994. At some point during those years a small group of OV-10s operated for a week or two out of a remote part of the field. I don't remember who owned them or what the occasion was. Maybe a reserve squadron doing training. They took over Taxiway F, which was really an old runway that led to nowhere. I think the only other people to use it were PMO (Marine cops) for driving practice.

EDIT: I just did a little research. They were most likely from VMO-1 (which was deactivated in July 1993) at nearby MCAS New River. I don't remember them flying much, if at all, so they may have just been parked there until the Naval Aviation Depot (NADEP) could do something with them. We couldn't see much of their Taxiway F parking area from the tower. NADEP had a bunch of shrink-wrapped F-4s lined up on another taxiway, reportedly awaiting conversion to the QF-4 target drones.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 09:07 

Post Likes: +5264
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
Username Protected wrote:
They took over Taxiway F, which was really an old runway that led to nowhere. I think the only other people to use it were PMO (Marine cops) for driving practice..

If ya only knew what happened when the tower was closed, middle of the night at Miramar. Driving practice is an understatement. :tape:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 09:29 

Post Likes: +2186
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90
I have no idea why but I’ve always loved the look of that airframe. I also love thee Seabee so perhaps I’m just visually impaired but please don’t tell my AME that.

Has anyone here successfully gotten a civilian (ie not military conversion) rating in the plane? I know there are a couple flying in the US and I’d love to get a rating in one but not sure if anyone’s doing it…

It would be fun to put two smoke systems on the plane and do an airshow routine in… maybe someday I’ll manage that!

Robert

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 09:45 

Post Likes: +3633
Company: FAA Flight Check
Aircraft: King Air 300F/C90GTx
Closest I came to one was going to flight school with a transition OV-10 pilot.
He had some great stories from Desert Storm. I very much appreciated the mission set.
They came from the 'jet' pipeline in pilot training. They were supposedly a very 'rowdy' bunch at the club too :clap:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 10:48 

I have no idea why but I’ve always loved the look of that airframe. I also love thee Seabee so perhaps I’m just visually impaired but please don’t tell my AME that.

Has anyone here successfully gotten a civilian (ie not military conversion) rating in the plane? I know there are a couple flying in the US and I’d love to get a rating in one but not sure if anyone’s doing it…

It would be fun to put two smoke systems on the plane and do an airshow routine in… maybe someday I’ll manage that!

Robert

They come with a factory installed smoke system on one side. Same system can easily be installed in the other wheel well.

No type rating required although it is capable of operating at a high enough weight but not likely in civilian applications.

Rick Clemmons (Cactus Air Force in Carson City) has a flying OV10B and a project one that is undergoing a restoration in Chino by Matt Nightingale. My understanding is that it will be offered for sale. The Bs are ex German Target tugs that came without dual controls. They had a plexiglass aft door and an aft facing seat for the winch operator. They are essentially the same as the A other than that. I sold him most of the components to convert them to the A configuration.

I don’t think anyone is giving instruction or doing checkouts except CDF for new hires. There is another pair of ex German Bs in Kissimmee. Neither are currently airworthy and one is not assembled. The other operated on an Air Force contract to maintain currency for instructor pilots that were part of the foreign military assistance program. I also provided them with parts to convert to the A configuration.

There are about six D models undergoing restoration in Chino now. It is my understanding that they are going to be leased to the military.

I think the Bronco is the ultimate Warbird. It has Turbo Commander reliability, reasonable operating costs and has a very strong appreciation by anyone that has flown one. Bob Hoover told me that it was one of his all time favorite aircraft-said “It is a hoot”

Maybe BT member Eric H. Will chime in with updates. He is an active Bronco pilot.

