Well, Mr Freas was correct!

:cheers:

Post subject: Re: Buying a Jet
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 13:10 

Post Likes: +3803
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Username Protected wrote:
Thank you, but I'm taking turbines.
I've gotta believe that's a different game.

It's an airplane. Basically the same, numbers are just bigger.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 13:14 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4411
Aircraft: B200, 500B

What prompted my question was the thread started by Chase,
and that incessant BAJ tv commercial.
TV time costs money so they must be making it.

At a high enough level, it stops becoming a question of money saved and starts becoming a question of time saved.

The faster the airplane, the more time required to acquire and keep the skills needed to fly the faster airplane. There's a tradeoff in time saved and I think for a lot of people it stops around the time type ratings start showing up.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 17:42 

Post Likes: +740
Aircraft: M2, erstwhile G58

At a high enough level, it stops becoming a question of money saved and starts becoming a question of time saved.

The faster the airplane, the more time required to acquire and keep the skills needed to fly the faster airplane. There's a tradeoff in time saved and I think for a lot of people it stops around the time type ratings start showing up.

I think that if we are all completely honest with ourselves, the tradeoff, if calculated truly objectively, the tipping point if you will, is a lot earlier than that. We just like to fly our own airplanes. Is it about saving time? Of course. Is it also about learning new skills? Embarking on a hobby or avocation that demands continuous learning? The freedom, and accompanying responsibility, of being able to "self-deploy"? The satisfaction, however imperfect our individual skills, of doing stuff that a lot of folks may not have the opportunity or the drive to do?

All of that goes into it, and we justify it, by greater or lesser degrees, in terms of time saving. If it were only and purely about time savings, we would hire out the piloting and just show up for the ride.

The folks who charter or who own and have a pro pilot; for those it truly is about the time savings. For the rest of us, I think it goes a lot farther than that.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 18:04 

Post Likes: +4416
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
I have three tenants getting ready to give up their jets. They bought to avoid the airlines and after three years , they have evaluated the cost and decided to sell.

One is a CJ2 and the owner pilot says it’s too expensive for personal trips.
One is a Citation 3 and the owner says it’s not cost effective.
One is a sovereign and the usage has dropped to less than 100 hours per year.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 18:22 

I have three tenants getting ready to give up their jets. They bought to avoid the airlines and after three years , they have evaluated the cost and decided to sell.

One is a CJ2 and the owner pilot says it’s too expensive for personal trips.
One is a Citation 3 and the owner says it’s not cost effective.
One is a sovereign and the usage has dropped to less than 100 hours per year.

Current used market, as others have pointed out, is crazy tight. However, I think that after the bloom is off the rose, in terms of aircraft ownership, you will see more of the situations listed above and used market will open up again. Big question of course is when.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 18:35 

Post Likes: +4650

The one with a flight attendant serving a full plate of hot lunch for three people while the captain says landing in 20mins? How does Herjavec plan to eat that burger and clean up and prepare for landing so fast

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 19:53 

Post Likes: +59

Same calculations apply, just multiply by a bazillion. :rofl:

For a jet the fixed expenses are much larger. You have all of the usual (hangar, insurance, inspections, etc.) except that all of those are more expensive, and you also have recurrent training, and payroll (if you have a pilot). There will be a break even, obviously, because yes those operators like BAJ are making a profit along with a good margin, but there's also the aggravation factor that goes with your own plane, so how much is it worth to you to just show up and go vs having your own?

Keep in mind that there's yet another layer of profit involved with people like BAJ. Make note of the disclaimer on their site: "ONEflight International (OFI) is an Indirect Air Carrier, commonly referred to as a Charter Broker, whereas OFI acts as a Principal in buying and reselling air transportation in order to arrange flights on behalf of its Clients with Federal Aviation Regulation 14 CFR Part 135 Direct Air Carriers that exercise full operational control of the flights at all times. "

Companies like BAJ, Sentient, etc. do not own or operate a single aircraft, they simply call real 135 operators, mark it up 10-20%, and make you think your on "their" aircraft.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 20:39 

Post Likes: +40
Aircraft: BE350, BD700
Keep in mind that there's yet another layer of profit involved with people like BAJ. Make note of the disclaimer on their site: "ONEflight International (OFI) is an Indirect Air Carrier, commonly referred to as a Charter Broker, whereas OFI acts as a Principal in buying and reselling air transportation in order to arrange flights on behalf of its Clients with Federal Aviation Regulation 14 CFR Part 135 Direct Air Carriers that exercise full operational control of the flights at all times. "

Companies like BAJ, Sentient, etc. do not own or operate a single aircraft, they simply call real 135 operators, mark it up 10-20%, and make you think your on "their" aircraft.

When I worked for a small 135 turboprop operation 7 years ago, brokers took upwards of 30% of the cost of a short trip. A lot of owners with managed turboprops (and jets) would agree to charter them out at ridiculously low prices (for marginal revenues which could not possibly cover capital or depreciation) which made it very tough for a dedicated 135 operation. It eventually went under.

The industry seems to have evolved into two camps: Fractional ownership and on-demand charter. The former costs more upfront, but you get a very consistent product - your airplane. The latter is cheaper, but you never know what you're goint to get. (Some of these "cheap" charters can literally cost their clients their lives. Here's one:
https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Acc ... AR1902.pdf )

As usual, you always get what you pay for.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 21:16 

Post Likes: +4416
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
Most Charters are still safe, there are also crashes of owner flown planes and planes with professional crews.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 01:07 

Post Likes: +828
Aircraft: BE36, CE501
so how much is it worth to you?

I'm purposely taking this quote out of context, but I get a big kick out of it because we know this is exactly the question 90% of the aircraft owners on Beechtalk continually ask themselves. And the answer usually does not start with a $ sign or most of us would NOT own our own airplanes, lol.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 07:23 

Post Likes: +6568
Many, many years ago I heard something that I'll never forget.
The one executives couldn't buy,
Their most valuable thing,
Was time.

..and that's the value of aircraft.

One other thing I'd like to mention,
I started a thread years ago aimed at businessmen about the decision to occasionally hire a pilot the airplane you normally flew yourself, maybe if you were in the middle of a big deal and you had to give 110% of your focus to negotiations.

I couldn't imagine splitting the focus between business and flying.
One has to suffer.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 07:58 

Many, many years ago I heard something that I'll never forget.
The one executives couldn't buy,
Their most valuable thing,
Was time.

..and that's the value of aircraft.

One other thing I'd like to mention,
I started a thread years ago aimed at businessmen about the decision to occasionally hire a pilot the airplane you normally flew yourself, maybe if you were in the middle of a big deal and you had to give 110% of your focus to negotiations.

I couldn't imagine splitting the focus between business and flying.
One has to suffer.

You are correct, that is why I do not split my focus.

92% of my flying hours are business related. (literally go through the log book each year for tax reasons and play it straight). The only reason that I got started in aviation was for work purposes. I find that the requirements for piloting actually take my mind off of work. It is like skiing in the woods, operating heavy equipment, going to the rifle range, or any other activity that demands 100% focus for safety reasons. From the time I hit the FBO to pack up and start pre-flight the cell phone is turned off, or put into airplane mode. Time to focus.

That being said, there are times when I am tired, when I shift a flight from the early evening to the next morning. But not because I am preoccupied with business concerns. Aviation actually frees me up from work because it requires attention and focus. Particularly for those of us who came to it late in life.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 12:15 

Post Likes: +622
Aircraft: Conquest
...the decision to occasionally hire a pilot the airplane you normally flew yourself, maybe if you were in the middle of a big deal and you had to give 110% of your focus to negotiations.

I have done this on occasion.

One particular deal I made in the back of the airplane made enough money to pay for the airplane several times over.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2021, 13:46 

Post Likes: +154
Aircraft: On the hunt...
...the decision to occasionally hire a pilot the airplane you normally flew yourself, maybe if you were in the middle of a big deal and you had to give 110% of your focus to negotiations.

I have done this on occasion.

One particular deal I made in the back of the airplane made enough money to pay for the airplane several times over.

I spoke to a friend of mine late last year, now very sadly passed away too young, who had flown in a Europe bound G550 cabin piloted by Eric Schmidt (He of Google and Alphabet fame). He said Schmidt said the same thing, it allowed him to clear his head and focus on something else for awhile. So, I guess if you have *bigger* problems you have bigger planes. Of course it helps to have $21B....... I wouldn't mind those problems.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next