Last edited on 05 Jul 2021, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 10:51 

Post Likes: +243
Aircraft: Duke B60
CalFire uses quite a few.
https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/10176/ov10.pdf

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 10:52 

Post Likes: +955
From the California Fire Pilots Association website:

"Current CalFIRE aircraft have had all of the armor and weapon systems removed. There is an additional 125 gallon fuel tank in the cargo bay allowing us to stay aloft over a fire for over 5 hours. CalFIRE OV10's have also been totally rewired to accommodate up to the date avionics and navigation systems, as well as all of the radios required for airtactical control of the fire.

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF or CALFIRE) has acquired a number of OV-10As, including the six surviving aircraft from the BLM and 13 U.S. Navy in 1993 to replace their existing Cessna O-2 Skymasters as air attack aircraft. The CAL FIRE Broncos fly with a crew of two, a pilot and the Air Attack Officer, whose job it is to coordinate all aerial assets on a fire with the Incident Commander on the ground. Thus, besides serving as a tanker lead-in aircraft, the OV-10A is also the aerial platform from which the entire air operation is coordinated."

One is based here at Ukiah and we see it fly often. When it takes off (we can see and hear from our house up the canyon), we know there is a fire somewhere and I can check the website to see where it is. The two S-2T air tankers soon follow.

Dan

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 10:57 

They have removed the gun sponsons, replaced the ejection seats and installed air conditioning and a large fuel tank in the cargo compartment. I purchased some airframes from them that were damaged at Homestead AFB during hurricane Andrew and a lot of surplus parts.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 11:22 

Post Likes: +2186
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90
No type rating required although it is capable of operating at a high enough weight but not likely in civilian applications.

Depends on how they are certificated - If civilian owned ones are "experimental" then I believe they would require a Experimental Aircraft Authorization since it's a turbine. No, not a type, but pretty close and requires a checkride with a DPE.

If anyone's looking for an airshow pilot for an OV10, lemme know (and no, I'm not joking!).

Robert

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 11:25 

Depends on how they are certificated - If civilian owned ones are "experimental" then I believe they would require a Experimental Aircraft Authorization since it's a turbine. No, not a type, but pretty close and requires a checkride with a DPE.

If anyone's looking for an airshow pilot for an OV10, lemme know (and no, I'm not joking!).

Robert

If anyone is looking for a Bronco let me know. The one pictured in the OP is for sale. The civilian ones are experimental/airshow-exhibition

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 11:32 

Post Likes: +3633
Company: FAA Flight Check
Aircraft: King Air 300F/C90GTx
I'd like to fly one in the fire fighting/air attack role.
Fits my skill set perfectly I think. :pilot:
If only the timing were better, I'd pursue it.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 13:54 

Post Likes: +7871
Aircraft: OPA
The guy who used to let me ride along and fly the MU2 was an OV10 pilot in SE Asia. Told some crazy stories about flying down rivers at night to draw fire so the others would know where to aim.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 15:05 

Post Likes: +3817
Aircraft: Club Archer
Closest I came to one was going to flight school with a transition OV-10 pilot.
He had some great stories from Desert Storm. I very much appreciated the mission set.
They came from the 'jet' pipeline in pilot training. They were supposedly a very 'rowdy' bunch at the club too :clap:

In 1988 I had a couple OV-10 USMC Captains go through VT-86 with us when the big USMC said they needed to change from Aerial Observer wings to Naval Flight Officer. Very truncated syllabus since they had all already had a tour flying the Bronco.

Heading to Desert Storm on TR we took one of the OV-10 squadrons over. They deck ran prior to us entering the Suez Canal. No idea how heavy they were but the squadron was all lined up "Dolittle style" in the stern and by the time they got to the angle they were clean and climbing away at a steep angle.

Cool plane for sure - the ultimate backcountry plane I suspect.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:OV-10D_launching_from_USS_Roosevelt_(CVN-71)_1990.jpg

Last edited on 05 Jul 2021, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2021, 15:15 

Post Likes: +555
Aircraft: PA31, PA32R

Robert

I believe the Experimental Authorization only applies to turbojets, not turboprops. For example, the Lancair IV-PT and Evolution has no such requirement.

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next